How to clean Tacoma gauges

sumeri28

Reaction score
I have detailed 3 brand new Tacoma trucks and literally everytime I take a microfiber towel to the gauge cluster glass, it scratches the ever livin piss out of the glass. What am I doing wrong?? The 4th one I left alone.

Are you wiping the plastic gauge cover with a Raw MF Towel or are you using some sort of lubricant?

So it took you 3x to change your method, why? If I had a decent method I'd let you know, sorry.

The gauges scratch because the plastic is coated with an anti-glare material. Which for any eye glass wearer such as myself, knows what happens if you don't use the special cloths & cleaning solution.

Use what Pro4x mentioned or Meg's PlastX. I apply with small yellow foam and wipe with mf cloth. The one time I didn't, I used my eye-glass cleaner (formulated for anti-glare eye glasses) and a soft eye-glass cleaning cloth. No issues.

Thanks guys! I know it took me too many times but I thought someone had scratched it before me. I'll check a plastic cleaner out. Kind of stupid on Toyota's part for not educating the customer on this.

I use a QD and a long shag microfiber towel to clean scratch sensitive areas...

Thanks guys! I know it took me too many times but I thought someone had scratched it before me. I'll check a plastic cleaner out. Kind of stupid on Toyota's part for not educating the customer on this.
As long as we learn and don't repeat these mistakes. God knows I make plenty.

I have a Tacoma and I have scratched my plastic guages allso. Best thing I have found to lessen the scratches is to lightly dampen a good quality microfiber with glass cleaner and lightly and gently use it on the cluster with almost no pressure. The plastic seems to scratch just looking at it.

I have a Tacoma and I have scratched my plastic guages allso. Best thing I have found to lessen the scratches is to lightly dampen a good quality microfiber with glass cleaner and lightly and gently use it on the cluster with almost no pressure. The plastic seems to scratch just looking at it.

I have noticed! I left the last customer's alone. I told him they would scratch and I'd rather not do that to his brand new truck. Eventually it will need to be dealt with

I know it isn't made for it, but I have use 3M Imperial glaze on gauge panels with good results.

Grab the suede microfiber cloths that you use to clean eyeglasses with; those are probably the most gentle media you can use.

Back