Picking a dual action polisher

apierce1289

Reaction score
So I just order a Flex 3401 and I need a smaller polisher to add to the arsenal for smaller spots on my car. I'd like something high end that can use a range of pads (hopefully down to 3 inch). If I need a medium sized polisher and a really tiny one I guess I'll do that but what are your thoughts for what I'm looking for? Price doesn't matter since I dropped a good amount on the Flex. I'd rather continue with top quality machines.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Rupes makes the best small machines (either pneumatic or electric). Personally, I just use my old GG6 with a 3" backing plate.

I'm looking at the Flex PE8 looks good to go with my Flex 3401.

Is there anything else I should get now that I have the Flex PE8 and the Flex 3401?

Is there anything else I should get now that I have the Flex PE8 and the Flex 3401?

I dont think so,

you already have great set up.

I been using PC 6" and GG3"
and trying to ditch gg3" and upgrade to PE-8, since its rotary its some what easier in tighter spot also it has option for even smaller pads

I dont think so,

you already have great set up.

I been using PC 6" and GG3"
and trying to ditch gg3" and upgrade to PE-8, since its rotary its some what easier in tighter spot also it has option for even smaller pads
My two Flex machines aren't even here yet. The Flex 3401 is still on its way by UPS and the Flex PE8 hasn't even left the autogeeks warehouse yet lol. I can't wait to get them and start learning :D

My two Flex machines aren't even here yet. The Flex 3401 is still on its way by UPS and the Flex PE8 hasn't even left the autogeeks warehouse yet lol. I can't wait to get them and start learning :D

Respect that PE 8 you can burn the living heck out of headlights and paint in zero time!

I have the PE 8 and the Rupes Mini.

Respect that PE 8 you can burn the living heck out of headlights and paint in zero time!

I have the PE 8 and the Rupes Mini.
Forgot I needed a small random orbital da. Just ordered the rupes mini lol. Now all my bases are covered.

you didnt really need extra small DA machine tho haha

damn you balinng $$$$

Forgot I needed a small random orbital da. Just ordered the rupes mini lol. Now all my bases are covered.

:dblthumb2:

I also use my Mini to apply sealants, waxes etc with a 4" Black or Blue Pad. You can get into the small areas and it only takes about 20 minutes to do an average sizes car. I love it because it's light and easy to maneuver. I use a small spatula and butter the pad that way.

you didnt really need extra small DA machine tho haha

damn you balinng $$$$
Yeah it's a good chunk of change for all these machines but I'd rather get all my bases covered. Plus I'd rather drop a lot on top quality machines then a little on cheap crap because cheap #### never lasts so if I'm going to invest in this stuff I'm going all in.

Yeah it's a good chunk of change for all these machines but I'd rather get all my bases covered. Plus I'd rather drop a lot on top quality machines then a little on cheap crap because cheap #### never lasts so if I'm going to invest in this stuff I'm going all in.

haha understandable.

btw autogeek doesn't sell cheap #$&*# that doesnt last long just fyi
except meguiars polishers lolll

I believe Larry at AMMO has been using same PC and GG6" polisher for his entire detailing life.

haha understandable.

btw autogeek doesn't sell cheap #$&*# that doesnt last long just fyi
except meguiars polishers lolll

I believe Larry at AMMO has been using same PC and GG6" polisher for his entire detailing life.
It happened with my automotive tools that I have (I got every tool imaginable a couple thousand $$ worth, I might have a slight tool addiction lol). I bought some cheap ones (then they performed crappy or broke and all that stuff cheap crap does) and then I wished that I had purchased the really good ones (professional stuff, which is all I buy now). Which made me learn my lesson with my ratchets in s*** like that. I love working on and customizing cars so yep basically polishing stuff is all stuff I'm missing besides an engine stand and engine crane :) would like a lift some day but who knows.

Just ordered the rupes mini lol.

I would of waited...
images

I would of waited...
images
From the research I've done rotary are good but can leave holograms and you should finish with a dual action polisher whenever possible. No? Every tool has its place just like different types of ratchets (I've got multiples of all ratchets all of which perform the same task but maybe slightly longer or flexible at the head) even one pneumatic and at least one manual ratchet.

I purchased the flex PE-14 rotary because of the power and low speed setting.I also got 1"-3" mini backing kit and pads.Mike suggested this machine because of the slow speed giving extreme control in tight areas. I also have 4"- 6" backing plates for other uses.I will also use it to polish aluminum on my dumping beds and equipment trailers. It has already helped me on a truck that I had to sand some defects out of the paint.I did not use it on full speed and it still made quick work compared to the DA.Of course I still finished with a DA and finishing polish.My other tools are Flex 3401hd and Porter Cable DA's. I am a beginner also but prefer good tools that last and perform nicely. Don't forget the $14.00 extension so you can reach and see better.

It doesn't really matter in this specific instance, but posting for those purchasing a Dual Action buffer for the first time. I find it very much true for most items in life also:

Buy the item that is one step up from what you are settling on. Why ?? Because you will want the upgrade shortly after purchase, and the additional cost upfront is not as costly as replacing the unit because you settled !

It doesn't really matter in this specific instance, but posting for those purchasing a Dual Action buffer for the first time. I find it very much true for most items in life also:

Buy the item that is one step up from what you are settling on. Why ?? Because you will want the upgrade shortly after purchase, and the additional cost upfront is not as costly as replacing the unit because you settled !
Exactly why I purchased the best. Plus if you have any issues most times it's the user and not the machine. But with cheap stuff you can't tell.

Exactly why I purchased the best. Plus if you have any issues most times it's the user and not the machine. But with cheap stuff you can't tell.

first of all, I dont think there is such a thing as best polisher when it comes to detailing.

and more expensive machine won't bring out better result than cheaper one just because, and vise versa,
its all about the user and technique.
main benefit of having more expensive machine is less vibration and working time.

what youre saying is "person with more expensive camera will take better pictures" when actually everything is depends on person who is holding the camera.

Back