mothers clay...how is it?

jam

Reaction score
Just wondering how Mothers clay stacks up. I believe it is Mothers Califronia Gold Caly system or somethig like that?

Not being experienced with claying, when i last used it (with quick detailer) all it did was slide like crazy.....didn't give me the impression it was doing anything.

I know what you are saying glides easy, but it is working. You can definitely tell it's working because you can see the gold clay getting dirty. I used it several times, and it does not seem to be harsh on the paint.

There are special lubes for claying. You used a liquid wax type of thing. It's a fine mist, or soapy water and just gliding the bar across a panel in overlapping strokes. I use circles though. I cut a 1/4 inch section and stamp it on a clean surface until it's got good coverage area. I then use it on one side until it gets too dirty, I then switch over to the other after I rinse the bar as much as I can in clean water.

Mothers clay is good stuff. Glides easy with Showtime detailer, especially if your finish is only lightly contaminated.

I agree Mother's clay is good stuff but they only sell the clay bar in a kit. It comes with the Showtime QD, a small bottle of cleaning wax and a small 2.8 oz bar of clay for $18 bucks. A little pricey if you ask me.

I agree Mother's clay is good stuff but they only sell the clay bar in a kit. It comes with the Showtime QD, a small bottle of cleaning wax and a small 2.8 oz bar of clay for $18 bucks. A little pricey if you ask me.
yeah, it's pricey...you could use Clay Magic then...not bad at all form what I've heard...never used it myself though...

claymagic is the way to go !10.99 for clay bar and lube bottle

claymagic is the way to go !10.99 for clay bar and lube bottle

:whs:

I used Mother's as well. The first use it was great, the second time it began to crumble on me. That could be my fault however.

I had purchased Meguiars Clay kit since it was about the same price as Mothers but you got more clay and a MF towel. I prefer Showtime over Meguiars detailer. Is Clay Magic's lube usable as a detailer like Showtime.

ok, thanks guys! I guess I will give it a try again.

Is it best to use the clay as a whole piece or make small pieces?

ok, thanks guys! I guess I will give it a try again.

Is it best to use the clay as a whole piece or make small pieces?

It doesn't matter as far as results go, but it's a good idea to at least break it into 2 pieces. That way, if you drop one, you will still have a good piece.

Back