PDA

View Full Version : Odd situation - extremely sticky paint? Pads squeeling, hopping...then POOF.

heckhole
10-19-2015, 09:51 PM
I was doing a 2 stage buff on a red Expedition tonight when I experienced random areas of the vehicle becoming very grabby. My PC would go absolutely nuts and my DeWalt would squeal like a pig.

This happened on the hood and the rear quarter. Also when this happened, I changed pads, compounds, everything, it kept happening. I figured I'd take a chance and slow my PC down to 4 and see what would happen. The various compounds M105, M205, V32, Optimum Polish 11 would eventually SHOOT out dust from the polish and begin to work like nothing ever happened.

I took some new pads out of the package, I PA wiped and still...same thing. Opened a fresh bottle of 105 and the same exact thing happened, except the polish turned into a rock hard pile of goop on the paint. I sprayed with IPA and it softened and came off.

Any clue as to what happened? It wasn't hurting the paint, and unfortunately I had no choice but to continue working through this as the car was due for delivery tomorrow morning.

I seem to recall a vehicle last year that the paint was grabby and the pads would squeal occasionally, but NOTHING like what happened tonight.

heckhole
10-19-2015, 10:04 PM
Should mention the panels never got hot, or more than slightly warm. Shop temp was about 65 degrees. Also the polish residue was almost impossible to remove by microfiber but could wipe it off using a dry finger??

AGOatemywallet
10-19-2015, 10:20 PM
Is the paint dried out?

Sometimes this will cause the symptoms you are describing

A soak with Meguiars #7 before polishing may help

Pictures could help too, as well as year make, model, OEM paint or respray

heckhole
10-19-2015, 10:32 PM
OEM paint. 2007, Red Ford Expedition.

Didn't look or feel different from any other part of the vehicle. Does it have to be #7 or would another glaze work?

MrOneEyedBoh
10-21-2015, 08:06 AM
I have an 06 Ford, and never experienced it. Maybe there is a lot of bonded contaminants on the clear coat?

Detail-Impressions
10-21-2015, 08:20 AM
Washed and clay? IronX?

sealthedeal
10-21-2015, 08:23 AM
Washed and clay? IronX?

Would the presence of iron contaminants make a traditional clear coated paint sticky ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

refreshauto
10-21-2015, 12:12 PM
Had a truck like that also, but it was covered in tar before it got to me. After removing all the tar and doing a complete decontamination the entire truck was like that

Todd@RUPES
10-22-2015, 04:59 AM
Sticky paint is usually caused by the porosity of the paint. That is, the paint is literally sucking the lubricants of the compound into itself leaving behind a high level of solid components on the surface. The result is under lubrication and excessive dusting. This can cause a nasty screeching with a rotary (or a squeal) and make polishing unpleasant.

While some products and compounds will work better (and some will be atrocious) on porous paints, reduce speed further and keep the surface lubricated.

GSKR
10-22-2015, 06:10 AM
it was probably m105 did you try a different compound?