My towels no longer dry

Charleston

Reaction score
What a paint!

My towels have lost absorbency almost completely. I wash my towels on hot, and never use detergent and also hang dry.

Only thing I can think is my use of quick wax as a drying aid.

How can I correct this? Vinegar in the wash?

Fabric softener will makes towels do that, are you sure none for one them?

Absolutely never used fabric softener.

Hang drying is very common treatment of microfibers and WW.

I wash all my microfibers with just All Free Clear with DP Microfiber Cleaner (no fabric softener) in cold water. Then dry on no heat (air fluff) and no dryer sheets

Never wash them on HOT. It potentially damages the fibers and so does drying them in the dryer for prolonged periods of time. You most likely toasted the fibers.

Always wash on short cycle and cold water.

I've had a different experience washing towels on hot, namely that I've never had a problem with it. I had drying towels that lost some absorbency due to using spray wax as a drying aid, and I soaked them in very hot water in a 5 gallon bucket (added a pot of boiling water to the tap water in the bucket) with a couple ounces of OPC for 15 min then rinsed a couple of times and washed in washer with the Wolfgang towel detergent and they regained their original absorbancy. I would think that if I damaged the fibers the towels wouldn't absorbed or they would scratch. Neither happened. What temp are most household water heaters set to? I think mine is about 135, which doesn't seem that hot.

Absolutely agree on not drying them on high. I use the low heat setting for the dryer. The dryer is where I think they can be damaged by exposing to heat for an extended time period.

I've washed my MF Towels for years with All Free & Clear. Tumble dry low. Just recently started using the HD MF product. Results are basically the same as AFC.

You could try soaking them in pad cleaner. I use DP's version and it works wonders getting the pads clean. It might work for the towels.

Never wash them on HOT. It potentially damages the fibers and so does drying them in the dryer for prolonged periods of time. You most likely toasted the fibers.

i disagree with the hot water part. boiling microfibers has long been a treatment for towels with certain conditions, and that water is a lot hotter than the hot feed in your house for your washer. i wash all my towels in hot and never have any problems...and they are very high quality towels, almost all microfiber madness at this point.

the recommendation for soaking in Power Clean and hot water is a good one. my first remedy recommendation would be a machine agitation and then soak session in oxi clean (powder well dissolved prior to adding towels) and hot water, mainly because it's so cheap and effective, but that isn't for everyone and we know APC will work. i have an older 80 series washer that allows me to soak things, add stuff whenever i want, etc. i know some machines are not friendly with that process, but there are ways to do whatever you need such as the bucket soak mentioned above, etc.

also, i used to hang dry and have found machine drying (i use automatic and i believe it doesn't say high or low heat, just more dry or less dry - everyone's machines are different) is vastly superior. i've had WAY less linting and just overall better experiences with my towels now that i machine dry.

it makes sense because i think hang drying leaves more opportunity for anything in your household water to stay bound to the fibers. i do have a very comprehensive softening system for my household well water but the fact remains that it goes through pipes, sits in the water heater with a sacrificial anode, etc., so the water is always going to have solids in some capacity.

Not true

A residential dryer does not get hot enough to damage MF

I always wash mine on hot with a little all free and clear, I also put in a extra rinse cycle....on a side note I always wet and wring out my MF towels right before I use them to "bring em back to life"

I have noticed with WW drying towels, even with proper care, they do give up the ghost after some time. Of course this is later than sooner.

I always wash MF in HOT water and extra rinse using Wolfgang Microfiber Cleaner and Rejuvenator; note, this detergent is designed for HE washers & calls for HOT/cold WASH/rinse). I also use white vinegar in rinse cycle.

I tumble dry on low/no heat and hang dry while still a little damp.

As others have mentioned, drying on high heat or using fabric softener are main things which damage MF.

I also use Mike@DedicatedPerfection's Smack Towel Method http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ke-phillips/88875-smack-towel-method-stm.html (use lint roller once dry).

I wash in hot with CG microfiber wash. I run a double rinse cycle and put cleaner in the fabric softener compartment so if there is any residual softener it will get washed out. Then run a rinse and spin cycle using vinegar. Dry on low heat.

Every video i've seen says

Wash - HOT
Dry - Low heat, or perm. press

AG & CG both videos, says the above, I only use CG or Wolfgang MF soap.

I posted a thread about this a while ago and not one single response. Honestly, what it is is that your washing machine just doesnt get the fibers clean enough. They get matted together with dirt and will just push water around. I got a $3k Washer/dryer set so i could get my WW towels clean for my business and they still dont get all the dirt out.

Solution: Pressure washer! Here's a video, I did this to all my towels and the next day when i brought them into work my guys all thought that I busted out new towels and didnt believe it when i told them it was the old towels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5mILjPtgZM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXGfoK0ALqM

How about pre soaking, get allot of dirt out before the washing machine:

Pre soak 5 gal bucket, most likely hot water:

Dawn dish detergent? How much approx?

CG's "Nonsense" how much?

Any ideas for pre soaking cleaners??????

What a paint!

My towels have lost absorbency almost completely. I wash my towels on hot, and never use detergent and also hang dry.

Only thing I can think is my use of quick wax as a drying aid.

How can I correct this? Vinegar in the wash?

I think you hit on the problem right from the beginning. The wax is building up in the towels, especially since you aren't using any detergent at all.

You should probably experiment using a bucket to see what it takes to get the wax buildup out of a towel.

Try soaking in hot water with a detergent (there's many to choose from at AG), or something like All Free & Clear. If that takes it out, you'll know what to do with the rest of the towels.

If not, try boiling one to see it that will do the trick.

Once you know what works, you're off and running.

Best regards,
Jim

Back