Cleaner wax then seal?

AZpolisher15

Reaction score
My daily driver is about a year old. I've washed and clayed- brainy is in great condition- but I think I'm due for a cleaner wax. I'd typically go in with a cleaner wax at this point because I'm working by hand. But I'd really like to put a sealer on when I'm all done (ultimate liquid). And as I understand it, I really shouldn't be putting a sealant on top of a wax. How do I get around this? I like the slight abrasive nature of a cleaner wax. I'm not aware of any "cleaner sealers". Is there such a thing and if not, what are some other options?

Griots makes a 1 step sealant.... Slight cut and synthetic wax left behind

why not use a AIO then top it with a spray wax. if you want something otc, the megs white wax with ultimate quik wax is a great combo...

What makes you think you need a cleaner wax? Are there noticable minor swirls? Or do you just feel it could use a cleaner?
If there aren't any noticable swirls and you've already clayed, there probably isn't a real need for you to use a cleaner wax.

Unless you put an lcd flashlight to your finish and get reflections like this.

View attachment 39333

But if your reflections are clear, and you don't have minor swirls, then why use a cleaner wax? If anything you're probably better off using a finishing polish like Ultimate Polish prior to Ultimate Wax.

View attachment 39334

What makes you think you need a cleaner wax? Are there noticable minor swirls? Or do you just feel it could use a cleaner?
If there aren't any noticable swirls and you've already clayed, there probably isn't a real need for you to use a cleaner wax.

Unless you put an lcd flashlight to your finish and get reflections like this.

View attachment 39333

But if your reflections are clear, and you don't have minor swirls, then why use a cleaner wax? If anything you're probably better off using a finishing polish like Ultimate Polish prior to Ultimate Wax.

View attachment 39334

I do have minor swirls, but it's not hazy or anything. It's a year old Tacoma pickup and I use good washing technique for the most part. But I dont expect to get anywhere with swirls by hand. I did try ultimate polish a couple of months ago and it didn't have an affect on the swirls and I gave it a solid effort. We have harsh winter chemicals/salt used here and generally vehicles spend 90% of the days between Dec and April covered in road grime. That makes me feel like I'd like to use a light abrasive product before applying ultimate liquid.

why not use a AIO then top it with a spray wax. if you want something otc, the megs white wax with ultimate quik wax is a great combo...

I'd like to stick to synthetic products. Might duragloss 105 be appropriate?

I also wondered about using white wax before the ultimate liquid, but it looks like the white might have a carnuba component.

In addition, I've waxed or sealed about once a month since I got the truck, so I thought a cleaner with an abrasive component might clean it up and get us back to a nice surface for a synthetic LSP.

If you are going to go to the trouble of topping an AIO why not just polish and seal.

I do have minor swirls, but it's not hazy or anything. It's a year old Tacoma pickup and I use good washing technique for the most part. But I dont expect to get anywhere with swirls by hand. I did try ultimate polish a couple of months ago and it didn't have an affect on the swirls and I gave it a solid effort. We have harsh winter chemicals/salt used here and generally vehicles spend 90% of the days between Dec and April covered in road grime. That makes me feel like I'd like to use a light abrasive product before applying ultimate liquid.

Since the Ultimate Polish didn't make a dent in the swirls, you might be better off skipping the cleaner wax' and try Ultimate Compound instead. Try it with a foam applicator 1st and step up to a microfiber applicator if needed. It'll leave your paint looking lsp ready so there's no reason to shy away from it. And from now on don't put the swirls back into your finish:p

[here's an example of why I'm not a fan of the Grit Guard. Because people using it still put swirls on their paint]

Since the Ultimate Polish didn't make a dent in the swirls, you might be better off skipping the cleaner wax' and try Ultimate Compound instead. Try it with a foam applicator 1st and step up to a microfiber applicator if needed. It'll leave your paint looking lsp ready so there's no reason to shy away from it. And from now on don't put the swirls back into your finish:p

[here's an example of why I'm not a fan of the Grit Guard. Because people using it still put swirls on their paint]
Thanks, I think I'll give the compound a shot. I'd been worried about hazing with the compound and being unable to correct it by hand. I'll try a test spot and go from there. That would be nice if it works, as I could then go straight to ULW with no problem. Ha I've been trying to avoid cleaner wax followed by a pre-wax cleanser before ULW. That just seemed counter productive.

And yes, I'll be more careful with washing from here on out! I didn't really get into detailing until about 6 months after I got my truck. I've since done a TON of research and am on the right track. Hope to have a DA very soon, just can't make up my mind on which one! PC cause it's cheap or Flex cause I'm gonna be detailing for years to come!

Hope to have a DA very soon, just can't make up my mind on which one! PC cause it's cheap or Flex cause I'm gonna be detailing for years to come!

if you want something in terms of power and torque between the two you've listed, then get the GG6. one should have at least one traditional PC-style DA anyways and this would be a great one/start to have...

if you want something in terms of power and torque between the two you've listed, then get the GG6. one should have at least one traditional PC-style DA anyways and this would be a great one/start to have...

Or you could get the HF DA for 1/3rd of the price of the GG6 and more power than a PC.

Or you could get the HF DA for 1/3rd of the price of the GG6 and more power than a PC.

buying the GG6 is a one time buy with it's lifetime warranty and one will be assured that they'll will receive some of the best customer service around if there is a problem later down the line. Also.. by purchasing it here on AG, you support both AG and GG... :dblthumb2:

buying the GG6 is a one time buy with it's lifetime warranty and one will be assured that they'll will receive some of the best customer service around if there is a problem later down the line. Also.. by purchasing it here on AG, you support both AG and GG... :dblthumb2:

:dblthumb2: If you can wait I am positive both AG and Autopia will have Xmas sales. Sign up for their newsletters for updates.

FWIW, I have been extremely happy with my GG6 and the Megs Ultimate products on my daily drivers. Its been an easy way to get started with great results.

Have you thought about Klasse AIO. It cleans, will hide some very minor swirls, and leave a protection layer. You can always wax over that or use the Klasse sealant. Plus it looks really good.
20151126_173140_zpsfiu09uo1.jpg

Back