Question about microfibers not absorbing water and how to measure car soap

Based

Reaction score
Ok first question:

Do I measure car soap by volume or weight? Like when it says .5 ounce per gallon do I just use a kitchen measuring cup or do I have to weigh it? Now that I say that it sounds silly but whatever. I'm asking because when I use a kitchen measuring cup and put 2.5 ounces it seems like a lot and when I put water in the bucket after the soap is in I can't even get it half full with water before the suds overflow the bucket.

Second question:

I use the microfiber towels you get at Sam's I think they are called pro force. When I use them to sry my car they don't really absorb the water they just push it around. Is that supposed to happen? I don't get any water spots. My theory is maybe they aren't supposed to absorb the water but just pick up the minerals in the water so they don't leave spots.

Thanks guys for the answers I am just trying to get it right.

Yes, measure by volume. When filling the bucket stick the hose to the bottom so you are not injecting air into the water/soap mixture.
Wet the towel and wring it out before use. Damp microfibers absorb water much better than 100% dry towels.

Yes, measure by volume. When filling the bucket stick the hose to the bottom so you are not injecting air into the water/soap mixture.
Wet the towel and wring it out before use. Damp microfibers absorb water much better than 100% dry towels.

Ok thanks buddy. I will try those things next week. So people usually always use 5 gallons and then the required soap or do people use like 3 gallons of water and the required soap for a smaller vehicle? Like a small miata to a big cadillac. I just don't want to be wasting soap lol.

A) Add water to your bucket, then add soap. Spray a stream or jet of water into the bucket to agitate and create suds. Do not add soap and then try to fill up the bucket. As far as ounces per gallon, don't make it harder than it seems. Most soaps nowadays do not take much, .5-1 oz per 2-3 gallons is more than enough to create good cleaning power and lubricity. Typically a capful is .5 ounces.

B) Try and wash the towels prior to their first use. If you do not have a soap specific to microfiber towels, that's okay. Go to your local grocery store or home goods store and purchase some 'Tide Free and Clear' liquid detergent. People have been using this for years and it seems to be fine. Also, do NOT use any type of fabric softener or dryer sheet when drying.

A) Add water to your bucket, then add soap. Spray a stream or jet of water into the bucket to agitate and create suds. Do not add soap and then try to fill up the bucket. As far as ounces per gallon, don't make it harder than it seems. Most soaps nowadays do not take much, .5-1 oz per 2-3 gallons is more than enough to create good cleaning power and lubricity. Typically a capful is .5 ounces.

B) Try and wash the towels prior to their first use. If you do not have a soap specific to microfiber towels, that's okay. Go to your local grocery store or home goods store and purchase some 'Tide Free and Clear' liquid detergent. People have been using this for years and it seems to be fine. Also, do NOT use any type of fabric softener or dryer sheet when drying.

I never use anything for the wash except water.

You don't use any detergent when washing MF? You probably should. Also MF towels can get loaded up wax which reduces their absorbency. A good hot wash in the machine usually helps.

You don't use any detergent when washing MF? You probably should. Also MF towels can get loaded up wax which reduces their absorbency. A good hot wash in the machine usually helps.

I read somewhere that you shouldn't.

Maybe he means he only uses plain water to wash his car? You'd be surprised how many people take a bucket of plain water and a shop rag to their vehicles.. Somewhere along the line the people were misinformed and told that was the most gentle way to care for their fine automobiles paint.

Nevermind... 1st person I've ever heard of that uses the washer without detergent. Lmao.

Yeah, well, I recommend hot water and an appropriate amount of detergent based on the soil level of the towels. The only thing you have to worry about with hot water is running some colors on the first wash.

Nevermind... 1st person I've ever heard of that uses the washer without detergent. Lmao.

I thought that detergent might get trapped in the MF towels or something lol. I will use what the guy above said.

Ok thanks buddy. I will try those things next week. So people usually always use 5 gallons and then the required soap or do people use like 3 gallons of water and the required soap for a smaller vehicle? Like a small miata to a big cadillac. I just don't want to be wasting soap lol.

I never use 5 gallons. Mix an amount that's reasonable for washing the size vehicle you are working, also taking into account that a dirtier vehicle will need more wash (to some degree). You are using a rinse bucket? (two bucket method)

I thought that detergent might get trapped in the MF towels or something lol. I will use what the guy above said.

When I wash my microfibers I'll usually run them through 3-4 extra rinse cycles.

I never use 5 gallons. Mix an amount that's reasonable for washing the size vehicle you are working, also taking into account that a dirtier vehicle will need more wash (to some degree). You are using a rinse bucket? (two bucket method)

Yeah I use two buckets. The rinse bucket has a grit guard.

I have a steam setting on my front load washer. Does any one think that could harm the towells? Also I've heard there isn't much point to buying microfiber specific detergent but it seems to be a touchy subject. I use Arm and Hammer no scent for sensitive skin. I don't think it has any extra additives.

I have a steam setting on my front load washer. Does any one think that could harm the towells? Also I've heard there isn't much point to buying microfiber specific detergent but it seems to be a touchy subject. I use Arm and Hammer no scent for sensitive skin. I don't think it has any extra additives.

People boil MF towels, so I wouldn't worry about the steam. I was trying to link an Autopia thread debunking some of the MF towel washing/drying myths, but it seems to have gotten messed up in the merge. The gist of it is that high temps don't harm towels, that the melting point of the MF materials is higher than the char point for cotton, so if you're not scorching your shirts, you shouldn't have any issues in washing or drying MF's as hot as you'd like (I do).

I usually consider the dedicated detergents as not worth the extra money, and used to use Charlie's Soap (as I do on my clothes), however right now I'm using some Wolfgang Microfiber wash that I got on a good sale for about the same as the Charlie's. I have also heard good things about the 3D MF soap, and it's certainly priced right.

Many members use "free and clear" supermarket detergents like the one you are using and have no problems.

Alright I will go pick up some detergent for the towels. Thanks guys.

Ok first question:

Do I measure car soap by volume or weight? Like when it says .5 ounce per gallon do I just use a kitchen measuring cup or do I have to weigh it? Now that I say that it sounds silly but whatever. I'm asking because when I use a kitchen measuring cup and put 2.5 ounces it seems like a lot and when I put water in the bucket after the soap is in I can't even get it half full with water before the suds overflow the bucket.

Second question:

I use the microfiber towels you get at Sam's I think they are called pro force. When I use them to sry my car they don't really absorb the water they just push it around. Is that supposed to happen? I don't get any water spots. My theory is maybe they aren't supposed to absorb the water but just pick up the minerals in the water so they don't leave spots.

Thanks guys for the answers I am just trying to get it right.[/QUOTE when it doesn't absorb water there poor quality.

WHERE?

:doh:

I never use anything for the wash except water.

At first I thought you *might* be saying you don't use shampoo when washing your vehicles. :eek: No need to ever use ALL 5 gallons. As has been said, put about 3 gallons in your bucket, then put 3 capfuls of shampoo (or 1.5~3 ounces). THEN hit it with the jet stream to stir up the shampoo.

When you are talking about .5 ounce, per gallon... you are always talking about volume. Unless it said .5 ounce per 8 pounds of water. Then you'd have to weigh your shampoo, and WEIGH your water. (BTW 1 gallon is 8 pounds.)

If you are not washing your microfiber towels, then you are putting dirty towels on your car! You should use some sort of "clear" liquid detergent like All Free and Clear or a dedicated microfiber detergent. Wolfgang is a good one, and although it seems expensive... you are only using 1~1.5 ounces per load, which means it'll last a LONG time. ;) Also, you can put a couple ounces of white vinegar in the rinse cycle.

You should be washing on at least medium heat, normal cycle, extra rinse, extra spin. As has been stated, hot should not hurt them at all, (especially cheap towels). You can also dry them on low, or even medium heat.

If they still will not absorb water you might need to boil them. Don't just walk away from them, but put on a pot of boiling water and take a few at a time and put in the water, move them around a bit for a minute or two then pull them out and put them in another pot. As they cool enough to handle you can wring them out with your hands.

OR.... once you've boiled them you can just pop them in your washer and do a wash on them.

WHATEVER YOU DO.... DO NOT USE FABRIC SOFTENER IN THE WASHER.
Also, NEVER use fabric softener sheets in the dryer.

Good idea to wash a load of bath towels before you do your microfibers. Put the bath towels in, do a HOT load, extra rinse, (without softener) to try and clean your washer before you do your microfibers.

Back