2003 WRB Subaru WRX - Paint Enhancement + Gtechniq CSL

10secdream

Reaction score
The owner of this vehicle contacted me almost 2 years ago but it took awhile for us to work out our schedules and for the rust repair on the front quarter panels to be completed. All in all this is a beautiful LHD 2003 Subaru WRX in wonderful WRB paint. The owner was looking to remove some defects, enhance the paint color and get the vehicle protected and ready summer.

Process

Exterior:
Wash: CG Citrus Wash & Gloss via 2 bucket method
Decontamination 1: Riccardo Iron Maiden
Decontamination 2: CarPro White Ultrafine Clay
Dry: Waffle Weave Towels / Forced Air
Tape: 3m Automotive Tape
Paint Thickness: Taken using Digital Coating Thickness Gauge
Polish: Griots Garage Correcting Cream w/ White Buff n Shine Pads via Rupes LHR15ES (5.5” pads) and GG6 (4” pads)
Surface Prep: Gtechniq Panel Wipe
Paint Protection: Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light
Tire Dressing: Tufshine Tire Clearcoat
Glass: CarPro Flyby30
Exhaust Polishing: P21s Polishing Soap

Before Photos:

The vehicle arrived in a fairly typical condition for this time of year. Lots of road grime and salt were on the sides of the vehicle.

During Photos:

At first we weren't going to detail the winter wheels and tires because hey its winter but I decided to do it anyways (for free) because you can't have shiny paint and have the tires dirty.

Once the tires and wheels were cleaned I performed a chemical decontamination on the paint followed by a light clay. The owner of this vehicle keeps the paint in great condition so there were very few contaminants.

After the vehicle was dried I performed a test spot on the hood. This particular vehicle had the entire front end repainted at some point in its life and the paint was much harder than typical Subaru paint. I ended up using a microfiber cutting pad and compound to remove the defects.

The rest of the vehicle was corrected using a compound and a white polishing pad.

Once the entire vehicle was polished I prepped the paint for Gtechniq Crystal Serium Light.

After Photos:

I ran out of time and light to get some proper after shots outside on this detail. Luckily you can still see how much depth and shine this paint has now.

Outstanding work you added that much needed depth indeed

Very nicely done. I have a soft spot for the Bug Eyes.

Beautiful outcome!

And the exhaust tips! I didn't think that they could clean up and look so nice. :dblthumb2:

Your client must be happy even with a two year wait.

Nice work! Looks like he could have used a headlight polishing too.

The outsides were polished but the "yellowing" is on the inside. These particular headlights are off the JDM vehicle in Japan and have likely been neglected their entire lives. My only conclusion is that the UV protection failed a long time ago and has started to deteriorate the inside of the housing.

Very nice review! The paint looks incredible. Can't wait to try CSL.

Outstanding work you added that much needed depth indeed

Thanks for the kind words.

Ugh... that color is just amazing when done right. Nice work!

Completely agree. Given the choice I would have gotten WRB for my WRX but had to set for Crystal White Pearl due to availability.

Very nicely done. I have a soft spot for the Bug Eyes.

I do as well especially when they are the nice JDM projector headlights.

Beautiful outcome!

And the exhaust tips! I didn't think that they could clean up and look so nice. :dblthumb2:

Your client must be happy even with a two year wait.

Exhaust tips took a bit of effort but they came out nice. It is also nice working on a quality exhaust that doesn't get ruined when it is not cleaned frequently.

He was very happy with the results.

Very nice review! The paint looks incredible. Can't wait to try CSL.

So far I have installed CSL on 3 cars and I am very happy. I haven't gotten much feedback yet but I plan to try it on my personal vehicle this upcoming spring.

Very nice work! That Subaru looks great now after your TLC.

I agree, you can't have clean corrected paint and nasty wheels. Good on you for cleaning it up for him.

Thanks for sharing.

Back