Pictures: 2020 September 3-Day Detailing Bootcamp Class

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike Phillips
  • Start date Start date
I showed the class how to buff the hell out of that truck and it came out just as expected - Freaking Amazing!

I call detailing this category of vehicle,

Beater Detailing

This truck was BEAT. The class used rotary polishers and just laid into her. Around any paint that was lifting - of course you work carefully. Besides that - we pushed HARD on the polishers and carved off years of oxidized paint. The end results are nothing short of incredible.

As noted above - I'm doing laundry and filling out paper work, lots of paper work. Tomorrow I'm shooting a few videos and our LIVE Detailing Class. Friday, I have some cars to detail.

BUT sometime next week I should be able to get to the pictures showing the people in this class buffing out all the cars including the 1951 Chevy.

Like Jeff shown here CHOPPING on the rusty chrome grill using the UDOS in rotary mode....

ChoppingOnTheChromeGrill.JPG

:)
The transformation is nothing short of incredible!

In a spot like on the door where there was what looked to be a blistering rust spot, would you tape that off and not buff it at all, or would you just lightly go around it and hope none of the blistering peels off in a chunk?

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

The transformation is nothing short of incredible!

The owner was going to get the truck painted - not now.

In a spot like on the door where there was what looked to be a blistering rust spot, would you tape that off and not buff it at all, or would you just lightly go around it and hope none of the blistering peels off in a chunk?

One of the things I teach and stress in my detail classes is,

Don't do stupid stuff

So I told/taught the class to not buff on any areas of paint where it looks like if the edge of your buffing pad were to CATCH on "something" then don't buff ON IT - just buff around it. All you have to do is look at where the edge of your buffing pad is and slow-down and be careful.

Maybe you'll have the opportunity to take one of my classes some day. They are a lot of fun. There are ZERO other classes like this one.

The owner was going to get the truck painted - not now.

One of the things I teach and stress in my detail classes is,

Don't do stupid stuff

So I told/taught the class to not buff on any areas of paint where it looks like if the edge of your buffing pad were to CATCH on "something" then don't buff ON IT - just buff around it. All you have to do is look at where the edge of your buffing pad is and slow-down and be careful.

Maybe you'll have the opportunity to take one of my classes some day. They are a lot of fun. There are ZERO other classes like this one.

Would absolutely love to... Not sure my wife would consider it a very fun vacation tho! Hahaha

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

My answer was "yes". Then today, if you look above this post you'll see the buffing pads with green single stage paint on them. Below is how these exact same pads look after washing and drying.

Here's the same pads you see above with GREEN paint on them as they come out of the old school Agitator style washing machine. Impressive.

What detergent did you use on them ? Must be a whole lot better than what I am using (Griot's MF & Pad Cleaner) in my "old school agitator-style" machine.

Continued....

So here's what I posted yesterday about washing the OXIDIZED ALUMINUM out of the foam pads used on the 1968 Cadillac

In the meantime, next I'm washing the pads used to buff out the single stage GOLD paint on the 1968 Cadillac.

The paint is GOLD but the pads are turning BLACK?

What's going?

This is a single stage metallic paint finish and the black you see is oxidation on the aluminum flake. It's the same kind of oxidation you would see on some aluminum wheels. When you buff single stage metallic paint - it turns your pads black with oxidation.

Single_Stage_Green_012.JPG

Pile 'O Pads ready to wash

Single_Stage_Green_013.JPG

Single_Stage_Green_014.JPG

Single_Stage_Green_015.JPG

First mix your laundry soap so it can mix with the water. Then add your pads. Like I share in this article,

The OCD Method of Washing Microfiber Towels

Single_Stage_Green_016.JPG

Single_Stage_Green_017.JPG

This is the NEW RUPES DA Fine yellow foam polishing pad. This is the back side, just wanted to let you see it is in fact the new RUPES pad.

Single_Stage_Green_018.JPG

Here's side shot - you can see the black on the face of the pad and the clean yellow color on the side of the pad.

Single_Stage_Green_019.JPG

And here's the face of the pad - black with aluminum oxidation.

Single_Stage_Green_020.JPG

Going into the washing machine with all the rest of the blackened pads...

Single_Stage_Green_022.JPG

Single_Stage_Green_023.JPG

Single_Stage_Green_024.JPG

Mmmm.... yummy - 1968 Cadillac Single Stage Paint Soup

Single_Stage_Green_025.JPG

Hang tight....

Here's the pads coming out of the washing machine and into the clothes dryer and then placed back on the table like the BEFORE shot.

Remember - these were all BLACK before washing....

Single_Stage_Gold_001.JPG

NEW RUPES yellow polishing pad and Buff and Shine yellow Uro-Tech polishing pad

Single_Stage_Gold_002.JPG

Griot's Garage Orange Correcting Pad

Single_Stage_Gold_003.JPG

Single_Stage_Gold_004.JPG

NEW LC Power TOOLS UDOS Foam Cutting Pad - These are a dark army green to start with and it's completely clean.

Single_Stage_Gold_005.JPG

Single_Stage_Gold_006.JPG

Another NEW RUPES DA Yellow Fine Foam Polishing Pad - See pictures above for how I shared all three sides

Single_Stage_Gold_007.JPG

Single_Stage_Gold_008.JPG

Single_Stage_Gold_009.JPG

Into the clothes dryer...

Single_Stage_Gold_010.JPG

Coming out of the clothes dryer - Yes those are my feet.

I'm the Director of Training AND the Head of Laundry and Floor Cleaning. :laughing:

Single_Stage_Gold_011.JPG

And here's the pads used to buff out the 1968 Cadillac AFTER washing.

Single_Stage_Gold_012.JPG

Here's the BEFORE shot for super context....

Single_Stage_Green_014.JPG

And I normally use,

BLACKFIRE Microfiber Cleaner & Restorer 128 ounce or 1-gallon $49.99

I order 4 gallons at a time to keep up with all the pads and microfiber towels we use here at the Geekaroonie.

Back to paperwork.

:work:

Would absolutely love to... Not sure my wife would consider it a very fun vacation tho! Hahaha

Actually - we have husbands and wives attend and the husband that's not attending or the wife that's not attending does Tourist Stuff. Happens all the time. Happened in this class. I know Mike H. brought his wife.

What detergent did you use on them ? Must be a whole lot better than what I am using (Griot's MF & Pad Cleaner) in my "old school agitator-style" machine.

I normally use the BF Microfiber Detergent but to be honest - I'll use whatever is back there. Often times we have microfiber cleaning products, multiple brands, that are damaged when shipping to Autogeek or were somehow damaged when Autogeek shipped to end-customer and then returned.

I think as long as you use a quality brand it's the most you can do. The key is the technique I shared previously in my article here,

The OCD Method of Washing Microfiber Towels

BF_Micro_Detergent_009.JPG

NOW - LET THE AGITATOR MIX THE DETERGENT AND WATER TOGETHER FOR A UNIFORM SOAPY MIXTURE

BF_Micro_Detergent_003.JPG

Then add your laundry...

BF_Micro_Detergent_004.JPG

BF_Micro_Detergent_005.JPG

AND - wash as soon as possible. In a perfect world, you wash immediately while the pads are still WET with whatever product you're using and whatever paint or gel-coat is coming of the "thing" you're buffing.

Letting pads dry for days seems to just cement the ick into them and onto them.

Just what I've seen over the last 20 to 30 years detailing cars. FWIW

Continued....

Yancy was here on Friday and Saturday to take pictures, also on Sunday. So what you're looking at is the artistic style of Yancy Martinez to capture what our 3-day hands-on detailing class looks like with the best of my ability to pick the pictures that tell a story, crop and resize them and then add them to this thread.

These will be in order, (more or less), of the flow of the class starting Friday morning.

HandsOnDetailClass_0061.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0062.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0063.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0064.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0065.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0066.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0067.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0068.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0069.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0070.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0071.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0072.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0073.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0074.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0075.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0076.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0077.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0078.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0079.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0080.JPG

I'll add some words after I get all the pictures added for these first three cars the class detailed Friday morning.

More photo-documentation of people using tools working on cars - not sitting in chairs looking at a wall.

:laughing:

HandsOnDetailClass_0081.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0082.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0083.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0084.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0085.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0086.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0087.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0088.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0089.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0090.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0091.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0092.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0093.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0094.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0095.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0096.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0097.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0098.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0099.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0100.JPG

:buffing:

And more....

HandsOnDetailClass_0100.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0101.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0102.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0103.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0104.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0105.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0106.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0107.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0108.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0109.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0110.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0111.JPG

Final Results

And here's how the first THREE cars came out the first morning of the first day of class.

1987 Ferrari 328 GTS
HandsOnDetailClass_0001.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0002.JPG

2015 Alfa Romeo 4C

HandsOnDetailClass_0003.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0004.JPG

2016 Maserati Ghibli

HandsOnDetailClass_0005.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0006.JPG

Here's the class that did their magic!

HandsOnDetailClass_0000c.JPG

Here's Andre and Chris Metcalf joking around....

HandsOnDetailClass_0112.JPG

This first class session was on short stroke free spinning random orbital polishers with Buff & Shine Uro-Tec buffing pads and Dr. Beasley's NSP Primers and Nano-Resin Coating.

I'm happy to say using the above tools, pads and products - all three cars came out looking perfect.

:dblthumb2:

And more....

The next tool set I cover is RUPES. When I teach the RUPES class it's full-on RUPES. You use RUPES tools, pads and products. AND - you get to train on cool cars.

When is the last time you saw the owners of two cool classic Corvettes and a convertible Firebird let absolute strangers train on them?

HandsOnDetailClass_0113.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0114.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0115.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0116.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0117.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0118.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0119.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0120.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0121.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0122.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0123.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0124.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0125.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0126.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0127.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0128.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0129.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0130.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0131.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0132.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0133.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0134.JPG

And here's the final results.....

HandsOnDetailClass_0011.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0012.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0013.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0014.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0015.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0016.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0017.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0018.JPG

HandsOnDetailClass_0019.JPG

And the class that made the magic happen....

HandsOnDetailClass_0007.JPG

Nice work everyone!

I hope to see my face in one of these pics one day!!!

Hundreds of people have taken my 3-day car class, 2-day car class and boat classes.

Find just ONE person and ask them what they thought.

These cars turned out absolutely beautiful!

I have 11 more cars I'll be adding to this photo-documentation of what you get to do a Mike Phillips class. It takes time to process the pictures and then make them magically show up. My guess this is one of the reasons no one else creates a write-up like this. Heck most people don't know how to correctly put a picture on a forum now days let alone hundreds of them like you see in this thread.

And - don't forget this training car - I created a dedicated thread for it but I will be adding some of the actions shots to this thread.

1968 Cadillac Original Paint Detailing Class - September 2020

Remember, here's where we started...

800_1968_Cadillac_007.JPG

Zero Gloss - Zero Reflectivity

800_1968_Cadillac_008.JPG

Here's after the class...

800_1968_Cadillac_058.JPG

800_1968_Cadillac_059.JPG

800_1968_Cadillac_054.JPG

800_1968_Cadillac_055.JPG

800_1968_Cadillac_056.JPG

800_1968_Cadillac_057.JPG

Great write up (as usual) Mike!

More photo-documentation of people using tools working on cars - not sitting in chairs looking at a wall.

HandsOnDetailClass_0083.JPG

It is always easy to pick out 'Dr Beasley' out of a crowd of detailers - He is usually the best dressed! (Unless Ivan is there).

I cant believe how AMAZING that caddie turned out!!!

It did come out incredible. But - ALL the cars that go through any class I teach always come out incredible.

I cannot remember a single car in the last 30+ years that didn't look BETTER than the day it rolled out of the showroom or out of the paint booth.

I'm proud of my classes. I put a lot of work into them and I put a lot of ME into them.

They are the best in the industry.

"It ain't braggin' if you can back it up." -Dizzy Dean

:cheers:

Back