PDA

View Full Version : Short-term garage space rental for paint correction?

deacno
02-28-2016, 09:14 PM
I live in an apartment with no options for covered parking to do paint correction on my car. I think it would take me all weekend and I don't know anyone that has a garage space I can use.

I've called a few self-storage places and none of allow working on cars in the drive-up units even if it's only polishing a car. I think renting them out for only weekend also makes it a big hassle for them to want to deal with.

Anyone know if there are other options I can try? I know I can search craigslist to see if anyone wants to rent out a space for a weekend but I'd only be willing to pay a prorated or weekly amount (so again, it might seem a lot of inconvenience for them to deal with).

jamesboyy
02-28-2016, 09:54 PM
Only idea I can think of is if any of your friends/family have at least a driveway then you can always get one of those enclosed car tents and pop up over the weekend not unless someone here has a space near by you that don't mind helping a fellow geek though going back to searching on Craigslist you could always rent a garage on a monthly basis if you have the funds/have stuff you'll like to store that's not valuable hence you can always go in when you want as long as it has electric and polish or whatever

deacno
02-28-2016, 10:15 PM
I think I might be able to find a covered carport but thought that the space had to be fully enclosed when doing polishing. Would I be able to get a away with using something that's not completely enclosed?

Joshwaa
02-28-2016, 10:49 PM
Where you live? I run a storage place. I would be willing to let you.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
02-28-2016, 10:52 PM

That's why we have some of the nicest people on this forum.

Such a great community

deacno
02-28-2016, 11:13 PM

Thanks, but I'm in the DMV (DC,Maryland,VA) area. Looks like you're in Florida? I think I'll try a few more storage places around here, maybe I'll get lucky.

I was able to rent out a space a few years ago to do a couple of DIYs on my car but the place was since bought out by a large chain storage company and they no longer allow that stuff.

BrutalNoodle
02-28-2016, 11:24 PM
You could try searching for a garage that rents out a bay with tools & lift. There's one a town away from my place that charges $35 per hour. Pretty sure they wouldn't have a problem (since they're insured) with you plugging your DA and go to town. Heck, use that opportunity to remove your wheels and clean the suspension bits and undercarriage.

wing commander
02-28-2016, 11:59 PM
I have used a bank drive thru on a Sunday for a shelter from the sun with no problems. I also have a account at this bank and it is in a commercial area so it is a ghost town on weekends. Also the ATM is not in the drive thru. On another occasion I used a carport at a closed office bldg.again on a Sunday. It just looks like you are doing a car for someone inside the bldg,and the worst that can happen is someone can ask you to leave.

jamesboyy
02-29-2016, 12:31 AM
You most likely can get away with a semi closed tent as long as there's no wind or anything blowing(hence cause you would use a tent or some sort for the summer as shade to wash your vehicle)

Joshwaa
02-29-2016, 10:02 AM
Thanks, but I'm in the DMV (DC,Maryland,VA) area. Looks like you're in Florida? I think I'll try a few more storage places around here, maybe I'll get lucky.

I was able to rent out a space a few years ago to do a couple of DIYs on my car but the place was since bought out by a large chain storage company and they no longer allow that stuff.

Yes South Florida. I have 99% occupancy and still help out when I can. I would keep looking for storage places. Avoid the chain storage places. Look for a mom & pop type place (non corporate) you will have a better chance. Maybe offer the manager/owner a free car wash. Who knows you could gain a customer in the process.