what fluorescent tube temperature for garage?

octane

Reaction score
So we (the wife and I) bought a new house just outside of town with a big acre lot, and a big garage...

I got a deal for 4x32w T8 fluorescent tube fixtures, but I don't know what color temperature to choose, I know that the CRI is important to get 85+,

does 4000k make sense? 6500k makes more light, but does it look too bluish?

any feedback appreciated!

5000K is the closest to pure noon day sun--6500K is too blue and 4000K is too yellow.

Yeah, and what's the best wax?

I think I like 4000K, but you do seem to get used to the 5000K after a while.

6 fixtures x 4 bulbs, if I go with led tubes, I think the wife would kill me if she found out the price! in Canada the tubes are 25$ a pop thanks to the low value of our dollar... unless other canucks have found a better price?

No, those LED tubes are expensive, I think--also be careful I think I had looked into this and they don't put out as much light as the equivalent fluorescent tube.

Holy cow Rasky, that sounds too good to be true--so if I have a T12 fixture, I can just pull the ballast and wire direct and put in 2 T8 LED replacements, which together cost less than a T8 ballast?

It may depend on the fixture so I would post your question to the thread to be sure, I'm just sharing all the great info someone else provided. I plan to go with the LED fixture setup he has listed in the first post, though I may get 5000k bulbs for $1 more. ;)

Photographers & videographers use 5600 Kelvin temp as "Daylight" standard. Try to get a CRI (Color Rendering Index) as high as possible and affordable. (86+)

I found some Sylvania Octron value with a cri of 90 for 40$ per dozen, seems like the best compromise. Now to decide on 6000k or 5000k

"Sylvania Octron value with a cri of 90 for 40$ per dozen"

Deal! 5000K should be fine, as long as it's uniform all over the room.

"Sylvania Octron value with a cri of 90 for 40$ per dozen"

Deal! 5000K should be fine, as long as it's uniform all over the room.

That is just about as important and the color temp IMO.

Bill

After reading a ton of articles, I went with 5000k fluorescent. This garage is sort of a temporary detail shop until I can afford my dream garage addition, so I didn't want to put a ton of money into LED fixtures. It feels like daylight in there. I thought it would feel too "blue", having only used the warmer colors in the house before, but it's fine. I like how my finished vehicles look under these lights, even when I usually only take pictures with my iPhone.

I didn't worry about color temp. Tubes always look terrible, but I was looking for a really bright garage.

I have 14 two bulb 48" fixtures and I just buy cases of bulbs (48 of them) whenever they are on sale for a buck each at OSH. I change all of them every two years and save them for non critical areas. I have had to replace three fixtures due to ballast failure over the years.

Back