Does anyone have a good method for adding a cooling hole to the center of a foam pad?

Bri26

Reaction score
I have some foam pads without the hole in the center. I want to add a 3/4" hole on those pads to help with cooling for use on a 15mm stroke da polisher.

you can buy a set of hollow punches for less than $15. I bought one years ago when I needed to make sizes of a pad not offered by the manufacturer. I made 2" pads (meguiar's polishing pad). the only thing is they may not come out perfectly round (every time) depending on how you strike (i use a small piece of wood over the top and a rubber mallet) the hollow punch when cutting them because the foam stretches/expands if that makes sense. if it were me i would just leave the pad alone and buy ones that have the center hole next time around. one mistake and you ruin the whole pad...

View attachment 77315View attachment 77316

Why not simply trace around a round object of your choice with a razor knife.

Well a brand new razor blade in a razor knife is waaaaaaay sharper than a hole punch or a hole saw.

Not talking about the sharpness..trying to cut a half way perfect circle with a razor knife is not an easy task.

Thanks for the input. I found some other information online of someone recommending using a General Tools 1280P 3/4" Hollow Steel Punch. It's about $16 bucks on Amazon. I'm not sure if I will give it a try or not.

Not talking about the sharpness..trying to cut a half way perfect circle with a razor knife is not an easy task.

That is why one traces (with a razor knife) around a washer, or a wooden dowel, anything round. Besides if not a perfect circle I highly doubt it will affect the intended purpose of the hole.

Back