Collinite #845: The Definitive How-To Guide For This Legendary Wax

TL,
Thanks for the link. I hadn't visited Collinite's website in quite some time and I see now that it has been completely updated. There was an interesting common thread in all the Collinite product tech sheets; They recommend applying to a 2X2 or 3X3 ft area, depending on the product, and removing as soon as it starts to haze. Following this procedure may possibly eliminate some of the complaints often posted about Collinite's difficulty in removal.
If you're a Collinite user, or just curious, you'll find a trip to their site interesting.
Collinite Auto, Marine and Industrial Wax Products Official Site » Collinite

Bill

Hi Bill,

Most if not all of the complaints I hear are because the product was applied too think. This seems to be a very common complaint when applied manually with a foam or microfiber pad.

I always apply Collinite 845 with my Porter Cable 7424 dual action polisher and a soft Red foam pad. Applying the product in this way gives me superb control in applying the exact amount of product that guarantees me complete coverage and and easy removal.

Great write up Nick. I bought some Collinite 845 this summer so I can use it this fall due the bad winters in Michigan. This information you given will be very helpful. thanks for sharing.

Hey gang. Does AG carry that Meguiars self cleaning bottle? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks,
Rick

Great write up Nick. I bought some Collinite 845 this summer so I can use it this fall due the bad winters in Michigan. This information you given will be very helpful. thanks for sharing.

My pleasure. :props:

Hey gang. Does AG carry that Meguiars self cleaning bottle? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks,
Rick

They're on a temporary manufacturer back order right now. However, we should be receiving another shipment within the week.

Meguiars 16 oz. Self Cleaning Dispenser Bottle

Thanks Nick. I guess I'm search engine impaired.

Rick

Nothing wrong with your search engine, I had seen them before and was searching last night, no luck but did finally stumble upon them.

Thank you sir and just in time for me as this recently became my go to wax. Hope it lasts in the HOT Florida sun.
On new paint I was surprised how little was consumed and how easy it was to apply and remove.

2 bottles of Collinite 845 will be here next week. Can't wait.

I have been in a panic (not really, but close) the past month and a half because I

couldn't find my 845!!!! The last time I remembered having it was at a friends house

when he did a brake job for me. While he had the wheels off, I cleaned my rims front

and back, then protected them with my 845. Anyway, long story short, I found it

yesterday while looking underneath my workbench. It had gotten moved to the back
of the workbench:nomore:and had fallen off. I was relieved to find it!!! This is one wax I will be sure to keep upfront from now on!!!:dblthumb2:

Great write up, Nick, but dang, now I have another thing on my wish list! (That's after I use up the DP poly and max wax I just got).

Question. Does it water spot?

Did my first Collinite 845 today on a Jeep Grand Cherokee that had M21 on it. I followed the instructions. Out of the warm water it was a nice creamy liquid. It went on easy with a Flex, Megs G110v2 and FF pads. After letting it sit for half an hour, it wiped off easy.:xyxthumbs:

Great write up, Nick, but dang, now I have another thing on my wish list! (That's after I use up the DP poly and max wax I just got).

Question. Does it water spot?

Like any other wax or sealant, proper maintenance is key. :xyxthumbs:

Pulled this image from the Autopia forum. Other than heating up 845, is there some other way to thin it out so it can spray easily? Denatured Alcohol or Water?

Pulled this image from the Autopia forum. Other than heating up 845, is there some other way to thin it out so it can spray easily? Denatured Alcohol or Water?

I wouldn't recommend changing the chemical make-up of the product to aid in thinning it out so you can use it with a sprayer. Letting it sit in the sun or a bucket of warm water only takes a couple minutes and it's also the safest way. :dblthumb2:

Do you guys think it'll last through a drive thru car wash? Winters coming and I'm all about hand washing in the garage, but sometimes a drive thru is more convenient.

I used 845 this weekend and before using it, I let it sit in the sun. When I was ready to use it, it was like water. Every time I'd tilt the bottle, some would shoot out. Don't know how much I wasted but it sure was thin.

Saying that, I'm thinking about a small spray bottle, just be sure to let it sit in the sun to thin up before using and after using, clean out the straw and spray head.

I used 845 this weekend and before using it, I let it sit in the sun. When I was ready to use it, it was like water. Every time I'd tilt the bottle, some would shoot out. Don't know how much I wasted but it sure was thin.

Saying that, I'm thinking about a small spray bottle, just be sure to let it sit in the sun to thin up before using and after using, clean out the straw and spray head.
squeeze bottle or flip-top cap are alternative dispensing methods

Back