2005 Subaru LGT Wagon--Obsidian Black

Hokie335i

Reaction score
Haven't posted in a while but I'll be making a few threads showing some of my recent work. My brother bought a new to him 2008 BMW 328i 6mt wagon so his old Subaru was up for sale. I decided to detail it for the next owner.

Details:
125k miles
It had been detailed at some point early on in life as there was evidence of buffer trails but we've owned it for 6 years so it had to have been before that. Paint was pretty trashed. Lots of swirls and scratches all over the car.

I started out cleaning the headlights up a bit. I used D300 on a LC Hybrid orange on my flex.

Before:
IMG_1376 by Chris Merritt, on Flickr

After:
IMG_1377 by Chris Merritt, on Flickr

Then came the wash and paint correction
Products used:
CG Citrus wash mixed with APC
Mother's Wheel cleaner for wheels/tires
Tarminator follow up on wheels
Clayed with CG clay lubricant and Nanoskin medium sponge
Blackfire SRC Finishing Polish
LC Hybrid orange
Flex 3401
Wiped down with CarPro Eraser
Sealed with Optimum Opti-Seal
Tires dressed with CarPro Pearl
Rubber Treated with Pearl as well
Interior done with DP Interior Cleaner

I did a one-step correction with Blackfire SRC Finishing polish with a LC Orange pad on my Flex 3401.
Some before shots
Front passenger fender
IMG_1389 by Chris Merritt, on Flickr

Rear passenger door
IMG_1396 by Chris Merritt, on Flickr

Trunk
IMG_1399 by Chris Merritt, on Flickr

Some after pics of these areas with no wipedown or LSP
Fender:
IMG_1392 by Chris Merritt, on Flickr

Rear passenger door:
IMG_1397 by Chris Merritt, on Flickr

Trunk:
IMG_1403 by Chris Merritt, on Flickr

50/50 shot on the front fender
IMG_1390 by Chris Merritt, on Flickr

Beauty Shots! Excuse the crappy camera work, I'm no photographer. Overall I'm happy with how it came out. It was a very quick detail (7 hours or so) so it's not perfect but it was a huge improvement!

DSC_0168 by Chris Merritt, on Flickr
DSC_0174 by Chris Merritt, on Flickr
DSC_0176 by Chris Merritt, on Flickr
DSC_0179 by Chris Merritt, on Flickr

Close up of the Obsidian Black Pearl...I didn't know it had blue and green in it until I began polishing it! The paint was in that bad of shape the whole time my brother owned it.
DSC_0180 by Chris Merritt, on Flickr

DSC_0195 by Chris Merritt, on Flickr
DSC_0197 by Chris Merritt, on Flickr

I didn't take any before interior pics as I wasn't planning to do a writeup on this but here is the after...after 5 years of I don't think ever really being cleaned other than vacuuming.
IMG_1426 by Chris Merritt, on Flickr

Hope you all liked it!

More details on the car for those interested.
BNR 16g turbo
Stg. 2 Tune
Invidia downpipe
Grimmspeed EBCS
Grimmspeed exhaust/dp adapter
Rotiform BLQ 18x8.5 ET45 (i think)
H&R sport
Bilstein HD shocks/struts

Car sold within 24 hours of me listing it on C-list and is on it's way home now to NY! Owner was super excited and had been looking for one for a while. He was a Subaru fanatic so it'll be in good hands!

Nice work! :xyxthumbs:

I bet your brother wanted to keep it after seeing how good it looked!

You really did a nice job, i hope your brother gave you a nice detail bonus for making it look so nice !

Nice work! :xyxthumbs:

I bet your brother wanted to keep it after seeing how good it looked!

Yeah he was a little upset I hadn't done it earlier but he's not into detailing so I never had done it before.

You really did a nice job, i hope your brother gave you a nice detail bonus for making it look so nice !

Thank you, I did get a little bonus since it brought $2.5k higher than he expected when I sold it. The detailing definitely had an impact on the sale as the buyer mentioned the paint at least 5 times while he was checking out the car!

Yeah he was a little upset I hadn't done it earlier but he's not into detailing so I never had done it before.

Thank you, I did get a little bonus since it brought $2.5k higher than he expected when I sold it. The detailing definitely had an impact on the sale as the buyer mentioned the paint at least 5 times while he was checking out the car!

Hahaha him mentioning the paint is even better. Made you feel good and gave you bragging rights to your bro!

Good job 👍

Incredible job of turning that finish around.

That had really spend a lot of unloved time in the sun.

Back