Which "Non Pro" Coating offers the most for a small business?

98LowRanger

Reaction score
So I am running out of my hoard of Opti-Coat 2.0. I bought a bunch of it last year when Optimum decided to do away with it for Gloss Coat. My customers have been very happy with it so I sill want to offer a high quality coating next detailing season. The problem is that my small, home based, going on 3rd year detailing business is not my full time job. This season I only had 5 coating jobs so I just don't have the volume to offer a "pro" coating like Cquartz Finest or Opti-coat Pro (to name a few since they ALL seem to have a pro version). I still want to offer a coating though because it is great to be able to offer this service and it offers me a decent profit margin. I get $345-$440 for applying a paint coating (that includes a thorough wash, decontamination, and 1 step polish) when I was using Opti-coat 2.0.

My question is, which of the main coatings listed below offer the closest benefits of a "pro coating"? Do the professional versions just last longer? I'm not trying to ask "which consumer available coating is the best", but I guess in a way I am....haha.

1) 22ple - VX Pro2, VX Pro, VX3 Signature, VX1 Signature, VM1/VR1 - For some reason I am the most intrigued by 22ple. I have used their VX Pro glass coating on a set of wheels, but can't comment on the longevity, which is the complaint I hear about 22ple's coatings. I am very interested in trying their VX Pro2 because I have heard very few experiences with it so far.

2) CarPro Cquartz - Cquartz, UK edition, DLUX - I have no experience with this coating. I have heard a lot of people say it is difficult to apply (mainly the UK edition). Seems to be one the of more common consumer grade coatings found in professional detailing shops.

3) GTechniq - C1 Crystal Lacquer, EXO Extra Durable Hybrid, C4/C5 - I also have no experience with this coating either. Overall it seems to be the most affordable of these 3 options.

What do you guys think??

I love C1/EXO. The 22pleVX pro will have a finish very much like Opti-coat 2.0. Doesn't have a real slick feel, but performs great. Once you get used to the product you can get 2-3 small to mid size cars out of a 30 ml bottle. It's also very easy to use. The Pro 2 has a slicker feeling, performance is very similar, number of vehicles about the same, and as I'm sure you know up to 3 years durability. I've never used CQuartz other than a couple bottles that had bad caps on the bottles and that was a mess. I've heard it's a pretty finicky product though.

Why are you not considering Optimum's replacement for 2.0, Gloss-Coat?

GC might cost a little more but I don't how know it could be any easier to apply. And the results are phenomenal. After using it once, there was no reason for me to try anything else.

Of course, I am a quality > cheap price detailer so a few extra bucks for a premium product like GC makes sense for me.

I decided against GC because you can't get the volume out of one tube you can from the other coatings. I get 4 or 5 out of a bottle if Americoat (yes it's a pro product) but I also get several out of CQuartz as well.
I will say I've only applied it once but used almost the entire syringe.

Glosscoat tubes can do two vehicles from what I've seen, it all varies on what you're doing(wheels/size vehicle). I'd put a priority on what your customer wants to spend and what you can offer at the right price. Coatings will always cost more than waxes, but they perform really well for the relative cost.

i decided against gc because you can't get the volume out of one tube you can from the other coatings. I get 4 or 5 out of a bottle if americoat (yes it's a pro product) but i also get several out of cquartz as well.
I will say i've only applied it once but used almost the entire syringe.

americoat still in business?

Are you set on those brands only? What about Duragloss Eviroshield, C.A.R BP1/2, or the Autogeek house brands? What other criteria do you seek in the coating?

I'm a part timer here too. Personally, I go with CQuartz UK and DLux. Great price point and amazing gloss and hydrophobic properties.

Are you set on those brands only? What about Duragloss Eviroshield, C.A.R BP1/2, or the Autogeek house brands? What other criteria do you seek in the coating?

I really want to try to bulletproof coating. Seems to be around the same price as the NetShield. Anyone have any preference on which looks/preforms better?

Yup, the had some sort of merger and moved some people around.

Ive tried looking for them online but have no luck. I just purchased a 50ml of it off a facebook group and hopefully going to apply it to my DD or the wifes SUV.

I really want to try to bulletproof coating. Seems to be around the same price as the NetShield. Anyone have any preference on which looks/preforms better?

I made a typo, should've read "Duragloss Enviroshield"

If you are speaking of Sonax Polymer Netshield, then that is not a coating. SPNS is a topper that was made for their coating across the pond to fight water spots. It happens to be one of the most durable "toppers" around and can last a few months over bare paint.

Why are you not considering Optimum's replacement for 2.0, Gloss-Coat?

GC might cost a little more but I don't how know it could be any easier to apply. And the results are phenomenal. After using it once, there was no reason for me to try anything else.

Of course, I am a quality > cheap price detailer so a few extra bucks for a premium product like GC makes sense for me.

Please elaborate on why GC is a premium product over CQUK, 22PLE, Gtech and the others mentioned.

Rwright,
What has been the consensus of longevity with the Duragloss Coating? ...vs something like OGC?

Rwright,
What has been the consensus of longevity with the Duragloss Coating? ...vs something like OGC?

I did post in the DG thread with a photo after 50 weeks of 1/2 time in the garage, rare washes and no toppers. For a geek, it was probably time to abandon, I expect the average consumer would be thrilled with the way it looked after 50 weeks.

I've seen a solid year from DGNCC on a car that sat out all the time but was washed more frequently and no toppers. Sheeting was starting to degrade as was beading, but still very much alive. It will likely be august 2016 before I see it again to know how it is holding up.

Please elaborate on why GC is a premium product over CQUK, 22PLE, Gtech and the others mentioned.

I was told that GC was designed to compete with premium and pro-coatings from other brands; specifically, they were targeting coatings such as CQuartz Finest during the development of GC.

I was told that GC was designed to compete with premium and pro-coatings from other brands; specifically, they were targeting coatings such as CQuartz Finest during the development of GC.

I would expect it to have better solvent resistance if it were to compete at the pro level, or even at the non-pro, non-spray coating level, or even at the sealant level.

Per Ron@optimum, "OGC is not as chemical resistant as 2.0 and may be removed by strong solvents."

But don't take my word for it, the internet never forgets.;)

This is not my attempt at starting a coating war. Coating business in general would advance so much if we could all just get through the marketing and on to the true pros and cons of each brand. It's great that optimum is on here and other forums to provide that kind of info. I applauded Avi for the same when he shared info about Eraser that you just can't get anywhere else.

So IMHO, GC is not so premium if it can't hold up to something like tarminator that any consumer can and will readily pick up. But it certainly has other benefits. I just don't hold it any higher than CQ, 22PLE or others.

Back