PDA

View Full Version : How to polish neglected chrome wheels

jvamagic
02-02-2016, 03:14 PM
Hi,

I have a set of 17 inch chrome wheels on my 90' mustang that have been seating for years outside (mainly under a car cover). They have been neglected (water spots/dirt).

What approach do I take?
I have a PC 7424 and a dewalt 849 (3 inch plate on both).

Link below is a to illustrate the wheels on my car.

https://lmr.com/item/WTK-1007CCS/Mustang-Cobra-R-Wheel-Sumitomo-ZII-Tire-Kit-Chrome-87-93

Mike Phillips
02-02-2016, 03:52 PM
When it comes to chrome you can use just about any chrome polish or fine aluminum polish. You can actually use just about any quality compound for car paint too.

If there are scratches an rust there's no simple fix. Just clean and polish the best you can and then keep them clean. Somewhere on this forum is a thread about using traditional car waxes on chrome to help preserve them that I posted some info to.

:)

jvamagic
02-02-2016, 03:57 PM
When it comes to chrome you can use just about any chrome polish or fine aluminum polish. You can actually use just about any quality compound for car paint too.

If there are scratches an rust there's no simple fix. Just clean and polish the best you can and then keep them clean. Somewhere on this forum is a thread about using traditional car waxes on chrome to help preserve them that I posted some info to.

:)

Thanks for your reply.

Would using a 3 inch pad on my PC or Dewalt be of any added benefit?

willowcat11
02-02-2016, 04:20 PM
Thank you for your response to this thread, since I am currently working on Chrome wheels at this time also.

These wheels have NO rust what so ever, but it looks like the person has used a Tire Brush on them a number of times, because there is light brush scratches over all of them.

I can clean them to my best like you suggested, and then just work on keeping that way for my client. Or I'm wondering if there is any other hope for them in getting those fine scratches out?

Thank you and have wonderful day!

Ray

Eldorado2k
02-02-2016, 04:23 PM
I'd start with Megs Wheel Brightener @ 4:1
Works great on chrome wheels. If D140 isn't readily available to you, Megs Hot Wheels Chrome & Wire Cleaner is available OTC and is the similar consumer product.
D108 Super Degreaser @4:1 on the tires.

Before:

After:

You could also try some fine grade steel wool after the initial cleaning & drying.

Eldorado2k
02-02-2016, 04:26 PM
@willowcat11. You're not getting those scratches out. Trust me. Lol.

willowcat11
02-02-2016, 04:41 PM
@willowcat11. You're not getting those scratches out. Trust me. Lol.

Eldorado2k,

Thankyou for saying that man! Because, otherwise, I would have been shaking every tree, and lifting every rock, to try and find a way to get them out.

You saved me a lot of time and effort!

Have a good one man, and take care!

Ray

willowcat11
02-02-2016, 04:43 PM
I'll ask him, but I'm wondering if that's really what caused those brush like scratches. Or something worse that he may have used. If it was, I know I will never use any type of brush on Chrome wheels.

MikeC78
02-02-2016, 04:49 PM
Chrome polish or compound and the mothers ball + drill.

7.3powerstroke
02-02-2016, 04:51 PM
@eldorado- I agree, D140 rocks on chrome wheels.

Is super degreaser the best tire cleaner megs has? You seem to know a lot about there products...

Eldorado2k
02-02-2016, 05:19 PM
@eldorado- I agree, D140 rocks on chrome wheels.

Is super degreaser the best tire cleaner megs has? You seem to know a lot about there products...

I used to regard Super Degreaser as #1 when it comes to cleaning tires, but lately I've started to kind of like D143 just as much if not just slightly better. They both seem to be able to get to the same end result, however for some strange reason the D143 somehow finds a way to end up rinsing brown off on the 2nd and even the 3rd try if you decide to go that far.. The Super Degreaser seems to clean equally good, but the 2nd - 3rd rinse isn't brown like the D143.

Yet I don't have quite the same kind of faith in D143 when it comes to wheel wells. So much so that I never use it for wheel wells. Strictly D108 for that, and I would imagine the same for engine bays.

I think Meguiars purposely made these 2 products knowing detailers would love and buy both. They've done a great job. Lol.

ScottB
02-02-2016, 06:03 PM
1. Clean with Griots Chrome Wheel Cleaner
2. Chrome polish to brighten
3. G-techniqs Wheel Armor to protect