EXO v2 is killing me...

ssmith96

Reaction score
2014 BMW, Metallic Paint.

Tried EXO v2 on my trunk today. Clayed with nanoskin, Compounded with m105, Polished with sf400, sprayed with Gtechniq Panel Wipe and then went to it. I split the trunk in 2 sections, put about 5 dots of EXO on the applicator, spread it, and then lightly wiped with one microfiber then buffed with another.

Left streaking visible in the sun, sort of what you see if you don't apply wax correctly.

Cut to take 5 of repolishing and trying again....

Now I'm doing the TRUNK in quarters, so 4 sections, I basically wiped on, and wiped IMMEDIATELY off before it had a chance to flash.

Thats the only way I got it to sorta kinda not streak, it still did a little bit, but basically wiping it quickly before it flashed. It was like 5pm trunk was in the shade, panel wasn't hot, ambient temp was prob 60.

Any tips?

The depth is great, but I refuse to have any streaking.

Was it a new unopened bottle of EXO. In that low a temperature you should have been able to do 1/2 the trunk lid no problem. I use it in 90 degree weather. I usually have to work in about 16x16 sections. Are you doing a cross hatch or straight lines. Also are you applying a second coat?

Was it a new unopened bottle of EXO. In that low a temperature you should have been able to do 1/2 the trunk lid no problem. I use it in 90 degree weather. I usually have to work in about 16x16 sections. Are you doing a cross hatch or straight lines. Also are you applying a second coat?

It was brand new.

I went left to right, and then up and down. I did eventually apply a second coat.

Did you wait 40 minutes...or in that temp maybe 50-55 minutes before coats? Even after the second coat you still had streaking? I've never used just EXO in cooler weather. The one time I used it in cool weTher I was topping C1 with it. I think maybe you should try adjusting your time before removal. Maybe try increasing in 15 or 30 second intervals. If you get to the point where the EXO becomes hard to remove you'll need to go back up some. You might also want to change applicators and see if that makes a difference. I've used EXO several times and never had any streaking, but I use it at the top end of the temperature range. I'm getting ready to me off. I believe in this video he's applying in temps in the 50's. It's C1 and EXO. Not sure if it will help might be worth watching. Good luck.

So you're saying I can use this in direct sunlight? If thats the case I'll give it another go tomorrow.

So you're saying I can use this in direct sunlight? If thats the case I'll give it another go tomorrow.

That's not what it says on their website application tips:

Ensure that your vehicle is out of direct sunlight but warmer than 5 degrees celsius, is completely dry and will stay dry for at least 3 hours after application

That's not what it says on their website application tips:

Ensure that your vehicle is out of direct sunlight but warmer than 5 degrees celsius, is completely dry and will stay dry for at least 3 hours after application

I know that. Just going off what the other member said, I was asking him if he was applying in the sun.

Often times when applying a coating, any coating, if you see streaking or having it is a sign that the surface is not surgically clean. I've never applied that particular coating however, but this has rung true for many others I have applied.

Ah, yes...coatings. There are so many factors that have to be perfect...decon, Polish, prep, experience, temp, humidity, technique, the Stars lining up, etc...any of which can effect the result. I remember Renny Doyle once saying he didn't feel totally comfortable with coatings until he had done approx 300 cars...and that's coming from one of the best professional detailers in the world.

Back