Do I need leather conditioner or coating protector?

BurnsXXIV

Reaction score
I've tried researching this but I can't seem to find definitive answers. Do you need to condition coated leather seats? I've got Recaros in my Focus ST which are definitely coated. Its my understanding that conditioner doesn't penetrate that coating and really just sits ontop of the coating. I have applied the CarPro Leather Protector, do I still need to condition or am I wasting time and money doing that?

I would clean with a light damp towel as needed, and reapply the coating per the manufacturers directions/timetables.

So as long as I'm using a protector like this I don't need to condition? I'm slightly confused - why have 2 different types of products that do the same thing?

So as long as I'm using a protector like this I don't need to condition? I'm slightly confused - why have 2 different types of products that do the same thing?

Send a message to Corey @ CQuartz. He will give you the low down.

Define for me what the term Conditioner and what the term Protector means to you.

These are not the same product in the same way that a glaze and a sealant are not the same thing.

I'd say the conditioner gets essential oils into the leather to keep it from cracking. Protector would be something for the coating to stop UV rays, limit friction.

I thought they were different and that coated seats didn't need conditioning, but i see alot of people using conditioner still.

So you have this one?

carpro-cquartz-leather-coating-1.gif

If so it states this

Interiors that are coated with CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating will be easier to maintain! Because the coating prevents dirt and grime from sticking to the leather, a damp microfiber towel is all it takes maintain the finish.

I'd say the conditioner gets essential oils into the leather to keep it from cracking. Protector would be something for the coating to stop UV rays, limit friction.

I thought they were different and that coated seats didn't need conditioning, but i see alot of people using conditioner still.
Coated seats don't benefit from oil based conditioners, water based conditioners like Leather Master Vital is what's used on coated leather. Keeping them clean is the most important part.

Coated seats don't benefit from oil based conditioners, water based conditioners like Leather Master Vital is what's used on coated leather. Keeping them clean is the most important part.

True for 99% of your coated leather seat. But, perforations in the coating, especially those around stitching where there are stress concentrations in the leather, will benefit from an oil based conditioner.

Another school of thought suggests that once crazing of the factory coating occurs, oil based conditioners are able to penetrate and provide a benefit.

Regardless, I still reach for LM Vital and Protection Cream, both being water based.

I'd say that leather conditions don't really do anything and all that is needed is a good vinyl protector with UV protection. That is, after you do a good job cleaning the leather. With that said, I own a few leather conditioners and use them. It simply makes me a feel a little better... that even if it does not do anything I'm still doing everything I can to maintain the leather. If nothing else I work it into the stitching and, in the case of my Fusion seats, the small holes in the leather that let them breath. I apply a little conditioner to a towel and wipe down the seats.

I've always preferred leather cleaner & conditioner over protectant because every protectant I've experienced either leaves a greasy cheap look, or the complete opposite, where you can't even tell anything's been applied. IMO Leather conditioner gets it just right.
Most leather conditioners usually smell alot better than protectant products as well.

I don't mind using long term coatings or protection on exterior,but the interior I keep simple clean and some conditioner.ive seen so many problematic complaints on other sites with some sort of protector application it's not wort the headache especially on a customer car.Believe it or not I use lemon scent pledge works awesome spreads nice and leaves a little sheen.

Do you need to condition coated leather seats?
I've got Recaros in my Focus ST which are definitely coated.

My mantra for the types of leather that are
classified as being "coated/protected" is:

"Clean and Protect!"

Bob

My mantra for the types of leather that are

classified as being "coated/protected" is:

"Clean and Protect!"

Bob

Do you have leather seats in your Corvette? If so, what's your choice of protection?

About how often do you apply the leather protection?

In a perfect world, I like to apply Megs D180 about every 7 days. However I don't like to apply it unless I've just vacuumed the interior, which sometimes delays it past 7 days.

About how often do you apply the leather protection?
Depends on what kind, and the amount of,
contaminates it's exposed to...
~2, sometimes a little more, times a year.

IMO:
•As it is with most car-care maintenance,
but especially with leather:
-It is much easier to practice prevention, than it is
trying to resolve major challenges after the fact.

Bob

On my focus ST Recaros I clean with a horse hair brush and water four times a year unless they are extremely dirty. Once a month I use chemical guys leather conditioner on them. Not sure if it really does anything or not, but they seem to feel better. Also once every other week I apply Optimum leather protectant.
Overkill or wasted product? Maybe, but my seats still look nice.

I really like the leather masters Car Leather protectant. It vanishes to a completely matte finish, has no odor, and even vinyl coated leather feels softer.

I clean/protect my drivers seat once a month, the other seats every other month. For cleaning, all I use is Megs interior detailer and a microfiber since they never really get too dirty.

Back