RANGER RAPTOR

PA DETAILER

Reaction score
Finally got my eyes on one yesterday. Had to stop at the grocery store. Pulled in and there it was. Driver was still there. We talked a bit. Very sharp looking truck! Nice stance and interior. He mentioned the power is great.

Designed and developed in Australia too!

Despite the near $100,000 price tag, the Ranger Raptor is quite a big seller here. The previous Raptor was powered by a feeble 2.0 Bi-Turbo diesel with 207 hp, not exactly Raptor-like performance. Still sold pretty well though. Thankfully, Ford listened to the critique and gave the new model an engine in keeping with the nameplate. The only problem, they sound terrible. I often hear them ripping onto the highway at work, the sound is so bad that it's completely obvious that its a Ranger Raptor. Loud, but not a nice tone at all. Does a decent burnout though..................

Our local Ford dealer has 4 just sitting in the Yard and have only seen two around town,
I think the Yanks get thd V8 Supercharged unit.

I personally think they are to big and a look at me statement (GR Toyota Hilux) just the right size.

Our local Ford dealer has 4 just sitting in the Yard and have only seen two around town,

I personally think they are to big and a look at me statement (GR Toyota Hilux) just the right size.
No V8's in Rangers here and the Raptor flavor gets the 3.0 Ecoboost V6.

I saw a YouTube Cleetus McFarland had one not many made i'm assuming
He did have the V6 but traded it in.

Ranger Raptor or F-150 Raptor?

Ranger Raptor (US and AUS spec) have the 3.0 TT V6 & 10-speed auto.

F-150 Raptor has the 3.5 TT V6 or now the 5.2 Supercharged V8, both with the 10-speed auto.

Ranger Raptor or F-150 Raptor?

Ranger Raptor (US and AUS spec) have the 3.0 TT V6 & 10-speed auto.

F-150 Raptor has the 3.5 TT V6 or now the 5.2 Supercharged V8, both with the 10-speed auto.

F-150 Raptor

I like the look of the GR Hilux, but it's underpowered, they needed to make more of a statement with the engine, like they did with the TRD Hilux back in 2008, remember it had the 4.0 V6 with the supercharger. Those things are still going for up near $30k for a good one.

I do like the new Ranger Raptor, there are a couple driving around my area, they seem to be more for show then work, I've never seen any of them dirty.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

I like the look of the GR Hilux, but it's underpowered, they needed to make more of a statement with the engine, like they did with the TRD Hilux back in 2008, remember it had the 4.0 V6 with the supercharger. Those things are still going for up near $30k for a good one.

I do like the new Ranger Raptor, there are a couple driving around my area, they seem to be more for show then work, I've never seen any of them dirty.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

Ford Australia managed to get a large allocation of Raptor's for the Australian market, it's not that popular elsewhere as other countries heavily tax vehicles based on CO2 emissions (the UK ect) or based on engine capacity (above 2.7 in Thailand for example). Because of that, a lot of dealers have them on the lot ready to go.

The GR Hilux kind of held its own against the Raptor when it had the 2.0 Bi-Turbo. By dipping into the wider Ford gene pool and using the 3.0 EcoBoost, they are basically in a class of their own with Raptor (in Australia at least). The only other competitors in terms of engine power would be the RAM 1500 (5.7 V8) and F-150 (3.5 EcoBoost), but they command a hefty price premium over the Raptor, and are naturally larger.

I also think putting the Powerstroke 3.0 V6 diesel in the Ranger was a masterstroke. All of the competitors are rattly, underpowered four-cylinder diesels, that V6 brings a shed load of refinement to the table, especially considering these things are basically the modern family car now. Having driven the 2.7-litre version of that engine, its vastly smoother and quieter than all of the 4-cylinder rivals. Even the power/torque delivery is smoother without that horrible all or nothing delivery, just a steady stream of torque.

The only other competitor to have a diesel V6 is the VW Amarok, which is now based on the Ford Ranger. (VW designed their own front and rear styling, but the vehicle was engineered in Australia by Ford for VW). Australia doesn't get the 2.3 EcoBoost engine that US-spec Ranger's get, but strangely, VW offer it in the Amarok. It will be interesting to see what the take rate for that engine is and whether Ford bring it here too. From what I have been told, the Powerstroke V6 is so popular that Ford are maxed out on making that engine, and again, most of that volume is for Australia.

Ford Australia managed to get a large allocation of Raptor's for the Australian market, it's not that popular elsewhere as other countries heavily tax vehicles based on CO2 emissions (the UK ect) or based on engine capacity (above 2.7 in Thailand for example). Because of that, a lot of dealers have them on the lot ready to go.

The GR Hilux kind of held its own against the Raptor when it had the 2.0 Bi-Turbo. By dipping into the wider Ford gene pool and using the 3.0 EcoBoost, they are basically in a class of their own with Raptor (in Australia at least). The only other competitors in terms of engine power would be the RAM 1500 (5.7 V8) and F-150 (3.5 EcoBoost), but they command a hefty price premium over the Raptor, and are naturally larger.

I also think putting the Powerstroke 3.0 V6 diesel in the Ranger was a masterstroke. All of the competitors are rattly, underpowered four-cylinder diesels, that V6 brings a shed load of refinement to the table, especially considering these things are basically the modern family car now. Having driven the 2.7-litre version of that engine, its vastly smoother and quieter than all of the 4-cylinder rivals. Even the power/torque delivery is smoother without that horrible all or nothing delivery, just a steady stream of torque.

The only other competitor to have a diesel V6 is the VW Amarok, which is now based on the Ford Ranger. (VW designed their own front and rear styling, but the vehicle was engineered in Australia by Ford for VW). Australia doesn't get the 2.3 EcoBoost engine that US-spec Ranger's get, but strangely, VW offer it in the Amarok. It will be interesting to see what the take rate for that engine is and whether Ford bring it here too. From what I have been told, the Powerstroke V6 is so popular that Ford are maxed out on making that engine, and again, most of that volume is for Australia.

My brother has a 2024 V6 Amarok and it's just not like his older V6 model that only VAG shared the engine with, The seats are a pain in the ass too deep and tight for my liking.

But the LED headlights and tech etc is crazy.

Back