LED v.s. Fluorescent lights in the garage

9x Commercial Electric LED shop lights on ceiling ( from Home Depot about $40 each and can run 9 in series, regular plug ), 6x T5 LED fixtures on each wall ( eBay/amazon specials, regular plug, can run 6 in series) , dual par38s on photography stands if needed. The 6k color temperature works well on dark paint, the 4k color temperature is better with lighter colored paint. It's bright in my garage 😎 No problem with cold temps, but I live in South Louisiana.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have 6 8ft fixtures with 4 4ft fluorescent bulbs in each fixture. 6500k daylight bulbs . In a 2 bay garage. It is just right for me. If im doing a final inspection on paint ill sometimes just turn them off and use only my Rupes pen light. Seems to work great for me .

Also once I put a light gray exopy and clear coat on my floor it seemed to make things seem alot brighter and helped to reflect the light. Could be just me tho ☺

I would def go with LED personally. They last virtually forever, don't hum (maybe it's just me but it drives me nuts), are super bright and don't fade over time, don't take anytime to turn on and use less energy. I have tall ceilings in my garage and I installed a hot red light to match my Camaro. Here's the ones I used http://cheaphighbays.com/product.html?l=highbay-a

Just went through this - had several florescent fixtures that were giving me problems. Looked like ballasts were going bad in a couple. I also needed more light. Costco had LED fixtures are a decent price so I bought a bunch of them. Total cost was about the same as getting more florescent and fixing the bad ones. The light is better overall and the fixtures are smaller so I could get them into dark areas more easily. These can be hard wired but also have regular plugs so it can save you wiring if you're not up for that.

The one downside is that they have a delay before coming in. No flicker like florescents, but it takes a second for them to come on which is a little annoying. No regrets, and they take practically no power so I don't care when the kids leave them on overnight.

The one downside is that they have a delay before coming in. No flicker like florescents, but it takes a second for them to come on which is a little annoying. No regrets, and they take practically no power so I don't care when the kids leave them on overnight.

Are you using the pull chains or do you have them wired to a switch? If you have them on a switch, they make dedicated LED switches. It will eliminate the delay.

Interesting - I'll look into that. They're all wired to a wall switch. But I have to admit I don't see how the switch could be an issue - it's just a typical single-pole light switch. All it does is make contact to complete the circuit. What would an LED switch do differently to eliminate the delay?

I assumed the delay was due to the circuitry in the lights.

It's more of an issue with dimmer switches, but as I understand it the circuitry in an LED requires very specific power requirements, and the delay is waiting for the circuitry to recognize the power is ok. LED switches hold the power momentarily so it bursts to the light and is at the proper level.

Obviously I'm not an electrician but I saw this effect in my old house with non-dimmable LED specific switches. Prior to swapping the switch we had the annoying delay, as well as some flickering. The switch solved the problem.

I am Moving to a new house soon and bought these to install (12 total) in a 3 car garage.

6a825128cdf5b4aa9185b8e984e10d55.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am Moving to a new house soon and bought these to install (12 total) in a 3 car garage.

6a825128cdf5b4aa9185b8e984e10d55.jpg

You will not be disappointed! I have 6 of those in my 3 car

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

You will not be disappointed! I have 6 of those in my 3 car

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Good to hear can’t wait to close

How do you have them spaced?

Here is the garage unfinished at the moment

7eb4e6cf4832563a64d4bbd7ccb2a68c.jpg
d36cb6fe34a3498a7862d4050b34608d.jpg

In Ukraine, most often in the garages used lamps DPP 2x36 1200mm IP65 Optima. These are practical and universal in use LED lamps. They are evenly distributed around the perimeter of the room, such as hanging from the ceiling or placed in a vertical position on the walls. LED lamps of any colour temperature are installed inside. These luminaires provide a illuminated workstation for straightening and painting work with cars.

Back