Griots G9 stopped on me part way through polish :(

Icarus

Reaction score
Unfortunately my 2019 Griots G9 stopped working this past weekend. No warning, no noises, just stopped.
I wiggled the cord etc to no avail, unplugged it and plugged it back in, nothing... ;)

It's one of the first releases of it and have heard they had issues, but it has been working ok till now so figured I'd be fine.
I literally only used it less then a dozen times. So disappointing to see it do this. I did have heat issues with it to start with so perhaps related, but I don't know for sure.
I've emailed Griots, but shipping it across the border up here will be costly and a pita :(

I figure this will take weeks++ to sort out, so just finished the car with PNS. I don't know how to remove it once I go to finish it and it will probably be in the hot humid weather we get by then anyways. Still need to do the hood and passenger side :/

Check the brushes. My G21 goes out the same way from time to time and it’s the brushes. I have a spare set but I haven’t changed them yet because a good smack or 2 and it turns on again for the time being, but it’s the brushes. I know it is because I can sometimes see sparks coming from inside my polisher. Lol.

Your polisher should’ve came with a spare set of brushes. Hopefully you remember where you put them.

I’d suggest calling them on Tuesday, i always prefer phone calls for any kind of warranty conversation. Since yours is early they might just send you a cord to start.

Still not a word from Griots email, sent a few times now :(

call 1-800-345-5789 during normal business hours
monday - friday 6am - 4pm (PT)

Get the new Hercules forced rotation polisher from Harbor Freight. It's only $119 US.

I checked the brushes, no luck. Fiddled with the cord etc :(

Calling is hard when I work a lot, they should respond to their emails in a timely fashion (its been 2.5 weeks), it is after all a customer service email.

Still not a word from Griots email, sent a few times now :(

Yeah, from what I hear, you'll get better response by phone.

That's really odd. I had an issue with a bottle of BOSS polish a month ago. I received a response to an e-mail within 24 hours and a new bottle was in the mail the following day. Sorry to hear they aren't very responsive.

I checked the brushes, no luck. Fiddled with the cord etc :(

Calling is hard when I work a lot, they should respond to their emails in a timely fashion (its been 2.5 weeks), it is after all a customer service email.

Understood calling's not always convenient, but I'd still try to hit them during the business day.

I felt left hanging recently when I was emailing back and forth with my bank on a couple questions I had. All of a sudden they went radio silent. Got a reply days later that their system had routed my emails to their spam risk folder.

I contacted Griots again and they finally replied but said they never got the other emails even though it was literally the same email address, and they replied to them a while back when I asked about the unit getting hot *shrugs.* So hopefully they will take care of me now?...

I also contacted AutoObsessed whom I bought the unit from originally, and they were less then helpful insisting I pay for shipping BOTH ways (I can see paying for it to them, but not return on a warranty item! I'll just deal with Griots directly and shop elsewhere in the future.)

I don't know why it is so hard for places to have decent (not even great) email service anymore. Very disappointing and unprofessional when an email going to [email protected] isn't responded to for customer service and help/warranty!

I contacted both Griots again and they finally replied but said they never got the other emails even though it was literally the same email address, and they replied to them a while back when I asked about the unit getting hot *shrugs.* So hopefully they will take care of me now?...

I also contacted AutoObsessed whom I bought the unit from originally, and they were less then helpful insisting I pay for shipping BOTH ways (I can see paying for it to them, but not return on a warranty item! I'll just deal with Griots directly and shop elsewhere in the future.)

I don't know why it is so hard for places to have decent (not even great) email service anymore. Very disappointing and unprofessional when an email going to [email protected] isn't responded to for customer service and help/warranty!

At least you got some sort of response. Hopefully everything works out.

I completely understand your frustration, but now that Griot's has responded I'm sure you will get complete satisfaction.

Everybody raves about their service, hence why I bought the G9 in the first place. Griots was helpful when I contacted them about it getting hot in 2021... we talked about technique, pads etc etc which all seemed to be decent so I let it go as it did seem to get better I thought. I'm hoping this is just an issue being one of the first release models and I just ran into issues later then some with early ones?...

Thanks for the info and reassurance all.

PS: why do email notifications in THIS site STILL NOT WORK???!!!

Well... finally got it shipped off to Griots ($37.xx :( )
Lets see what happens :)

Oh, that was fast, to the USA and back in a hair over a week, nice, thank you Griots :)

Wish it didn't cost so much to send to them, but that is the joy of going across the border I guess... I also wish the delivery company didn't leave the return box on the porch IN THE POURING RAIN and not even knock on the door or ring bell when someone was home!!!

Pity temps here are in the high 35+*C and been above 40+ with the humidity recently :( I really need to find a garage somewhere to do some work now :)

Back