PDA

View Full Version : Leather cleaning

11Silverado
09-21-2015, 06:37 PM
Is there any benefit to cleaning leather with a dedicated leather cleaner versus APC? Do you guys clean your leather, apply conditioner, and then use a coating?

banzaitoyota
09-21-2015, 06:46 PM
I use leatherique

wdmaccord
09-21-2015, 06:51 PM
Even though some APC's indicate they are safe for leather at proper dilutions, I still prefer to use a dedicated leather cleaner. Chemical Guys leather cleaner has worked great for me for 3 years and I dilute it 1:6. I finish with a filtered water wipedown, then apply a protectant. Currently I am using Blackfire Interior Protectant.

11Silverado
09-21-2015, 06:53 PM
Is there any benefit to using a conditioner before a protectant?

Audios S6
09-21-2015, 06:53 PM
Some APCs have a tendency to make leather appear dry. Also, if you believe a certain leather 'medical professional' named Roger, leather actually wants to be left if the acidic range whereas APC leaves it alkaline.

I use leather masters Strong @3:1 for most work and another brand not sold at AG.

I clean and protect, no conditioner as it were.

11Silverado
09-21-2015, 07:06 PM
Is the same true with cleaning carpets too? You should use a dedicated carpet cleaner? I was just trying to find multiple uses for some products.

FUNX650
09-21-2015, 07:12 PM
I clean and protect, no conditioner as it were.
^^^:iagree:^^^

This is my choice for a leather cleaning & protecting kit:
Leather Master Car Leather Protection & Cleaner Kit, Leather Master Ink Away Ink Remover, ink lifter, leather cleaner, leather protection (http://www.autogeek.net/leather-master-kit-ink-away.html)

Bob

AttyVette
09-21-2015, 07:29 PM
I use leatherique and then use 303 Protectrant after that for keeping up the leather (and interior) of my vehicles that have leather seats.

CDot
09-21-2015, 08:15 PM
Even though some APC's indicate they are safe for leather at proper dilutions, I still prefer to use a dedicated leather cleaner

This is my choice for a leather cleaning & protecting kit:
Leather Master Car Leather Protection & Cleaner Kit, Leather Master Ink Away Ink Remover, ink lifter, leather cleaner, leather protection (http://www.autogeek.net/leather-master-kit-ink-away.html)

What they said--I don't feel comfortable using APC as my normal cleaner. I'm currently using Leather Masters on my car & Mothers Leather Cleaner/Conditioner on the wife's.

Natron
09-21-2015, 10:15 PM
Our testing showed that Meg's leather cleaner cleaned better than APC. I don't know how important it is, but I feel better knowing I'm using what is recommended. Nathan. Darn it, now I have to research the PH factor.

glfnaz
09-21-2015, 10:20 PM
I use DG Vinyl Leather protectant. I just did my daughters Kate Spade leather purse and it came like new.

Audios S6
09-21-2015, 10:44 PM
Darn it, now I have to research the PH factor.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/32605-opinions-using-apc-clean-leather-9.html

Start from the beginning (You'll find Roger's posts around #85). Roger & Judy both really know their stuff when it comes to leather.

D181 does contain metasilicate (probably the sodium variety). The SDS identifies a pH of around 11.5-12.4.

spewking
09-22-2015, 05:27 AM
I do scrub with APC and a brush, then proceed to use the Leather Master series of products...cleaner, vital, protect.

I recommend you look at the vital product. It is a conditioner that "moisturizes" the leather. I realize the leather in our cars does not absorb much, but in my recent use, vital did result in my leather feeling more flexible, giving, and grainy vs. the firmer and slicker feel prior.

I have used 303 lexol and leatherique and the leather master is the best IMHO.

frankprozzoly
09-22-2015, 06:45 AM
I use leather masters but sometimes use zaino after cleaning. I love the scent. What do you guys think of zaino