Griot's G9 ?

nkme2000

Reaction score
I'm brand new to all this detailing stuff. I own 3 black cars and 1 dark grey SUV. I love keeping my vehicles clean and have decided now is the time to attempt to detail them myself. I have purchased a Griot's G9 starter kit. My question and confusion is about whether I have bought too advanced of a machine ... I am reading about the safety feature of some of the other machines when you apply too much pressure they stop the pad rotation. Does the G9 operate in the same manner? Or will the G9 power through too much pressure from an amateur like me?

Thanks for your help.

You are fine.

The G9 is a free-spinning orbital. No worries. :)

The G9 is currently the best machine one can start with. Make sure you have enough pads as most kits don’t include nearly enough of them. High quality towels are a must too.

The G9 is currently the best machine one can start with. Make sure you have enough pads as most kits don’t include nearly enough of them. High quality towels are a must too.

^^This^^

No sense in getting the best entry-level machine, only to find that you do not have enough pads and quality removal towels.

This hobby can seem to be overwhelming at first, but you really need to get the correct supplies and amounts (e.g. pads) to have the best experience for your first go.

Thank you...

Care to make any recommendations?

Ok. Great start!

Without looking through all of the kits, I assume you will get Speed Shine, GG clay, and a MF towel in the clay kit. Great kit.

But only about 3 pads. I would buy at least 6 of the pads for a normal car. It will make your life easier, and keep you from over-working the pads.

As far as MF towels, I really like Cobra, The Rag Company, and a few others. You cannot really go wrong with anything here on AG.

What are your plans as far as liquids (polish/compounds)?

What are your plans as far as liquids (polish/compounds)?

Don't laugh at me ... but with three black cars and no experience, I'm going to try Hybrid Solutions Acrylic Black AIO

I have no experience with that, but I am sure others have.

There are many experience levels here on AGO.

Myself, I am just a driveway enthusiast that has experimented with (too) many products, but only on my own vehicles, and none are black.

Depending on your paint condition, what you're trying to achieve, and the product(s) you are going to use, you may need some of the black and/or red Griot's foam pads too.

This is an excellent chart to guide you on what Griot's pads to use according to surface condition, products being used, your level of expertise, etc.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/text/pdf/padproductref.pdf

Pads that would be versatile, a great all around basic Pad, are not too aggressive, but can be combined with a variety of compounds and polishes to great effect and results would be the 5.5" White Lake Country Thinpro Pads. The degree of correction will then be varied by the Polishes you choose.

Like all other Free Wheeling D/A Machines, it is good to mark the Backing Plate with a Magic Marker, or Sharpie Pen, whichever would be easier to see, so you can keep tabs on Pad Rotation as you polish.

Without Pad rotation, correction efficiency drops to just about zero with such machines.

Regardless that free wheeling machines are pretty safe and foolproof, one should still be in the habit of not polishing directly on top of paint edges, for one, paint is commonly thinner in these areas. It is heat that can burn paint, and yes, a free wheeling D/A can generate a good deal of heat at the panel surface and pad. Same with Badges, and Trim, often today are nothing but Plastic Parts and can be damaged.

And it is heat that can and will shorten a Polishing Pad's life. it is one of the reasons that others have suggested getting a decent number of any particular pad that you'll commonly use.

Another reason, and even when cleaning a Pad on the fly with a Towel, or a Brush, Pads become loaded with excessive polishes, and as well contaminants and oxidation that are being removed with the polishing processes. Once they become loaded with polish products, and dirts, you're not going to be working optimally, nor cleanly.

Usually common, that after a couple-few panels, swap out the Pad in use for a fresh clean one, lightly re-prime the pad again, and continue on. 5-6 Pads for one vehicle is not excessive. As Mike Phillips once coined, "In a perfect world, one Panel, one Pad".

The less beating a pad gets, the longer it will last. Heat can be a Pad's biggest enemy. Try polishing a vehicle with just 1 or 2 pads, you'll likely be tossing them in the trash after, and as I'm sure you've found, pads are not cheap.

Good Pad Cleaning products do work a whole lot better than cheaper off the shelf All Purpose Cleaners to clean your Pads when done with them.

Masking Tapes of various widths are a very wise acquisition, and should be on hand whenever polishing with a D/A, to mask areas that you do not wish polishes on, or areas that could be prone to damage from the polishing processes. Trim, Rubber, Crevices where Headlights and Tail Lights meet the Body Panels, Door Handles, Badges and Emblems, etc.

Yes, masking is more work which you would do after paint decontamination processes, and just prior to polishing, but will save you work in that you're then not trying to remove staining, product residues loaded in crevices and cracks-seams, or crying because you damaged an emblem or badge-etc.

My question and confusion is about whether I have bought too advanced of a machine ... I am reading about the safety feature of some of the other machines when you apply too much pressure they stop the pad rotation.

Does the G9 operate in the same manner? Or will the G9 power through too much pressure from an amateur like me?

Thanks for your help.

This is a very safe tool. The safety is because it uses what's called a free floating, of free spinning spindle bearing assembly. If you push too hard or hold the tool at an angle so that the pad is NOT flat to the surface, the pad will stall out and pose no risk. (unlike a rotary buffer).

For this same safety reason everyone loves about tools like this, it also means it will be more difficult to buff out curved panels and thin panels. See what I just wrote here,

https://www.autogeekonline.net/foru...ions-/126427-technique-video.html#post1675588

Don't laugh at me ... but with three black cars and no experience, I'm going to try Hybrid Solutions Acrylic Black AIO

WE don't carry that product yet,

Hybrid Solutions

But my guess is it uses the same ABRASIVE TECHNOLOGY as the Hybrid Solutions Polish & Wax and I was very impressed with this product.

Check out the swirl level and the after shots here,

Review: Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Polish & Wax

Just an old 2-door Plymouth...

Ceramic_Polish_Wax_051.JPG

You're going to want a LOT of pad. A minimum of 6 pads for one car. I explain why in the number #5 video here.

Complete List of Live Broadcast Videos on YouTube - Yancy Martinez & Mike Phillips

:)

Back