Drying Aid

They drying aid they do recommend is $80 a gallon. SnS is $40. Pretty sure that has nothing to do with it.

Think [mention]The Guz [/mention] tried it and OG drying aid. He says there the same after trying I’m good with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used both as a drying aid with no problem at all. Just be sure to wash your towels after use as apposed letting them sit for a few days.

Yes, I watched The Guz You tube on it last night . Thanks for the input guys! Might give it a try. Slick & Slide that is.

I don't use a drying aid with the intent of adding lubricity to the towel, I do it to add gloss and slickness since I will be taking a towel over the entire surface anyways.

Two birds one towel.

Reactions: BLM
Anyone like CarPro’s Elixir?

I liked it enough to buy it again, but I wouldn't say it's my favorite. It's one of those products where less-is-more, otherwise it can become streaky. Gloss and slickness are nice though.

I'm pretty neutral on it, but I'm not a rabid user of toppers. It's called a "detailer" but I didn't find it to have the properties I'd expect of a "detailer"

I did find it surprisingly durable and protected "naked" surfaces about 6~8 weeks with pretty good beading. However, I didn't see that it really added any additional gloss or make any noticeable difference to the water behavior when applied over CQUK 3.0. I also found it was very temperature sensitive. If you apply it in temperatures around 60F and below it gets really smeary/streaky and almost impossible to buff off.

Out of these products mentioned do any of them truly produce a streak free result?

I've only tried Adams detail spray and Uber rinseless diluted as a drying aid. On my black vehicle these always leave behind a visible film regardless of how little product I use or how thorough I buff it off. Its subtle, but its there.

The Griots PFM towels leave a streak free finish for me and I've noticed no additional marring drying with them using the 'matador' technique. I'd like the extra lubrication as insurance if there's a product that won't streak on black paint at all.

Out of these products mentioned do any of them truly produce a streak free result?

I've only tried Adams detail spray and Uber rinseless diluted as a drying aid. On my black vehicle these always leave behind a visible film regardless of how little product I use or how thorough I buff it off. Its subtle, but its there.

The Griots PFM towels leave a streak free finish for me and I've noticed no additional marring drying with them using the 'matador' technique. I'd like the extra lubrication as insurance if there's a product that won't streak on black paint at all.

Forget the "drying aid" myth and just use your PFM.

This is a cool hobby, but some things get out of hand with OCD-ness.

If I am to believe that a soft drying towel is somehow microscopically damaging/marring my paint without using a drying aid (lubricant), then the hobby just got too complicated and therefore no fun.

I’ve had no issues using the PFM by itself. The results are fantastic and I’m more than “a little fussy”.

If I am to believe that a soft drying towel is somehow microscopically damaging/marring my paint without using a drying aid (lubricant), then the hobby just got too complicated and therefore no fun.

I’ve had no issues using the PFM by itself. The results are fantastic and I’m more than “a little fussy”.

I love my PFMs. I have the big edgeless one for the roof and hood and use two of the easier to manage 16inx16in PFMs for the vertical surfaces.

Funny too as this myth was made up by the consumers and then the Manufacturer’s jumped on.

I use it as a easy way to add a little gloss and pop during spring and summer. Just cuz it’s easy to kill 2 birds.

Cost a pretty penny but I like using PA products as drying aid. No streaking on my black Mustang.

Most cost effective would be Presto detailer for $57.50 (on sale) for 32oz

Will last you a LONG time.

Absolutely BLEW MY MIND!!! I used it on my own car last week and haven't seen water behavior like that from a quickie! I was 1st using 3 in 1 and moved to TEC582 and really liked it.
Then after using the Elexir we had a bunch of rain and it was slinging silly! Even when I did my N914 daily clean it was beading supper tiny beads I've never seen from anything I've used before. Also not my car has zero coating. Just Essence.

Funny too as this myth was made up by the consumers and then the Manufacturer’s jumped on.

I use it as a easy way to add a little gloss and pop during spring and summer. Just cuz it’s easy to kill 2 birds.

This is me too.

While I have no doubt good quality, well maintained microfiber towels will not be scratching my paint, I just enjoy the whole "drying aid process". With the exception of dressing the tires, drying the car at the same time as adding some extra gloss and slickness is my favorite detailing tasks.

The first drying aid I've used that was marketed as one was Bowden's After Glow. But then I remembered that I used both the Duragloss and Autoglym Aqua Waxes, which are not sold as drying aids, but wax as you dry products. From what I remember, they didn't help with drying, but saved time, two jobs at once, After Glow does seem to help with water absorbency, and feels slick.

I do remember when the whole push away from chamois to waffle weave was happening, but I was never sold on them. They were never as good as drying as the chamois I used. In fact, many many years ago an auto magazine did a test of chamois, it was Which Car from memory, and the Oates Enka-fill that I use came equal first with the Meguiar's one. I still have 3 of them, the oldest is over 20 years old, and is only used for door jams and lower plastics. The "good" one is about 10 years old, and has never touched the ground or a dirty car.

Currently if I'm not using a drying aid or Wet Wax, I use the Gyeon Silk Drying Towel. It's absorbency is as good as my chamois, but it's probably safer on the paint. I only ever use the chamois on the FJ now anyway, the Qashqai's paint seems much softer.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

You are missing at least a few of the reasons that I use a drying aid. Yes it does add some lubricate to the surface and chances of inducing scratches but one reason I use a drying aid is to eliminate hard water spots. Another very good reason is its an easy way to add some protection.

I do a lot of rinseless washing these days so right after I've used my rinseless sponge I spray the panel with my drying aid and hit it with my drying towel. Quick and easy.

But I'm a value conscious product user and don't buy any dedicated drying aids. I mix my own and I'll bet they perform as good as any dedicated drying aids. Don't buy into a lot of the overhyped products which I feel is very common in the industry.

I use HD Speed once/year on my cars. Then on maintenance washes, I use Meg's Quick Detailer or one of the Meg's spray waxes as a drying aid. It's inexpensive and my cars never stop beading. The Meg's QD doubles as a clay lube.

I use PFM towels as well but also use a drying aid. I mix 100 oz of distilled water, 25 oz of Optimum instant detailer and 3 oz of Optimum Car Wax which is now Si02 infused. Works great and adds protection that lasts till next wash. I am doing all this for $15.00 per gallon.

Back