PDA

View Full Version : Which Lake Country Pad?

SonataLF
02-17-2016, 07:47 AM
I'm looking to do some hand application of HD Speed since I won't have the opportunity to use my DA for another couple of months. Which Lake Country pad would be best for light swirl correction by hand with a hand applicator that holds 4" pads? I know what the descriptions say but I'm assuming that's with a DA, I'm either going to get a couple of white pads or if necessary the orange pads.

Thanks.

Setec Astronomy
02-17-2016, 08:23 AM
Why don't you get both? I guess if you are doing your white car I'd use the orange, and on your black car the white.

SonataLF
02-17-2016, 09:46 AM
Why don't you get both? I guess if you are doing your white car I'd use the orange, and on your black car the white.

I was leaning towards the white pad since it will be on my Sonata and the swirls aren't bad. It sounds like that may be the best choice for this situation. I'll usually use the DA for an AIO correction but I won't have access to it for a while so i don't want to spend too much on a one time application.

Thanks.

Setec Astronomy
02-17-2016, 09:58 AM
Honestly, you're not going to be able to do any swirl correction by hand unless you have a huge amount of time or huge muscles and a lot of Gatorade (or unless you just have one small spot that needs correction, in which case something like Meg's Ultimate Compound or Wolfgang Uber or Menz FG400 might be indicated, for hand use).

I'd concentrate on getting the paint clean with your hand application.

zx10r Elle
02-17-2016, 10:06 AM
SonataLF,

This is just my take on the situation; to make any headway I think you will want an orange pad, especially hand polishing an entire car. And for any decent finishing I think you will need the white pad.

Since you are relying on HDSpeed which is designed for machine application I would think you'd work your arm off using just white pads, or even the orange but the orange may be more effective.

Steve

Ebg18t
02-17-2016, 10:23 AM
If you want it to look better why not just use a glaze & seal it until you can get access to your PC.

SonataLF
02-17-2016, 10:45 AM
It sounds like I'll just have to save the HD Speed for the DA. Maybe I'll just use the White wax by hand for now to hold me off until I can use the DA as I have been able to get some minor correction with Black Wax by hand in the past and White Wax is stronger.

Setec Astronomy
02-17-2016, 10:49 AM
I think you were probably getting filling with those products.

SonataLF
02-17-2016, 11:01 AM
I think you were probably getting filling with those products.

AFAIK There are no fillers in Meguiar's White and Black waxes. I wasn't able to totally remove the swirls until I applied with a DA but I was able to get minor correction by hand.

Setec Astronomy
02-17-2016, 11:11 AM
AFAIK There are no fillers in Meguiar's White and Black waxes.

Waxes are fillers.

shagnat
02-18-2016, 05:46 PM
Waxes are fillers.
:iagree:Im the MAN

WRAPT C5Z06
02-18-2016, 09:42 PM
DON'T bother polishing by hand. What a waste of time, IMO.

custmsprty
02-18-2016, 09:45 PM
DON'T bother polishing by hand. What a waste of time, IMO.

:iagree:

Just put a sealant like Poxy or WG 3.0 on it and call it a day.

SonataLF
02-21-2016, 06:34 PM
Well it was much nicer than I expected yesterday so I just went and used the DA Power System and yellow polishing pads with the HD Speed. (I am getting the Griots 6" Random Orbital next month so the DA system will go to spot duty) The results were great, I only had time for 1-2 overlapping passes on each section because it takes forever but I got some pretty good correction with it and the shine/reflection is by far the best of anything I've used before. Seems as slick as Ultimate Wax. Not really any lighting to see how clean the finish is but look at that shine and reflection!! Thanks to everyone on this site for recommending it for an AIO.