Is Expensive MF Cleaners Needed?

willowcat11

Sep 14, 2014
Aurora, IL.
I noticed that some of the MF cleaners suggested Pinnacle, Wolfgang, and DP can be pretty expensive.

Has anyone found that just normal laundry cleaners like just plain and normal Tide or anything else works just as good.

I understand I don't want to use anything in it like fabric softeners, static clean stuff, or anything like that.

Thanks much!

Ray

I must admit i use regular laundry cleaner 100% of the time and would like to know as well

I've been using Micro Restore and happy with the results. Not too expensive at around $30 a gallon and you only need 1 ounce a load for small loads so $30 for 128 washes not bad at all for personal use.

Micro fiber specific cleaners detergents are usually 2oz. or less per load. I do not feel that this is something that I am willing to use a product that may yield sub par performance after all of the hours of correcting and polishing. If it is for cleaning door jambs wheels engine bay etc. no problem but for my good micro fiber it gives me peace of mind. If it is pure detergent and nothing added it is probably fine I do not have enough experience to say for sure. I am using chemical guys detergent for now with good results. 2 oz per load pre-washing the worst spots by hand first.

I soak all of my MF towels in a 5 gallon bucket of water with a scoop of pad cleaner and let it sit overnight. Then I use Tide Free and Clear with warm water and dry with medium heat and no dryer sheets on all of my MF. The boutique cleaners are just there to take your money.

71rb7JUIX-L._SL1500_.jpg

I don't invest in high quality micro towel,I find that I throw away 10 a month because of billet or metal Brite work or jet fuel.The Un heavily contaminated ones such as wax etc I wash with regular detergent ,wash once rinse twice never a promblem.keep the pads separate from the micros when washing,this is my personal opinion so you do what feels right.I have friends who have every microtowel on the market and have money tied up in them.so if that's you just spring for the micro soap .

Hello Willowcat,

See my test here (post # 37)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...t-absorbing-water-how-measure-car-soap-4.html

3d, Wolfgang, CG's MF detergent all work very well, none did better than All Free & Clear + vinegar. I'll bet (not tested) not using the vinegar, would yield the same results as others.

What it comes down to is:

1. Follow Rag Co. instructions for proper care of MFs

2. Any of the above detergents are very pricey, when purchased in small sizes. Watch for sales, or coupons, purchase, the large size to save $$$$.

3. Almost all say 2 oz. full load, & 1 oz small load. So you may find a cheap price, but end up using more. DO NOT USE MORE detergent than recommended.

4. For ME: Sometimes depending on the MF, I'll soak it in "Dawn" rinse, dry, then machine wash.

5. I really like air drying, don't have to worry about, dryer sheets residual, overheating etc.

I'm almost done with my Wolfgang, maybe one more load, then it's All Free/Clear. How many loads can you do, for your dollar?

The "Tide" above pic. equivalent to "All Free & Clear" for use with MF

I use All free and clear for ALL my MF towels/mitts and can't say anything negative about it....I always air dry them in the dryer for about 30 minutes then take them out and let them finish air drying in the house

Ive used All Free & Clear along with Vinegar (as needed) for years with no issue. I recently tried Micro Restore and have been happy with it especially for my polish & final wipe towels. The argument is that MF specific detergents are designed to attack polishing oil, wax, etc that are on the towels. Is it absolute necessary? Thats open to discussion as you can see here. As long as you wash without any fragrance additives and fabric softener and dry on low or air dry, you will be fine.