What next?

RLS355

Reaction score
So I have started my first detail on my truck (2007 Chevrolet Colorado). I have the Porter Cable 7424xp using orange pad and Wolfgang compound. Went over the hood two times and looks like I never touched it. The etchings in the paint are still clear as ever. I did the section passes in small areas and good pressure/speed. What would be the next step? Thank You

Started on 5 but went to 6. Looks good from several feet back but up close you see etching everywhere. What are MF pads?

Microfiber pads. They have more cut than the orange foam ones you were using.

Ok, what is the issue? extra hard clear or what?

etching can mean acid rain,pitting ,waterspots .on etching forget it unless u want to sand ,which I don't recommend on a 07 acid rain you can level it with compound and wool pad,to a certain degree.you might need a rotary then use a da for finishing ,what ever u choose as compound ,try to keep the holograms to a minimum slow speed passes no dry buffing etc.if ur looking for a 100 percent clarity in paint with no pics that might be hard to do.do not accelerate paint damage by perfecting it with sanding or using the rotary like a mad man .You will have to accept the finish look as you're correcting safely and not trying to be a hero thinning the clear a good compound is uber Wolfgang or if u want a little more bite 3m white compound ,whatch ur edges with 3m .

Micro pads get matted real quick not good results with compound you will have to do 427 passes .using rotary u cut 1 or 2 passes and move on .

^^ Well yeah, I was assuming he doesn't have and/or can't use a rotary (since he has 3 posts), hence why I recommended MF pads on a DA.

I wouldn't say "not good results" at all with a DA / MF! I've gotten some great results. But yeah, a rotary will cut faster, if that's what's required.

U can only achieve a certain level with a da it's just not that powerful if he knows someone with a rotary it would be faster correct more or better then he can follow up with his da ur probably looking at hood and roof.use da for maximum finishing with no pics hard to tell.

Or for a couple of bucks try the denim pad it's a shot in the dark

I'm on a similar boat. I went through most of the car at least twice using the orange hex logic pad with M105 and white hex logic pad with M205. The swirls and imperfections decreased significantly, but I still see a fair amount of swirls under the sun. Will the MF pad with a DA polisher remove them? If so, will this Meguiars DA Microfiber Cutting Discs, compounding discs, cutting pads with M105 work?

Thanks.

Are you sure the pad was rotating ? In other words...Dont apply to much pressure - allow the machine to do its work.

You need to more aggressive

"Let the paint tell you what to do"

and the paint is telling you to be more aggressive.

Are you sure the pad was rotating ? In other words...Dont apply to much pressure - allow the machine to do its work.
I believe I was applying some pressure. That pad was still spinning, just didn't see how fast. Since then, I have used a sharpie to make a mark on the back of the plate. I'm going to go back and do another round before winter comes to see how it goes.

Back