Drying Aids over SIO2 Products

BLM1

Reaction score
So if I apply an SIO2 wax or sealant and then during maintenance washes use a drying aid should that drying aid be an SIO2 based product as well. What if anything would happen if the drying aid was not ceramic based?

So if I apply an SIO2 wax or sealant and then during maintenance washes use a drying aid should that drying aid be an SIO2 based product as well. What if anything would happen if the drying aid was not ceramic based?

If your wax/sealant has a companion quick detailer/drying aid then I would tend to use that combination if you are concerned

An example would be Griot's 3 in 1 Ceramic Wax and their Ceramic Speed Shine

Or

Megs Hybrid Ceramic Wax and Hybrid Ceramic Detailer

The list goes on and on

Having said that, there are dozens of possible mix and match combination from different companies and I honestly don't think you are going to get anything but good results

I personally love Megs HCW with Optimum OCW on top, and OCW is not listed as having any SIO2 components

If you want to stick with an SIO2 topper try 3D Bead it Up, polymers and wax and SIO2 blend and it plays well with others

YMMV

Edited to add Technician's Choice 582 Ceramic Detail Spray because a LOT of people swear by it as either a standalone LSP or a topper over something more durable

If your wax/sealant has a companion quick detailer/drying aid then I would tend to use that combination if you are concerned

An example would be Griot's 3 in 1 Ceramic Wax and their Ceramic Speed Shine

Or

Megs Hybrid Ceramic Wax and Hybrid Ceramic Detailer

The list goes on and on

Having said that, there are dozens of possible mix and match combination from different companies and I honestly don't think you are going to get anything but good results

I personally love Megs HCW with Optimum OCW on top, and OCW is not listed as having any SIO2 components

If you want to stick with an SIO2 topper try 3D Bead it Up, polymers and wax and SIO2 blend and it plays well with others

YMMV

Edited to add Technician's Choice 582 Ceramic Detail Spray because a LOT of people swear by it as either a standalone LSP or a topper over something more durable

The updated Optimum Car Wax now has sio2 in it. I wasn't expecting that to happen!

And to further your point:

I have Optimum stuff on our cars at home, and if I use a drying aide it's usually Car Wax or Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer. Sometime I'll use Opti-Seal, but I have six gallons of the old version of Car Wax to enjoy.

I have not experienced this, but I've read that some of the ceramic coatings have issues if the drying aide, topper, or even shampoo is used. One I've read about is Meguiar's Gold Class shampoo killing the beading properties of some ceramic coatings. I've never encountered the situation personally, so, who knows.

With your sio2 wax or sealant I'd be more daring because it's just too easy to reapply if something goes wrong with the experiment. I would be more inclined to throw caution to the wind a bit with s sio2 wax or sealant.

The updated Optimum Car Wax now has sio2 in it. I wasn't expecting that to happen!

I have Optimum stuff on our cars at home, and if I use a drying aide it's usually Car Wax or Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer. Sometime I'll use Opti-Seal, but I have six gallons of the old version of Car Wax to enjoy.

I had no idea that OCW was updated with SIO2

I can’t wait to get my hands on some

Heck, my last bottle of OCW is still blue

I also use OID and think it’s one of the best bargains in a drying aid

670966fd578925a2ade458d26d9fb765.jpg

Don’t mind the Q, Sharpie typo…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My current drying aid mixed in 1 gallon batches consists of 100 oz distilled water, 25 oz Optimum Quick Detailer, 3 oz Optimum Car Wax.
I haven't used it over any ceramic based waxes or sealants. My concern was if I did use it over a ceramic wax it would clog the hydro properties of the wax/sealant.
I just acquired the Optimum Car Wax about 5 months ago. I see nothing about it containing sio2. Optimum does have a new Ceramic sealant. Could this be what dic95 is referring to?

New Optimum Ultra Ceramic Seal

My current drying aid mixed in 1 gallon batches consists of 100 oz distilled water, 25 oz Optimum Quick Detailer, 3 oz Optimum Car Wax.
I haven't used it over any ceramic based waxes or sealants. My concern was if I did use it over a ceramic wax it would clog the hydro properties of the wax/sealant.
I just acquired the Optimum Car Wax about 5 months ago. I see nothing about it containing sio2. Optimum does have a new Ceramic sealant. Could this be what dic95 is referring to?

New Optimum Ultra Ceramic Seal

I do something similar but mix up smaller batches with products that are ceramic friendly

3 oz Meg's Hybrid Cermic Detailer
3 oz Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer
1/2 oz Wolgang Uber sio2 concentrate
26 oz water

Works great for cleaning/protecting glass as well.

I do something similar but mix up smaller batches with products that are ceramic friendly

3 oz Meg's Hybrid Cermic Detailer
3 oz Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer
1/2 oz Wolgang Uber sio2 concentrate
26 oz water

Works great for cleaning/protecting glass as well.

Why the two different detailers? Does one offer something that the other does not?

The closest I have come to a secret sauce is 1 oz of Griots 3in1 Ceramic Wax in a bottle of Griots Ceramic Speed Shine

That was suggested not that long ago by one of the regular folks on the forum, sadly I can’t remember who…, I think Coatingsarecrack?

Anyway, I don’t have any long term results but it’s sure nice to spritz on a panel and wipe and buff and the hydrophobics seem really nice and if it gets wet immediately it doesn’t seem to mind the water

Why the two different detailers? Does one offer something that the other does not?

Honestly, I haven't tried using just one or the other. Although, I'm fairly certain it will work fine either way. I just mixed it up one day like that and stuck with it.

Griots Ceramic 3-1 or CarPro Ech20. Got the idea from CarPro’s Merlin mix which became Elixer.

People would add a little reload to Ech20.

I like to add a little ceramic sealant in A QD as I deal it adds more slickness. Also when using as drying aid you dilute the product.

If product is non Ceramic I don’t think it hurts as it usually has light protection and wares away quickly.

I used Ammo NYC hydrate on a true ceramic coating and no ill effects.

So you were correct sir

30b58aa42e2637029c7e50151f28cc13.jpg

I am not even seeing this on the OPT website yet, although the picture of the gallon size has the gold sticker as shown, but no mention of Sio2 that I can see

Yes, strange that the gallon has the gold sticker and the 17 oz bottle does not. I find it odd that Optimum says nothing about this. Leaving consumers guessing is not a great statagy. Especially for those that are faithful users of their product.
Of course they could put one drop of ceramic liquid into a gallon and call it ceramic infused.

TWHS WET WAX. Meant for a drying aid. One of my favorites.

So don't know if you have ever used the Turtle Wax "Wax and Dry". How would you compare the Wet Wax to that?
I have read a lot of reviews that say streaking is a common issue.

I've been tinkering with not drying aid, but more a wipedown topper....
While it does seem a bit slicker after application, on coatings, it seems to -repel- more than it will take in

Back