Windshield Sun Shade SHRINKS

chefwong

Reaction score
1st time using a Windshield Sun Shade.....in usage ownerership
Covercraft....whatever their top model is.

Coming up on its 3rd season of use. Call me crazy, as it's just a reflective material on the outer and the inner is a foam core.
Can foam shrink....

I swear, while it was almost a -tight- fit on new ownership, I literally was tinkering with shifting it a 1/4 left or right, just to even it out as there is sun sun poking through the lower sides I can visibly see that I cannot recall seeing in the past 2 seasons. It's not alot...but enough for me to see -sun- coming past the edges

I dunno...in theory foam should not shrink but maybe it does ?

in some situations at least, foam can definitely shrink. if it's compressed for a long time, it will eventually not expand to its original shape. just look at the insoles in your shoes. not familiar with this sun shade tho.

Not sure if worthwhile to call. I did a brief look. Stated 1 year Warranty.

Strangely, this is not the 2nd time I've observed it shrinking. Previously, I could tell the opening for the rearview etc - did seem to have a large gap that was noticeable....but didn't pay much mind, as it was negligible in the grand scheme. But having light on the dash (which was the main reason as I wanted to keep as much heat off the leather dash) as possible - no bueno.

I have bought Ultimate Reflector for all vehicles and for others as gifts. Think I've bought 7 over the years now. They are fantastic! Probably why I keep buying the same brand. They are pricey for a sun shade, but all are still like brand new shape. Silver reflector one side and black felt the other for winter to attract the sun. They come with a carrying pouch/case too. No changes in size after years of use on any of these.

So I'm not going crazy ? I mean, in my mind, I would think foam would not shrink.....and it's not like I see the exterior cover peeling/pulling from the CORE of it. The is the 1st time I've been using one so hence....figure I'd ask others who have used it, what has been your experience with it....does it shrink.

I checked out a bunch when I bought it, and out of all of them, the CoverCraft seem the most sturdiest of them all

Maybe it just needs to get warm because it's been cold for a while? You know . . . shrinkage. :D

Having used a Windshield Shade, I will never go back to not using on on all cars, even just parked for 30 minutes on a errand run, etc.
It's interesting that on mild spring days, full on overcast spring days, etc.......when you remove the shade, you can feel it's warm. And this is also with 50% ceramic tint on it as well.

Been thinking of ordering one, these days the vehicle feels like 150° when I get in to leave work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have always used Covercraft. They are not flimsy.

I've never seen one shrink before. Really strange. I have to admit I usually go for the lower priced ones you can roll up vs the more expensive, thicker ones your fold. That might be the difference.

I'm currently using a custom fit one from WeatherTech and in two years it fits just as tight as when I purchased it new. I think I had a lower priced Covercraft roll-up shade on a car more years ago and don't remember any issues with the fit changing over time.

I ended up buying a new one and its like the original when when brand new....nice and tight. I gotta conclude that -foam- can shrink .....

Came back to edit this thread with a update but I guess there is no edit option

Officially , the manuf. may state it doesn't shrink.....

I can definatively say it does. It was *guden tight* brand new out of the box week. I've used it about 3X with it sitting in full direct sunlight and in removing it / putting it back on, it has clearly shrunk back a smidge as it's not easier to slip in/out (no pun intended) vs a slightly oversized-fairly tight fit when it was brand new just 1 week ago

Based on this 1 week shrink, I could see how the original one with the gap it had....has a slow shrink over time !

Back