Affordable hand held light for finding coating high spots?

nvestr

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have 2 white cars - have already coated one and only ended up with 1 small high spot that I missed. I would like better lighting for when I apply to my second vehicle this spring.

What is an affordable light for a hobbyist that only does his own vehicles? I do not want to spend the $$ for a Scangrip or whatever - not worth the cost for applying coatings twice every 4 years or so for me. What is the best I can do under $50?

Thanks

The Griot's light is nice, but a tick higher than $50.00

It does come with some cool features though...

Griot's Garage THE BOSS LED Swirl-Finder Light

In some of my car detailing projects I've used this light and it's worked really well, sorry can't think of any "titles" to share at this moment.

I am coating a black Camaro and I'll re-visit this light for a high spot finder.

;)

The Flex swirl finder light is a nice piece. $44.95

The Griot's light is nice, but a tick higher than $50.00

I am coating a black Camaro and I'll re-visit this light for a high spot finder.

Re-visited.

I'll share a picture or two and give you my thoughts now that the Ccar is coated.

Back it out into the sun and you will see the high spots for free.

I'm a huge fan of using the sun for inspecting paint, and I'm pretty sure I cover this topic in my how-to book, "The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine". Also use the sun myself - ESPECIALLY when I want to document the true swirl condition of a car BEFORE I start work. And specifically if the car has holograms.

That said, IF the sun is out then it's really only good for inspecting the horizontal surfaces and these are the easiest surfaces to inspect. Most "enthusiasts" have a light of some form on the ceiling of their garage so either with the sun or artificial light, the average person can inspect for high spots on the horizontal surfaces, hood, roof and trunk lid.

Where it gets tricky and where it also gets difficult is the vertical panels. In fact, we experienced what I would call a High Spot Emergency, here at Autogeek and after learning of it I wrote the below article and now include this story in ALL my detailing classes as a way to teach or educate people the value and importance of having a GREAT hand held light if they or ANYONE is going to install a coating.

Oh... let's just say it like it should be say, apply a coating. :laughing:

Here's my article.... and the picture of my friend Jeff in the article, that's what I do and that's what I did last night after applying a coating to a black Camaro. The hood and trunk lid were easy to inspect, but in order to REALLY see what was going on at the surface level of the Camaro I needed a powerful light.

Installing a Ceramic Paint Coating? You MUST have a GREAT hand held light to avoid high spots!

1980_Corvette_106.jpg

OF course, as stated in my first post to this thread, I used the Griot's BOSS light for this project.

Hang tight.... I'll be back....

:)

Great - thanks! That looks promising. It's a bit more than I was looking to spend (especially delivered in Canada) but looks very promising. I love Griot's garage products.

Let us know how you make out. We will probably be almost as excited as you if you find out it wasn't CC damage!

Let us know how you make out. We will probably be almost as excited as you if you find out it wasn't CC damage!

You might have posted this to the wrong thread. I think you're talking about the one with the PPF removed from a Porsche?

Does anyone know off the top of their heads around how many lumens and at what color range (in K) these are?

I'm also a camper, and boy, I don't think I could justify hearing the "how many flashlights do you need?" question. ;)

Eric

Does anyone know off the top of their heads around how many lumens and at what color range (in K) these are?

I'm also a camper, and boy, I don't think I could justify hearing the "how many flashlights do you need?" question. ;)

Eric

I have not watched this video but they may share this type of info in it....

I have not watched this video but they may share this type of info in it....

Thanks for that...no mention of K's, but lumen output is mentioned.
Regular = 320 Lumens
Spotlight = 120 Lumens

Good/smart features on this one. Only Lights I have with a magnetic base are lanterns, not flashlights per se.

Eric

Back