Pictures: Wetsand, Cut & Buff 1971 Fury Police Car!

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike Phillips
  • Start date Start date
M

Mike Phillips

Pictures: Wetsand, Cut & Buff 1971 Fury Police Car!

The Police Car came out absolutely astonishing!

First a huge thank you to all the guys that showed up to pick up where my class left off and take the paint all the way to completion... great job guys!

From left to right...

Me, Matt, Jim, (the owner), Paul, Tim, Robert, Den, Chris, Dan, Rob, Craig, John, Mike and Jeff...
1971_Plymouth_Fury_Police_001.jpg

And here's the beauty shots...

This car was machine sanded twice by the students in my May Detailing Boot Camp Class, once with #1500 and a second time with #3000 grit discs. The it was compounded and polished using Meguiar's M100 Pro Speed Compound and M205 Ultra Polish. My class did all this in about 5 hours and had the paint about 90% done.

Tonight, we re-compounded to ensure all the sanding marks were removed from the lowest portions of the body panels and around all the raised body lines that were taped off. After that we machine applied Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax.

A great Tag-Team effort by both my class and my core group of local car guys...

1971_Plymouth_Fury_Police_002.jpg

1971_Plymouth_Fury_Police_003.jpg

1971_Plymouth_Fury_Police_004.jpg

1971_Plymouth_Fury_Police_005.jpg

1971_Plymouth_Fury_Police_006.jpg

1971_Plymouth_Fury_Police_007.jpg

1971_Plymouth_Fury_Police_008.jpg

1971_Plymouth_Fury_Police_009.jpg

1971_Plymouth_Fury_Police_010.jpg

1971_Plymouth_Fury_Police_011.jpg

Ivan approves!

1971_Plymouth_Fury_Police_012.jpg

Before
Here's what the car looked like when it arrived... this is where we started from by machine sanding to remove the other guys tracers and holograms as well as orange peel...
1971_Plymouth_Fury_Police_013.jpg

1971_Plymouth_Fury_Police_014.jpg

1971_Plymouth_Fury_Police_015.jpg

And a special thank you to Jim for trusting Autogeek with his special project...

:dblthumb2:

Re: Sign-up: 1971 New York Police Car - Wetsand & Buff - May 9th

Mike, another good experience working on the car last night. I'm almost starting to think I know what I'm doing. The most helpful part as you know is watching the professional guys. So, see you next time. Thanks, Den

Here's a picture of a restored 1971 Plymouth Fury Patrol Car I found on the web. Jim only has a few more modification to make and his should look pretty much like this example...

1971_Plymouth_Fury_Police_016.jpg

:xyxthumbs:

Stupendous job, Mike and crew, right down to the rims!

nooo doctor noooo dont do this , you make me jealous :)

beautifully done :)

What an awesome outcome from paint blimishs on the hood to mirror finish, Jeff your a machine. Funny how life comes full circle from being on the wrong side of the police to helping them with two jobs now, never saw this one coming!

This is definitely one of my favorites. I had owned an old Plymouth.

Seeing it in person come back to life was awesome. It was great to work with some true professionals, I learned so much.
Thanks

That ride must have had some seriously thick paint on it to start with. Very very nice.

Stupendous job, Mike and crew, right down to the rims!

nooo doctor noooo dont do this , you make me jealous :)

beautifully done :)

Dang! Incredible work Gentlemen! Looks great.

Awesome job! I wish you guys were up in the NE.

What an awesome outcome from paint blimishs on the hood to mirror finish, Jeff your a machine. Funny how life comes full circle from being on the wrong side of the police to helping them with two jobs now, never saw this one coming!

Great job. Can I come play with the siren?

This is definitely one of my favorites. I had owned an old Plymouth.

Seeing it in person come back to life was awesome. It was great to work with some true professionals, I learned so much.
Thanks

That ride must have had some seriously thick paint on it to start with. Very very nice.

Must have... remember... absolute newbies to wetsanding, (except I had one "Painter" in the class), machine sanded this car TWICE before they started the compounding process and I'm happy to say that as far as I know of we never broke through the clear anywhere...

Another great job Mike & team ! Keep it on .

Too nice of a finish! :buffing::buffing:

Thanks for all the comments guys... it's overwhelmingly rewarding to watch a group of guys come together and take a project that's seemingly a lost cause and bring it not only back to life but ready to go on display at any car show event...

:dblthumb2:

Happy to say that I spoke to Jim last night and the blotches in the hood have not come back.:dblthumb2:

Matt sent me a few pictures now that it's complete...

1971_Plymouth_Fury_Wetsand_Project_01.jpg

1971_Plymouth_Fury_Wetsand_Project_02.jpg

1971_Plymouth_Fury_Wetsand_Project_03.jpg

1971_Plymouth_Fury_Wetsand_Project_04.jpg

Adam 12, see the man on the corner of 5th and Walnut street...

adam12code3_radio_car2.jpg

:D

Here's Matt and a colleague at a local car show with the 1971 Fury we sanded and buffed here...

Police_and_1971_Plymouth_Fury.jpg

Some of you know Matt from when he worked here at Autogeek, his forum nickname is Matt S.

Always good to have a buddy in the local police force...

:props:

Back