PDA

View Full Version : Noise level comparison between Harbor Freight DA and other DAs

Pages : [1] 2 3

deacno
03-13-2016, 04:36 PM
I picked up a Harbor Freight DA the other day and was surprised how loud it was. This is the first time I handled a DA so I have nothing really to compare it. Even at the lower speeds it was fairly loud, almost like a circular saw sound. In fact, the pitch sounds exactly like a circular saw but maybe a few dBs quieter (not much though).

I know the noise is going to be an issue (not for me since I can wear earplugs but the neighbors since Ill be working outside). Is the noise level typical for DAs are there other quieter ones?

Eldorado2k
03-13-2016, 04:53 PM
I don't think it's that loud.. IMO they're all about the same.

Tell whoever you live with to stand outside and turn on the polisher while you're inside in normal conditions with the windows shut.. You'll probably realize it's no big deal at all.

dlc95
03-13-2016, 09:17 PM
I always wear earplugs, or in ear monitors.

I think my Duetto is the loudest, and my 3401 is the quietest.

frankprozzoly
03-13-2016, 09:25 PM
I wear earplugs too. The constant noise drives me crazy

Eldorado2k
03-13-2016, 09:35 PM
I wear headphones, because whenever I go outside to do anything related to cleaning a car, the dog nextdoor begins barking endlessly at me behind the closed window. Stupid dog drives me crazy. Lol.

rsscoggins
05-05-2016, 03:23 PM
I just bought one and packed with the red high pressure grease. This reduced the noise considerably and also reduced the vibration. It still vibrates however as it is dual action!

mwemaxxowner
05-05-2016, 03:35 PM
How do you like it (function wise) and which one did you get?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Octopiston
05-05-2016, 06:52 PM
Mine is quite a bit louder than the rupes

hollerstiltner
05-05-2016, 07:16 PM
They didn't check the HF, but it gives a baseline as to where some others fall.

Maybe you and others can add some more to the list.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-tools-accessories/90098-decibel-rating-various-polishers.html

cardaddy
05-05-2016, 10:17 PM
i always wear earplugs, or in ear monitors.

I think my duetto is the loudest, and my 3401 is the quietest.

THIS! :props:

I remember way back when I first got my Duetto, then a few months later there was a You Tube video with Mike Phillips playing on our big screen (5000 watts of surround sound) while I was in another room, and I INSTANTLY knew that it was that distinct Rupes whine.

OTOH... I get some of my best listening in with my RHA MA750's whilst washing, buffing, and detailing in general. ;)

Steelholder
05-05-2016, 11:14 PM
I picked up a Harbor Freight DA the other day and was surprised how loud it was. This is the first time I handled a DA so I have nothing really to compare it. Even at the lower speeds it was fairly loud, almost like a circular saw sound. In fact, the pitch sounds exactly like a circular saw but maybe a few dBs quieter (not much though).

I know the noise is going to be an issue (not for me since I can wear earplugs but the neighbors since Ill be working outside). Is the noise level typical for DAs are there other quieter ones?
Im surprised no one has mentioned this but there is a common mod or addition to be made to this good little diamond in the rough. ADD GREASE TO IT. Most of them do not have grease on the gears, it's all splattered on the top cover. Open it up and either use the same grease and apply all over the right areas or upgrade to a better quality grease. If possible please do a before and after audio or video to see if this indeed helps with your noise problem. Both hf da's I have are used and the previous owners already modded them. Plenty of how to vids on the tube and tutorials here.

JRP
05-06-2016, 08:03 AM
My opinion instead of buying an unfinished diamond. Select a good quality correcting, polishing, and waxing tool available for purchase from several PBMG stores that just happens to provide and support this awesome forum:xyxthumbs:

Jaretr1
05-06-2016, 10:21 AM
My opinion instead of buying an unfinished diamond. Select a good quality correcting, polishing, and waxing tool available for purchase from several PBMG stores that just happens to provide and support this awesome forum:xyxthumbs:

I agree.

I remember seeing my friend use his HF and it was very loud, and heavy. The PC is not as loud, a little smoother, and about a pound lighter. What can you expect from a cheap Chinese made tool?

Steelholder
05-06-2016, 10:41 AM
A cheaper price is to be expected and for some that makes the difference. Do they work and do the job? Yes, reviews out say they do regardless of what others think. There isn't anything wrong with paying 3 times the amount of an hf polisher to have some peace of mind, some of the more popular brands are made in China as well are those cheap too?

mwemaxxowner
05-06-2016, 11:05 AM
For those of us who will use it once a year, or maybe just once period, it makes perfect sense. I have yet to read a bad review on its effectiveness. Backing pad isn't the greatest. That's all I read bad.

I also have yet to come across a review saying one burnt up.

For those like me who want to correct swirls, but want to save some and do it myself, and also don't trust any local shops, it is a no brainer. I'd rather put the other hundred bucks toward my chemical products and microfibers.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk