PDA

View Full Version : How to clean this amout of dirt on wheel wells

Pages : [1] 2

spielwurfel
03-06-2016, 11:17 AM
Hello guys

So I'm buying my first whell well brush, and the wells of my car are terribly dirt. Any tips on how to clean it, or should I just spray a 4:1 diluted APC and scrub like there's no tomorrow?

Thanks! =)

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160306/3a67b122f64b73f6ed85b08947daa81a.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160306/0628952c56649b54e05908bc63ff3e57.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcaustin87
03-06-2016, 11:40 AM
water and lots of it.... pressure washer is probably going to be your friend here are those the felt lines wheel wells?

AutoAppeal
03-06-2016, 11:40 AM
Youve got the plan down, maybe degreaser as that is where the tires sling all the oil they pick up. I like the speed master brush less for wheels and more for jobs like this. Be sure dress/ protect

spielwurfel
03-06-2016, 12:17 PM
water and lots of it.... pressure washer is probably going to be your friend here are those the felt lines wheel wells?

Yeps, on the second photo, of the back well they are made of felt. Should I have any caution with it?

spielwurfel
03-06-2016, 12:17 PM
Youve got the plan down, maybe degreaser as that is where the tires sling all the oil they pick up. I like the speed master brush less for wheels and more for jobs like this. Be sure dress/ protect

Noob question. Is the APC an equivalent to a degreaser?

LEDetailing
03-06-2016, 01:08 PM
Pressure wash, APC, scrub, repeat if necessary. Wheel wells are my least favorite. Looks like you have plenty of clearance between the tire and liner, scrubbing should be no problem. You could even use a dedicated wheel wash mitt after the first go around of cleaning.

I would love to put a coating on mine, but my cars aren't worth the effort.

spielwurfel
03-06-2016, 01:58 PM
Pressure wash, APC, scrub, repeat if necessary. Wheel wells are my least favorite. Looks like you have plenty of clearance between the tire and liner, scrubbing should be no problem. You could even use a dedicated wheel wash mitt after the first go around of cleaning.

I would love to put a coating on mine, but my cars aren't worth the effort.

Is there any way to coat it without removing the wheels?

kesmit
03-06-2016, 03:23 PM
With felt wheel wells, I prefer to use a stiff brush on them while they are still dry. A tire brush works well, but I've found that a "spotting brush" works the best (although they tend to have sharp handles). Once I get most of it out while they are dry, then move on to a pressure washer.

Ebg18t
03-06-2016, 03:52 PM
Pressure washer

LEDetailing
03-06-2016, 06:35 PM
Is there any way to coat it without removing the wheels?

Yes, Carpro's Cquartz Dlux would be a possibility. No need to remove the wheel if you can reach your hand between tire and liner.

You need to completely clean the plastic wheel well liner. I would clean with a heavy concentration of APC, then a tar remover like Stoner's terminator. After using tarminator I would wash again with APC and wash mitt. I would even use an IPA mix or Carpro's eraser to remove any residue. It might not be a bad idea to let the liners dry over night to ensure there is no water left behind. Then you can coat with Dlux.

Oh by the way,I've never done this myself, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once. I believe this is proper procedure on how to prep for CarPro's Dlux.

spielwurfel
03-06-2016, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys!

SYMAWD
03-06-2016, 08:26 PM
Pressure washer is all you need.

spielwurfel
03-06-2016, 08:55 PM
Pressure washer is all you need.

For those who said pressure washer only, I use it everytime I wash my car and I can tell it's not enough to remove all this dirt. There's always a good amount of sand and dirt that won't come off, specialy from that felt! ;)

Eldorado2k
03-06-2016, 09:00 PM
Noob question. Is the APC an equivalent to a degreaser?

No. APC is All Purpose Cleaner. Works almost the same way as a degreaser, but the degreaser is stronger.

SYMAWD
03-06-2016, 09:37 PM
For those who said pressure washer only, I use it everytime I wash my car and I can tell it's not enough to remove all this dirt. There's always a good amount of sand and dirt that won't come off, specialy from that felt! ;)

When I worked at a BMW dealer, a pressure washer was all that was ever needed for cars just as bad or worse than this.