Waterless engine detailing?

bluefire

Reaction score
I do not have any water access on my parking area and for most videos that I have seen is you have to wash it off with water after using a degreaser.

Do you have any tips on how to do this without water? Good products to use?

I just wipe down what I can with 114 and dirty rags. It's too difficult getting every nook and cranny.

I've done a rinseless wash on an engine bay before. It's an engine I didn't want to spray water on because of potential costly electrical issues. So based on this, any rinseless wash product would work. Meguiar's D114 or any PBMG rinseless wash products come to mind.

Here's DP rinseless wash at work: Just dunk the towel in the solution and start wiping away.

Before:
07%2520-%2520Engine%2520Before.JPG

After:
54%2520-%2520Engine%2520After.JPG

Just a tip: your towel will get dirty and gunked up pretty fast. So I rinse the towel often to flush out the heavy dirt build up.

I'm sure waterless wash would work as well. Ultima Waterless Wash Plus or Meguiar's D115 come to mind. Those are my 2 favorite waterless washes.

Hope this helps.

I just wipe down what I can with 114 and dirty rags. It's too difficult getting every nook and cranny.

That or if the engine bay is really gunked up with grease, use engine cleaner sparingly and only on specific build up and then maybe bring a bucket of water and some rags to wipe / rinse off.

Yeah we would have to see the engine to give you a better idea. I too have used a WW to spray the engine and then wipe with a towel. As everyone says the towels get dirty so use older ones.

I do not have any water access on my parking area and for most videos that I have seen is you have to wash it off with water after using a degreaser.

Do you have any tips on how to do this without water? Good products to use?

It's called

Cosmetic Engine Detailing

It's a term I learned from Mel Craig and its one of the thing you learn when you attend my ACR 3-day Detailing class.

The pictures used in the article I wrote below came from my May 2015 detailing class.

Pictures & Comments: May 2015 Detailing Boot Camp Class!

Here you go....

Review - NEW BLACKFIRE All-In-One Trim & Tire Protectant

A few months ago Nick came to me and says,

"I have this new product for you to test out, it's an all-in-on tire and trim dressing"

I think, ho-hum... just another tire and trim dressing. Then I start using it. And using it. And using it.

This product is freaking awesome!

Why?

Because it cleans, conditions and protects in one step.

While that might not sound like rocket science most trim dressings require you to FIRST clean the trim. Most tire dressings require you to FIRST clean the tires.

Not so with this product. Simply have a few extra microfiber applicators, towels and brushes handy to work, agitate and wipe-off any excess and going from dull and boring to WOW is fast and easy.

Plus since it's an all-in-one product you save money since you don't need any dedicated cleaning products.

2012 Chevy Traverse - Cosmetic Engine Detailing

At our last detailing boot camp class we teach two types of engine detailing.
Full engine detailing - That's where you use an engine degreaser and actually wash out the engine bay using running water.

Cosmetic engine detailing - This is where you simply blow-out the engine compartment with air and then wipe the engine compartment down using some time of dressing.
I let my class use the new NEW BLACKFIRE All-In-One Trim & Tire Protectant to do cosmetic engine detailing to this 2012 Chevy Traverse.

Before

watermark.php

After

watermark.php

Before

watermark.php

After

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

It works GREAT for doing cosmetic engine detailing and the above took less than 15 minutes!

If you're simply working on your own cars you can include this as a part of your Saturday wash and wax and get it done fast.

If you're detailing for money, then adding cosmetic engine detailing as an upsell is a money maker.

:xyxthumbs:

I've used Opti-Clean and a MF towel in the engine bay and worked well. I wasn't looking for perfect results but the end result is respectable.

Sometimes I'll bring my bottle of Hyper Dressing with me to the gas station and use their free paper towels to wipedown all the black plastic & rubber underneath the hood. APC for anything else that needs it.

It's nothing perfect, but that along with using my shop vac to make sure the air intake always stays clear of leaves & debris makes a good difference.

View attachment 39379

You can use a 1-2 gallon garden sprayer to bring water with you. That is how I did engines for a long time before I had a tornador since I just don't like a large amount of water in general. The blackfire product is great for any waterless condition as well.

You can use a 1-2 gallon garden sprayer to bring water with you. That is how I did engines for a long time before I had a tornador since I just don't like a large amount of water in general. The blackfire product is great for any waterless condition as well.

I agree with you. If you need a little pressurized blast of water I suggest buying a hand pump sprayer. It'll help to rinse off the heavily soiled areas. But great tips from Mike and Nick. Can't go wrong with their advice.

I am glad that I am getting a lot of inputs :). One question that pop in my mind is what product do you use to clean the carpet like cover under the hood?

That's all you need right there and some hyper dressing to top it off!

I actually am in search of dressing for engine.
I am big fan of blackfire and more likely to get BLACKFIRE All-In-One Trim & Tire Protectant
but Can I use tire dressing or WG trim sealant?

I actually am in search of dressing for engine.
I am big fan of blackfire and more likely to get BLACKFIRE All-In-One Trim & Tire Protectant
but Can I use tire dressing or WG trim sealant?

I'm sure it'll work just as good

Any idea how many engine bays you can clean/protect with a 20 oz bottle? May need to go with the bigger jug. Go BIG or go home, right!

Back