PDA

View Full Version : Have to hit the highway tomorrow night. Can I spray quick detailer on the front bumper without wiping it off?

DavidAl
03-11-2016, 10:16 PM
The objective is to keep the bugs from sticking and potentially etching the paint. I have no choice but to take the 300 mile drive in the middle of the night so I'm anticipating major bug-gut splatter. I'll be away from home and very busy so I won't have time to wash the car. Are there any adverse effects to keeping the detailer on the bumper and front portion of the hood without wiping it off for the duration of my travels, which will be a couple of days?

Thanks.

asianisafish
03-11-2016, 10:20 PM
I think it'll evaporate and or fly off by the time you start to move. If you want, I guess you could put wax on and not wipe it off if you're that worried.

Otherwise just bring some microfiber and quick detailer with you, and When you stop for gas for that 300 Mile trip, just spray the detailer all over the front, start you gas pumping stuff so the detailer can dwell for a bit, then wipe the front down while the gas pumps

Jowillie
03-11-2016, 10:21 PM
Others can correct if I am wrong...but spraying QD and wiping doesn't take it off--it spreads and evens it out. It puts it on.
Not wiping may leave streaks.

jamesboyy
03-11-2016, 10:34 PM
Like stated bring a few supplies with you and detail on gas breaks and before you settle in for the night though depending on the task at hand if you absolutely too busy then a few good coats of sealant and wax should hold you out until you can do an APC treatment once home again.... Enjoy your trip

pheerix
03-11-2016, 11:58 PM
Take up the front with painters tape, over clean paint obviously.

Billy Baldone
03-12-2016, 04:06 AM
Yep painters tape. Many guys put it right behind the rear wheels at the drag strip to keep rubber from sticking it would be a cheap quick alternative

GSKR
03-12-2016, 08:05 AM
The objective is to keep the bugs from sticking and potentially etching the paint. I have no choice but to take the 300 mile drive in the middle of the night so I'm anticipating major bug-gut splatter. I'll be away from home and very busy so I won't have time to wash the car. Are there any adverse effects to keeping the detailer on the bumper and front portion of the hood without wiping it off for the duration of my travels, which will be a couple of days?

Thanks.Sounds nuts but tire dressings works great.Ive been doing this for years traveling from ny to fla like 60 times since 1999. Now one coat of 845 will be the protection you are looking for while traveling.

Loser
03-12-2016, 08:11 AM
I just do a quick pass with a spray wax and then buff before a long drive. After I make the drive I just clean up any bugs with some ONR (QD dilution). I've even followed up the next day without issues.

ascarbo27
03-12-2016, 08:14 AM
yea if you spray qd i would think that the bugs, sand, salt all kinds of stuff would end up drying and "curing" with the qd possibly, i would just wax it then like said before clean at gas station

davidc
03-12-2016, 09:32 AM
Sounds nuts but tire dressings works great.Ive been doing this for years traveling from ny to fla like 60 times since 1999. Now one coat of 845 will be the protection you are looking for while traveling.

What he said. 845,476S,885 all make bug removal pretty easy and I have never seen any bug etching issue.

Dave