Decal Etching: What process would you recommend to remove these?

Dan Tran

Sep 10, 2015
Portsmouth, NH
www.thebuffingmoose.com
2015 Ford F-150

I am currently not in the position to do a test spot on this vehicle.

However, if anyone here has ever dealt with something similar to this, please share your process.

I have this project in two weeks. Here is what I currently have on hand.

Rupes 21 LHR Mark II
Meguiar’s MF Cutting Disc
Rupes Yellow Pad
Meguiar’s M100
Meguiar’s M205
CarPro Essence Extreme Gloss Enhancer (HAVE NOT USED YET)

8605c8854706dd5c5ed2e27d129f751f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Depends how long the adhesive from the decal been sitting on top of the paint while exposed to heat and cold.
You have the right tools to improve it or remove it. In some cases will require light wetsanding starting with 3k grit.

I think you'll be ok. You got all you need to address the etching.

Be sure to give the area a good clay job before hitting with the polisher.

Worst case...very light wet sanding as last resort.

Tom

I've seen decal removal leave some "ghosting" behind no matter what you do. In my painting days I've even seen old decals and stripes, etc., ghost into a new paint job unless the area was completely stripped to bare metal before painting. All you can do is give it your best shot and hope you get lucky.

I've seen decal removal leave some "ghosting" behind no matter what you do. In my painting days I've even seen old decals and stripes, etc., ghost into a new paint job unless the area was completely stripped to bare metal before painting. All you can do is give it your best shot and hope you get lucky.

My daughter's car had this exact problem. When we bought it the factory installed vinyl pinstripes were hard and cracking, not to mention pretty ugly and she wanted them gone.

We were able to get them off and remove all the adhesive, but despite a good polishing the paint under the stripes is slightly darker color. At least it doesn't look as bad as the decayed pinstripes.

My daughter's car had this exact problem. When we bought it the factory installed vinyl pinstripes were hard and cracking, not to mention pretty ugly and she wanted them gone.

We were able to get them off and remove all the adhesive, but despite a good polishing the paint under the stripes is slightly darker color. At least it doesn't look as bad as the decayed pinstripes.

Yeah, paint fade differences will probably be your only concern. Depends on how long the decals were on and how much the rest of the paint faded around them.

The ghosting I'm talking about isn't from color mismatch, although that is also a concern, rather it is a subtle edge that remains after all is said and done.

The ghosting I'm talking about isn't from color mismatch, although that is also a concern, rather it is a subtle edge that remains after all is said and done.

I've not encountered that, even with the fossilized pinstripes I mentioned. After using solvents, a plastic razor blade, and polishing, I've always been able to remove all remnants of the decal/stripe.