Hello and a Few Wax Questions

MrWhite

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am new to the forum and this is indeed my first post here. I thought that I would say hello and also ask a few questions.

In the past I have usually cleaned all my own cars and periodically waxed them. This was always been done by hand and without any specific knowledge or training. The one thing going for me is that I am very methodical and particular. Recently, I purchased a 2004 Jaguar XJR that was in fantastic condition. It was clean, but not immaculate. I wanted to give it a thorough detail and started doing some research.

The best things that I have found so far has been the AMMO NYC channel on YouTube and this forum. I really like Larry’s videos and he seems as anal and obsessive as I can sometimes be. After much watching of videos and much reading here on this forum, I got started.

I bought a 6” DA Polisher from harbor freight for $50. I also picked up the three pads (compounding, polishing, and finishing). I read a lot of the user reviews about this polisher on the harbor freight site, and the chief complaint was that the hook and loop area on the back of the foam pads is only 5-inches but the backer plate was 6-inches. Some people were saying that this caused the hook and loop portion of the backer plate to chew up the foam pad. I ordered a 5-inch backer plate from Amazon, and have not had this problem. I have no illusions that this is by any means the best polisher available, but the Porter Cable was more than twice the price, and I just wanted to try this out and get started. I can always upgrade to a better polisher later if I find I really enjoy this or that I need a better polisher.

I gave the car a thorough wash and then clayed the entire car. My paint was not in bad condition and I did not want to use something as course as M105 (I thought why remover clear coat unnecessarily). I had some Meguiar’s Fine Cut Cleaner on hand and decided to use this as a first step. I did the whole car and all the jams, underside of hood, trunk, etc.

For the next step I decided to use Maguiar’s Ultimate Polish. Wow, the paint looked amazing after this step. I was really impressed with how much depth and shine there was. For a wax I decided upon using the Meguair’s Ultimate Liquid Wax. From what I have read about this, it is not actually a wax at all, but rather a synthetic sealant. I applied this using the polisher and the soft finishing pad. This is the point in the project where I am now. I have not finished waxing the whole car.

I decided that I would like to put a carnauba wax over the top all of the liquid sealant “wax” for some added shine and protection. My question is what to use? I don’t want to spend a lot of money on a high-end carnauba, but don’t want to waste money on junk either. The local auto shops have Mother’s Brazilian Carnauba, Meguiar’s Gold Class, or Meguiar’s Ultimate Paste wax. Since I’m already using Meguair’s Ultimate Liquid Wax as a sealant, it didn’t make much sense to me to use the paste version of the same thing, as it is also not a carnauba.

I looked here on the AutoGeek store and found a wax that looked good and was in a price range I was wiling to spend. It was Pinnacle XMT 180 Paste Wax. I sent an email to the store asking if this would be a good choice for putting over the top of Meguair’s Ultimate Liquid Wax. My email was ignored and I never got a response. I was a little surprised, as I had heard that AutoGeek had great customer service. Two days later the product was removed from the AutoGeek store. I ordered a pot of the Pinnacle 180 wax from Amazon, but a day latter received an email stating that the order had been canceled as it was out of stock.

So now I am back to having no carnauba to use as a final finish. Would you add one or is the Meguair’s Ultimate Liquid Wax sufficient? It looks as though my best choice locally is the Mother’s Brazilian Gold Carnauba. Is this any good? My paint is a Metalic Jaguar Racing Green color, so if there is a gold tone to the wax, that wouldn’t be bad.

I’d appreciate and input or suggestions for a final wax that you may have.

Once, I’ve finished with the paint and exterior, I will move on to the inside and clean and condition all the leather and shampoo the carpets. Gotta go, Much to do…

Small-XJR.jpg

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting a picture of your car. It looks like you are off to the right start.

If you're looking for a great traditional paste wax to finish off your detailing job, I would look at Chemical Guys Pete's 53'-Pearl Signature Paste Wax 8 oz

It's really easy to use and it's fantastic on anything with metallic or pearl in the paint.

Not sure what happened with your e-mail to Autogeek, they normally do have the best of the best customer service, but keep in mind that all of this forum and its knowledge is sponsored by Autogeek when you are choosing where to buy products. They will price match anybody to make sure you get the best deal too.

Im the MANIm the MANIm the MAN

:welcome: ...to AGO!

If I was going to add another layer of an LSP...
it would be another coat of the Meguiar's Ultimate
Wax (Sealant)...not any Carnauba wax.

That is:
Unless this vehicle is a Show Car, getting
its final "grooming", at a Car Show.

Bob

Ultimate wax is sufficient enough. The paste version is the same thing. If you really want to experiment and top UW then Meguiar's M26 is great for that. Doesn't matter if it's the liquid or paste version.

Another option is to just maintain with ultimate quik wax.

Hello All,

I am new to the forum and this is indeed my first post here. I thought that I would say hello and also ask a few questions.

In the past I have usually cleaned all my own cars and periodically waxed them. This was always been done by hand and without any specific knowledge or training. The one thing going for me is that I am very methodical and particular. Recently, I purchased a 2004 Jaguar XJR that was in fantastic condition. It was clean, but not immaculate. I wanted to give it a thorough detail and started doing some research.

The best things that I have found so far has been the AMMO NYC channel on YouTube and this forum. I really like Larry’s videos and he seems as anal and obsessive as I can sometimes be. After much watching of videos and much reading here on this forum, I got started.

I bought a 6” DA Polisher from harbor freight for $50. I also picked up the three pads (compounding, polishing, and finishing). I read a lot of the user reviews about this polisher on the harbor freight site, and the chief complaint was that the hook and loop area on the back of the foam pads is only 5-inches but the backer plate was 6-inches. Some people were saying that this caused the hook and loop portion of the backer plate to chew up the foam pad. I ordered a 5-inch backer plate from Amazon, and have not had this problem. I have no illusions that this is by any means the best polisher available, but the Porter Cable was more than twice the price, and I just wanted to try this out and get started. I can always upgrade to a better polisher later if I find I really enjoy this or that I need a better polisher.

I gave the car a thorough wash and then clayed the entire car. My paint was not in bad condition and I did not want to use something as course as M105 (I thought why remover clear coat unnecessarily). I had some Meguiar’s Fine Cut Cleaner on hand and decided to use this as a first step. I did the whole car and all the jams, underside of hood, trunk, etc.

For the next step I decided to use Maguiar’s Ultimate Polish. Wow, the paint looked amazing after this step. I was really impressed with how much depth and shine there was. For a wax I decided upon using the Meguair’s Ultimate Liquid Wax. From what I have read about this, it is not actually a wax at all, but rather a synthetic sealant. I applied this using the polisher and the soft finishing pad. This is the point in the project where I am now. I have not finished waxing the whole car.

I decided that I would like to put a carnauba wax over the top all of the liquid sealant “wax” for some added shine and protection. My question is what to use? I don’t want to spend a lot of money on a high-end carnauba, but don’t want to waste money on junk either. The local auto shops have Mother’s Brazilian Carnauba, Meguiar’s Gold Class, or Meguiar’s Ultimate Paste wax. Since I’m already using Meguair’s Ultimate Liquid Wax as a sealant, it didn’t make much sense to me to use the paste version of the same thing, as it is also not a carnauba.

I looked here on the AutoGeek store and found a wax that looked good and was in a price range I was wiling to spend. It was Pinnacle XMT 180 Paste Wax. I sent an email to the store asking if this would be a good choice for putting over the top of Meguair’s Ultimate Liquid Wax. My email was ignored and I never got a response. I was a little surprised, as I had heard that AutoGeek had great customer service. Two days later the product was removed from the AutoGeek store. I ordered a pot of the Pinnacle 180 wax from Amazon, but a day latter received an email stating that the order had been canceled as it was out of stock.

So now I am back to having no carnauba to use as a final finish. Would you add one or is the Meguair’s Ultimate Liquid Wax sufficient? It looks as though my best choice locally is the Mother’s Brazilian Gold Carnauba. Is this any good? My paint is a Metalic Jaguar Racing Green color, so if there is a gold tone to the wax, that wouldn’t be bad.

I’d appreciate and input or suggestions for a final wax that you may have.

Once, I’ve finished with the paint and exterior, I will move on to the inside and clean and condition all the leather and shampoo the carpets. Gotta go, Much to do…

Small-XJR.jpg
any of those waxes you mentioned will not last long.consider a paint sealant or collinite wax for that color go with 915 .paint sealant 4 star paint protection.

I agree with Bob. I'd do two coats of ULW, as opposed to one coat of ULW + one coat of a stand alone carnauba.

The second coat of sealer is to ensure even application (not because "more is better"). Two thin coats of sealer will give you better longevity than a coat of sealer + a coat of carnauba.

As you suggested, the carnauba coat would be for appearance. My thinking on this- the added appearance benefits are short lived. After a wash or two (or a couple weeks), the "better appearance" will be minimal anyway. And for the time it takes to apply that second coat of either product- I'll give up that short lived better "better appearance" for months worth of longevity.

But I do understand we all have different priorities. If you really do want to put a "wax" on top, Collinite 845/476 are good options. Inexpensive and good longevity. 845 is easier to apply and remove. 476 is a little tougher. Both excellent products. They will both last longer than Megs Gold Class (i do like the looks of the Gold Class Carnauba Plus, but it never lasted very long for me).

This is arguable, but I have a feeling that the solvents in a wax "top coat" may act to remove some of the underlying sealer. This again leads me back to two coats of sealer being better than one coat of sealer + one coat of wax.

You'll see hundreds of posts on this site discussing the advantages/disadvantages of both methods. In the end it's up to you!

As Guz suggested, Ultimate quick wax is great for maintaining ULW and it really amps up the shine.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to give your advice. I really appreciate it.

I used my day productively and gave the whole car two coats of Ultimate Liquid Wax. I finished up wiping it all down just as it was getting dark so I will have to wait until the morning to give it another walk around and make sure that I got it all.

I found the wax very easy to apply with the DA polisher. It looks like good stuff. I was impressed with the Ultimate Polish as well.

Some of you mentioned the Ultimate Quick Wax and I thought I would ask a quick follow on question. I ordered a small starter bottle of this from AG last night.

Do you apply this after every wash?

Also, do you first dry the car and then apply it, or add it to the microfiber cloth that you use to dry the car with? In his videos, I've see Larry from AMMO use a spray on his drying cloth and wasn't sure if this was the appropriate use for Ultimate Quick Wax.

Some of you mentioned the Ultimate Quick Wax and I thought I would ask a quick follow on question. I ordered a small starter bottle of this from AG last night.

Do you apply this after every wash?

Also, do you first dry the car and then apply it, or add it to the microfiber cloth that you use to dry the car with? In his videos, I've see Larry from AMMO use a spray on his drying cloth and wasn't sure if this was the appropriate use for Ultimate Quick Wax.
I wash and dry. Then I spray the wax directly on the surface of the dry vehicle and wipe it all over using long, light pressure strokes. Then I flip the towel to buff it dry. On spots where I don't want over spray (near Windows, etc) I spray the towel and basically do the same thing. Wipe on, flip, and buff off. yes, I apply after every wash (~1-2x a month). With the Megs your safe. Some other brands (Duragloss) might cloud up if too frequent, as some have reported, but I've never had a problem. And I really doubt you will either. If it's a daily driver exposed to the elements, 2x a month will be fine with Megs.

I wash and dry. Then I spray the wax directly on the surface of the dry vehicle and wipe it all over using long, light pressure strokes. Then I flip the towel to buff it dry. On spots where I don't want over spray (near Windows, etc) I spray the towel and basically do the same thing. Wipe on, flip, and buff off. yes, I apply after every wash (~1-2x a month). With the Megs your safe. Some other brands (Duragloss) might cloud up if too frequent, as some have reported, but I've never had a problem. And I really doubt you will either. If it's a daily driver exposed to the elements, 2x a month will be fine with Megs.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it.

No problem. Glad to help. And remember- light pressure. You don't really buff spray waxes like you would a traditional wax. Just light, long swipes, flip the towel, and very light buffing to remove the remaining product. It generally looks even better the next day after application.

Back