Forced to live with BROWN tires?

evo77

Reaction score
It appears that my Yoko sidewalls have a permanent brown hue. I've read about the blooming and am still uncertain about how long it occurs and whether or not you want to get rid of it considering it's meant to preserve tire life.

The tires are about 8 months old. No heavy dressings ever. Washed multiple times. And yesterday I set out to achieve a100% black tire.

The photos attached are my results. Using Megs APC at full strength and 10 applications of scrubbing. On passes 9 and 10 there was pretty much no more brown in the foam. Anything more seemed to be a waste of product, time and effort.

I've used Purple Power, Mothers Back to Black Renew and of course Megs APC and all achieve the same result.

If you look closely you will see a distinct border between the outside tread where it's brown and then black/grey. It's like the brown is truly a permanent layer.

I've read all the recommendations for products. Everybody has their favorites. I'm in a position now where I'm a little leary of wasting money on another product only to find it does nothing. Or are my expectations way too high and will I just have to settle for a tire that'll always brown?

I just started using Stoners Tarminator to clean tires. Removed serious browning problems for me. Spray a small amount on a dry tire and wipe it off aggressively with a microfiber. Like I said, I just started using this, so if anyone has had problems with this method please let me know.

After you've cleaned them as well as you can, but before applying any treatment, try wiping them with lacquer thinner.

I don't think this is normal at all, I'd be back at the tire shop yelling at somebody by now or calling Yokohama demanding new tires.

Zep 505 full strength. You can pick it up at Home Depot.

After you've cleaned them as well as you can, but before applying any treatment, try wiping them with lacquer thinner.

What does the lacquer thinner do?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The browning is called blooming and is caused by using harsh tire cleaners and some solvent based tire dressings.
These harsh cleaners and dressings are leaching out the UV and ozone blockers to the surface of the tire causing excessive browning.
This was explained by Dr. G of Optimum.

Meguiar's Super Degreaser or Amazing Roll Off.

As others have said, go with a WATER BASED dressing.

I think they just need cleaned better. That is just oxidation from "dead" rubber

It appears that my Yoko sidewalls have a permanent brown hue. I've read about the blooming and am still uncertain about how long it occurs and whether or not you want to get rid of it considering it's meant to preserve tire life.

The tires are about 8 months old. No heavy dressings ever. Washed multiple times. And yesterday I set out to achieve a100% black tire.

The photos attached are my results. Using Megs APC at full strength and 10 applications of scrubbing. On passes 9 and 10 there was pretty much no more brown in the foam. Anything more seemed to be a waste of product, time and effort.

I've used Purple Power, Mothers Back to Black Renew and of course Megs APC and all achieve the same result.

If you look closely you will see a distinct border between the outside tread where it's brown and then black/grey. It's like the brown is truly a permanent layer.

I've read all the recommendations for products. Everybody has their favorites. I'm in a position now where I'm a little leary of wasting money on another product only to find it does nothing. Or are my expectations way too high and will I just have to settle for a tire that'll always brown?
I have used "Bleach White Tire Cleaner" for years. You can get it just abut anywhere including Wal-Mart. Have been very pleased.

What tire dressing are you using?

I agree with what has been said:

Use a water-based dressing or get a tire coating.

I would like to chime in and say that Tuff Shine is my go-to for tires that give me a hassle.

I've always had great results using Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner on brown tires.

Back