Hand Car Wash - $10

Flash Gordon

Reaction score
As I'm driving down the most prestigous street in town today, I notice a sign at a BP service station that reads "$10 Hand Car Washes"..... I'm like, Wtf is this....so I turn around and go into detective mode. Me and Trouble find a nice spot where we can observe their activity

When we first pull up we see 3 guys washing a brand spanking new white Rolls Royce. One guy is dragging a broom (RV Brush) across the paint, while another one rinses, the third guy has a mop bucket going around to each wheel spending about 4 seconds pr.wheel/tire. After they rinse, all 3 grab filty looking bath towels and start grinding away

As I'm leaving in frustration I see a 09/10 Aston Martin pull into the service station and head straight for the wash area. At this point, I'm so f'ing pissed, I pull onto the street with a heavy foot, I snatch 2nd gear rubber. Precisely at that very moment, one of Mphs finest pulls along side me

It looks as if someone is renting out the old Swirl-a-Matic that the station use to use. My question is how are they affording the rent on such a prestigous address, supplies and payroll of at least 3 ppl charging $10 pr car

End of nightmare

Flash

PS I am sure now, God hates me

Interesting.....could this be subsidized by Obama's stimulus package paid in part by American taxpayers? :eek: :eek::dunno:

I don't understand why someone with that kind of car is going to a $10 car wash in the first place. Don't they know that it's probably not the best wash to go to?

I don't understand why someone with that kind of car is going to a $10 car wash in the first place. Don't they know that it's probably not the best wash to go to?
They are everywhere down here in Tampa.Everyone and their brother is a "detailer".It makes me sick to see how busy they are and the lack of products they use.We had a customer with a BMW M5 that was a mess from the side street washes and even after quoting the job before hand and that was with a discount for doing his wifes Cadillac Escalade he was trying to low ball when he came to pick up the car.We spent more time than expected correcting the paint and a heck of a lot of leather conditioner on the interior since it had never been done in two years. After a little bit of arguing I was paid and told him to take his wifes ride to the $10 wash because I was not going to deal with him again.You name it I have seen it at those washes and the thought has run through my wife and my mind that maybe we should join in on the action, but not for no ten dollars...

Interesting.....could this be subsidized by Obama's stimulus package paid in part by American taxpayers? :eek: :eek::dunno:

Its a damn crying shame Bobby

I'll never understand this thought pattern either Maximus

They are everywhere down here in Tampa.Everyone and their brother is a "detailer".It makes me sick to see how busy they are and the lack of products they use.We had a customer with a BMW M5 that was a mess from the side street washes and even after quoting the job before hand and that was with a discount for doing his wifes Cadillac Escalade he was trying to low ball when he came to pick up the car.We spent more time than expected correcting the paint and a heck of a lot of leather conditioner on the interior since it had never been done in two years. After a little bit of arguing I was paid and told him to take his wifes ride to the $10 wash because I was not going to deal with him again.You name it I have seen it at those washes and the thought has run through my wife and my mind that maybe we should join in on the action, but not for no ten dollars...

Ill share with you my Bentley story from last year in a minute...I gotta go freekin lay down right now for a lil bit :(

still haven't told us your funny liquid glass story...

maybe that will make you feel better...

still haven't told us your funny liquid glass story...

maybe that will make you feel better...

You just made me chuckle...thank you

I will share that one too...guide me to the thread we were at

I know this must be SOOOOO Frustrating for you! Can't answer your question on how this operation affords its location, supplies, and employees salary....But like Bobby said, they have to be subsidized. Why, I don't know. Surely this operation isn't giving these guys a 'quality of life', living wage'.

What to do, what to do??

Situating yourself at the end-of-wash-area with your business card and advise at the ready, might be an eye opener for some of these high-end vehicle owners.

Gotta go now. My groupon coupon for a $5 discount towards a $10 hand wash expires shortly. (I'll say it for you...BOOOOOO; HISSSSSS) :)
Bob

I think the idea for most people is, "well, if there ain't any dirt on it, it don't need no cleaning." Most car owners do not see swirls, scratches, dents, oxidation, etc. like people that are into detailing. They just see a clean shiny car. "Why should I spend a hundred dollars for a "detail when the people down the road'll do the same job fur ten bucks?" Because they don't understand what the difference is.

When I conducted a business survey in my neighborhood, I found that a lot of people really don't care about maintaining the appearance of their vehicle. You probably would realize how many times I heard:
"Oh that thing pointing to a new, 0-3 year(s) old, $30,000+ vehicle) Yeah, it gets washed every time it rains!(laughs)."
They just don't understand what will happen to their investment!

As far as the stimulus, I thought that was for the Big banks, GM, Chrysler, Cowboy Poetry society and such things, not small business! Remember, the government doesn't like small business.:surrender:

Still not as bad as the kids camp fundraiser car wash I saw the other day.... offering a "hand wash" for $1

There were girls in bikini's offering a wash for charity the other day... it was hard but I resisted...

Haha....

Im throwing a Detail Day at a local O'Reily's Auto at the end of the month the day after on e of those charity car washes. I dont know why i find that funny, but hopefully people will be able to tell the difference between a detailers methodology and a car wash methodology.

Foam Lance FTW! Draws the crowds and gives me and opportunity to enlighten those that actually care about their investment and give me a few leads for some actual details

There were girls in bikini's offering a wash for charity the other day... it was hard but I resisted...

Reminds me of a story -
Several years ago one of the people I work with said they were doing a charity car wash and would I be willing to help.

We hooked up to one of the local grocery store water faucets (nice of them to let people do that for charity) and away we went. For the first few cars things were fine, then I noticed towels laying on the ground, towels being reused over and over again, toweling off of wheel wells and them immediately dragged across the hood/trunk, soap/water solution looking...well bad does not truly express how bad it was, etc., etc. :eek:

The upside was the money raised was used to support a no-kill animal shelter.

No animals were killed in the production of this car wash, not sure how many paint jobs were though.

Yes, that's why my saturn is in a poor neglected state and my bimmer is in excellent condition!!! The saturn is the sacrificial lamb for these kinds of moments. :props:

If it weren't for the stimulus package a lot of people wouldn't have jobs either. Can't make everyone happy!

Back