PDA

View Full Version : Finally had a go at it

Outdoorliffe99
03-15-2016, 02:50 PM
After months of reading and ordering this that an the other from AG, I finally corrected the paint on what was an already nice finish on a 06 Acura TL. Word here is "what I thought" I did the wash, iron x, clay bar which I did years ago, then washed. An moved in garage to have a go with the new PC, as all of you have said it took a bit to get the jest of what I was doing, right pad, right compound. I have a huge assortment. Orange,white,black,red. Anyhow after I tried various combos an then hit it with an orange and meg 205, my word.....the car turned a new shade of white. Finished up with the klass twins on a red an black pad and this baby is shiney, looks wet. Couldn't believe it. Sad thing is its my daily driver but what the neck, will just have to keep it washed now. Thanks slot for all the tips guys. I'm hooked on this site now

Buster906
03-15-2016, 03:13 PM
Outdoorliffe99, can you give some reviews on products you have?

LSNAutoDetailing
03-15-2016, 03:18 PM
Nice to hear... Some Megs D114 (rinselss wash) will keep it in that nice "wet" look going. You'll find it will be easier to maintain now. You're 06 just got a new lease on life.

tenblade2001
03-15-2016, 03:37 PM
Awesome! Post some pictures!

Outdoorliffe99
03-16-2016, 12:49 AM
Thanks y'all, be more than happy to show it off once I figure out how,not real phone smart. Got kids though. I got a porter cable DA, some lake country thin pads and a few thick ones, seems the thin did a better job or maybe it was just my lack of experience. Have the Maguires 105 & 205, seems that was the standard to go by, might try some other products down the road. Then used the klass polish and sealant. One question I do have is what is the big difference between a black pad an red? I used black for polish and red for sealant and I moved kind of fast with both. One thing I can say for sure, that will come in time is work slow. Everyone said time an again don't rush. Man it's hard not to, want to see the finish product. Anyhow thanks for all the tips on this forum.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
03-16-2016, 01:19 AM
Ya the Autogeek forum is really awesome, you get to learn alot from everybody. And everyone is always generous and nice

Buster906
03-16-2016, 05:00 AM
Outdoorliffe99, if 105 is not providing enough cut, try 100 or the Diamond cut. The Meguiars microfiber cut and polish kit works quite well. There is some dusting but a soft microfiber towel or air compressor will move the spent product.

dlc95
03-16-2016, 07:35 AM
Thanks y'all, be more than happy to show it off once I figure out how,not real phone smart. Got kids though. I got a porter cable DA, some lake country thin pads and a few thick ones, seems the thin did a better job or maybe it was just my lack of experience. Have the Maguires 105 & 205, seems that was the standard to go by, might try some other products down the road. Then used the klass polish and sealant. One question I do have is what is the big difference between a black pad an red? I used black for polish and red for sealant and I moved kind of fast with both. One thing I can say for sure, that will come in time is work slow. Everyone said time an again don't rush. Man it's hard not to, want to see the finish product. Anyhow thanks for all the tips on this forum.

The black pad is firmer than the blue or red.

Outdoorliffe99
03-16-2016, 11:55 PM
Thanks dlc95, I very new at this, why is firmer or softer required? Or better yet what would you use eaither or both for?

lomby
03-17-2016, 07:51 AM
My understanding is that the firmer pads are more aggressive (more cutting). It allows you to fine tune what ever step you are working on. For example you can use a compound on a softer pad and if you are not getting the results you are after you can use the same compound with a firmer more aggressive pad, etc.. At least that is the way I understand it, still learning ;)