The Post a Picture of Your Ride as it Sits Thread

I love Irish Green as well.

British Racing Green for comparison....................

Brewstergreen.........................

All three of those are Paint-to-Sample colors, so clearly Posche put a high price on individuality, ie any color other than white-grey-silver-black.
Brewster is my favorite on the 911 but the other 2 are right there

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

My vote goes to Race Red...........................

Race red looks great in those. In my area, Mustang Country (30 minutes away from Dearborn), race red is probably the color I see the least of. Always warrants a head turn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fresh and clean for the upcoming 96 degree day
a2b72ca91a60df2b3773337e90818c35.jpg

Crisp winter air and my favorite road, the perfect combination for the XR8......................

This thing pulls so relentlessly that it can catch you out arriving at a corner faster than you thought, which in turn asks a lot more of the brakes as you stand the car on its nose. I also accidentally tagged the rev limiter today, again, its pulling so hard that it's easy to mistime an upshift. To Ford's credit, they programmed the ZF gearbox to hold a gear in manual mode without auto-upshifting at the red line or rev limiter. They also got the shift lever orientation correct, pull back for an upshift, push forward to downshift. In both regards, you can't say that about a lot of automatic gearboxes. I just wished they went a step further and programmed rev-match downshifts in manual mode.

Crisp winter air and my favorite road, the perfect combination for the XR8......................

This thing pulls so relentlessly that it can catch you out arriving at a corner faster than you thought, which in turn asks a lot more of the brakes as you stand the car on its nose. I also accidentally tagged the rev limiter today, again, its pulling so hard that it's easy to mistime an upshift. To Ford's credit, they programmed the ZF gearbox to hold a gear in manual mode without auto-upshifting at the red line or rev limiter. They also got the shift lever orientation correct, pull back for an upshift, push forward to downshift. In both regards, you can't say that about a lot of automatic gearboxes. I just wished they went a step further and programmed rev-match downshifts in manual mode.
The Qashqai has a CVT, but it has a manual mode, which is just a dumb idea, but I had to go and look to see which way it "shifts". Yeah it's forward for up a gear, and back for down, which is why I never used it that way, it feels wrong. Although the other day I was giving it a bit on an uphill country road and it imitated a normal auto all by itself, like it was going up through the gears, I hope I didn't break something.

I do like the shifter in the FJ, it's of the gated Toyota kind, but I especially like that I can change the knob very easily, anything with an M8 thread will fit

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

The Qashqai has a CVT, but it has a manual mode, which is just a dumb idea, but I had to go and look to see which way it "shifts". Yeah it's forward for up a gear, and back for down, which is why I never used it that way, it feels wrong. Although the other day I was giving it a bit on an uphill country road and it imitated a normal auto all by itself, like it was going up through the gears, I hope I didn't break something.

I do like the shifter in the FJ, it's of the gated Toyota kind, but I especially like that I can change the knob very easily, anything with an M8 thread will fit

CVT's have spread like the plague in the last decade, mostly Japanese vehicles. A CVT would be a deal breaker for me, and even though most have programmed steps above a certain throttle percentage, I just hate how they feel and sound. I rented a CVT Corolla in New Zealand, which was driven around on the amazing mountain roads, it just screamed its head off all the time and despite a competent chassis, the CVT really sucked the life out the drive. The funny thing is, CVT gearboxes suit the vast majority of drivers on the road.

I did a little experiment today, the first pic was taken plain, with some lite processing in the Photoshop app, the second was taken through my polarised brown tint sunglasses, with the same processing. It shows a major difference in the reflections on the side of the Qashqai. I may have to break out the DSLR and play around with my filters some more.
13cce93d3ec2a007f35a52c6d2dc70db.jpg
599ab881e092591cf6faeebde596fc17.jpg

I did a little experiment today, the first pic was taken plain, with some lite processing in the Photoshop app, the second was taken through my polarised brown tint sunglasses, with the same processing. It shows a major difference in the reflections on the side of the Qashqai. I may have to break out the DSLR and play around with my filters some more.
13cce93d3ec2a007f35a52c6d2dc70db.jpg
599ab881e092591cf6faeebde596fc17.jpg

The 2nd pic is probably what it looks more like inperson I bet. I mean they both look good but I like the 2nd one best. I use the AUTO setting on my phone for all my pics FWIW

The 2nd pic is probably what it looks more like inperson I bet. I mean they both look good but I like the 2nd one best. I use the AUTO setting on my phone for all my pics FWIW

It is close to what I see, if I'm out in the sun I have my sunglasses on, I already have enough UV damage. I have about 6 pairs of sunnies I cycle between, mostly Serengeti and Ray-Ban.

I also generally just use my phone in auto mode for most pics, but I find it annoying how much it distorts the image if you're too close.

Safely at Seward

The side still looks great

The front is a bug collectors dream

6fa4090f54b25df464f43f9e5462dfbc.jpg

Consider something like Griot's Bug Barricade?

I need to study more because the front has Expel and I’ll need something that’s going to play nicely with it

Thanks for the suggestion

I’ll start my research there

I can’t remember any specs of that, but mentioned cool crisp air I’m guessing forced induction. What kind of power numbers does it put out? Beautiful ride.

I can’t remember any specs of that, but mentioned cool crisp air I’m guessing forced induction. What kind of power numbers does it put out? Beautiful ride.

First of all, apologies for the coming post. I know I've covered this multiple times on this forum, but out of all my cars, the XR8 has the most "story" behind it.

Back in the late 2000's, Ford's Australian performance arm (FPV) was in need of a new engine to replace the old 5.4 quad cam V8 to meet new emission standards. Ford's upcoming Coyote V8 was yet to surface, but behind the scenes, FPV was working on a unique supercharged version of the new V8. In standard form, the high revving Coyote would not give FPV the performance upgrade they were looking for, especially in the heavy Falcon platform where torque was key.

For the new engine, FPV used the basic aluminum 5.0 Coyote block and cylinder heads. They then used the Mustang Boss 302-spec rotating assembly to handle the addition of unique Harrop supercharger. That supercharger was attached to a locally designed and manufactured aluminum intake manifold, and the engine exhaled through locally made headers. FPV also designed a large air intake system with an exposed conical air filter.

The engines were all hand assembled in Australia using imported (heads, block, rotating assembly) and locally made components (supercharger, exhaust, intake) on a small line production line. Later engines sported the engine builders initials engraved below the supercharger snout.

The result of this engine program arrived in mid-2010, almost a decade BEFORE the supercharged Predator V8 made its debut in Mustang GT500. The engines code name during development was "Miami", which has stuck around within the enthusiast community, but they were marketed under the BOSS branding. And this is where it gets a bit interesting, especially when you ask the power question..............

As you can imagine, a 5.0 V8 with a supercharger fitted is a formidable combo................too formidable. In testing, the engine was compromising other areas of the Falcon's body structure and chassis, the firewall in particular needed strengthening beyond a certain power level, in turn needing another set of crash tests. By this stage in the Falcon's lifecycle, investing in strengthened body structures and driveline upgrades was low on Ford's priority list. As such, FPV had to severely limit what the engines could do.

The first thing you notice is a lack of an intercooler, even though the intake manifold was designed for one. This also created heat management issues. Those two elements and the body/chassis concerns, FPV tuned the engines to stay within a defined power vs temperature range. From memory, on the BOSS 335 version, the throttle was programmed to only open up to 75%. The ECU was also programmed to limit power at higher temperatures.

So, the initial two versions of the Miami V8 were called the BOSS 315 and BOSS 335, both referencing the power level in kilowatts, which translates into 422 hp and 449 hp. Torque was set to 551 Nm (406 ft-lb) and 575 Nm (424 ft-lb). But, those numbers were the very LEAST the engine would make, car companies are not allowed to quote power figures that are not always available, hence the low figure. In the right conditions, say a cooler day with no heat soak, the BOSS 335 would over-boost to 375 kW (500 hp). This all came to light when owners were putting these cars on dyno's and getting those figures at the wheels! In the years that followed, Ford engineers gave a wink and nod as to what these engines could do.

Later versions called the BOSS 345 (463 hp) and BOSS 351 (470 hp) were more refined in how they power limited, in particular the separate boost levels for each gear. It's well known the BOSS 351 was beyond 410 kW (550 hp). For context, these were cars selling for $60,000 to $85,000.........................power levels unheard of for the price these days.

So, the short answer to the question for my FGX FalconXR8 with the BOSS 335 engine is 335 kW (449 hp) and 575 Nm (424 ft-lb), boosting to 500 hp when it's feeling fit.

On a cool day and no heat soak, the way this car accelerates is almost dizzying. Even though Ford fitted staggered tires on the XR8, traction is the limiting factor in lower gears, the stability control light strobing at the top of 3rd gear at go-to-jail speeds. My car has the 6-speed ZF auto, which brings a rudimentary launch control that uses the traction control to limit wheel spin. On warmer days, you can definitely feel the engine is being neutered, but its still a very fast car.

Along with the power, the other aspect of this engine that I love is its unique sound. Previous FPV's with the 5.4 V8 had the most delicious induction and exhaust note combination, so while they were relatively slow, they sounded amazing. Strapping a supercharger to the Coyote was always going to muffle the induction note, while adding that signature whine into the mix. The fix for that was the above-mentioned open-air filter arrangement, FPV also added a bi-model exhaust with quad tips. The result is a rorty intake and supercharger whine, mixed with a raspy snap-crackle-pop exhaust note. I especially love the whip-crack noise it makes on a full throttle upshift as the spark-cut kicks in. I even love the starter motor sound, which was designed to crank long so as to build oil pressure before firing off.

Plugging my own video here (stock exhaust)...................

Listen to that supercharger scream..................

Sorry about all that, as you can hopefully tell, I love this car for what it represents and how it makes me feel, the sound of that engine never gets old.

Back