Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Glass Coating and CarPro Spotless Water Spot Remover

DBAILEY

Reaction score
I have had the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Glass Coating on all of the windows on my personal car since about Thanksgiving 2014.

The accumulation of water spots on the glass had gotten to the point that I couldn't take it anymore. Not wanting to polish the glass yet I tried using the CarPro Spotless Water Spot Remover.

It did a very good job of removing the water spots. However, the 3 windows I experimented on seems like the CarPro Spotless Water Spot Remover has completely removed the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Glass Coating.

It still had very good beading and high water contact angle prior to removing the water spots. Now the water sits there with barely any beading. I have cleaned the window several times with IG and Griots glass cleaner so the glass should be clean too.

Guess its time to repolish the other windows and reapply the coating already.

Not complaining about either product. This is just a FYI for anyone that uses these products.

You may have, but since the Carpro Water spot remover is designed to work with a coating, it should be okay.

I know that on paint, it is a good idea to wash back over the area with a product like Reset.

HUMP

Yes, I have washed the car and been in the rain since. I think it killed it.

Good thing you had a coating on there or the water spots wouldn't have been so easy to remove. :xyxthumbs:

I have had the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Glass Coating on all of the windows on my personal car since about Thanksgiving 2014.

The accumulation of water spots on the glass had gotten to the point that I couldn't take it anymore. Not wanting to polish the glass yet I tried using the CarPro Spotless Water Spot Remover.

DBailey I'm a little confused by the post but certainly interested in your issue. Are you saying that the coating creates beading, but the beads are creating water spots over time? If so, are you saying that the coating should be PREVENTING the water spots BECAUSE the windows are coated? I agree with Nick that the water spots were easier to remove because of the coating, I think I'm just confused by the post. I think expectation management comes to play here as water spots will form to that sacrificial coating (in my mind), but the big picture is the coating is there to prevent it from etching into the glass and creating even more of an issue.

I have two bottles of this product sitting on my shelf so I'm interested in what you're saying here...

DBailey I'm a little confused by the post but certainly interested in your issue. Are you saying that the coating creates beading, but the beads are creating water spots over time? If so, are you saying that the coating should be PREVENTING the water spots BECAUSE the windows are coated? I agree with Nick that the water spots were easier to remove because of the coating, I think I'm just confused by the post. I think expectation management comes to play here as water spots will form to that sacrificial coating (in my mind), but the big picture is the coating is there to prevent it from etching into the glass and creating even more of an issue.

I have two bottles of this product sitting on my shelf so I'm interested in what you're saying here...

I think the intent of this thread is to share his experience removing water spots from glass.

We learned 3 things from this thread:

1. Water spots are easily removed from coated windows/windshields.
2. CarPro Spotless works well.
3. For best performance it's best to re-apply your coating of choice after using a water spot remover.

:dblthumb2:

I think the intent of this thread is to share his experience removing water spots from glass.

We learned 3 things from this thread:

1. Water spots are easily removed from coated windows/windshields.
2. CarPro Spotless works well.
3. For best performance it's best to re-apply your coating of choice after using a water spot remover.

:dblthumb2:

Ahh, ok. When re-reading it from that perspective it makes sense now. I was initially concerned he was having issues with the PBL coating that I'm about to apply on my cars. Got it, thanks Nick :xyxthumbs:

Yeah, Nick caught the meaning of my post correctly. Unfortunately, so far my expectation management with every coating I have tried so far is to expect waterspots.

I think that waterspots are a real world problem for all these coating makers. I won't even put a coating a customer black car anymore unless it is a garage queen. I DID NOT have nearly any complaints about waterspots for nearly 9 years of using the polymer sealants and hybrids and since I have been pushing coating upgrades I am getting complaints. Carpro Spotless does work but what a pain in the ass and you'll almost always mar some panel doing it.

A 2 year durability is meaningless when you can't keep the waterspots under control. And saying that you just need to keep it topped is not realistic on a customer car, so don't even bother posting it.

I'm fascinated by this thread. I have been shopping coating for a little bit, and the more I keep looking, I keep liking the HD Nitro Seal. It seems idiot proof, claims about a year, and no crazy maintenance.

Did this jeep today with Pinnacle glass coating. I must say the glass looks mint. The customer said it looked fake when he picked up the vehicle. Like something from a magazine that was photoshopped.

I have experienced the water spot issue on my non topped CQUK on my black GMC Sierra.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So basically carpro spot less removed the pinnacle glass coating?

Does it mean pinnancle glass coating is not immune to carpro spotless?

So basically carpro spot less removed the pinnacle glass coating?

Does it mean pinnancle glass coating is not immune to carpro spotless?

I think you are missing the point...Coatings DONT stop water spots from occurring... Best way to simplify is to imagine a clear coat on top of the glass that is created by the coating...whatever would of happened to the glass is now happening on top of the coating INSTEAD OF the glass... By creating this barrier, it makes cleanup much easier as well as water beeding. My longest car that has the glass coating on it is a little over 100 days and it still works like the day it was put on. Hope that helps.

I think you are missing the point...Coatings DONT stop water spots from occurring... Best way to simplify is to imagine a clear coat on top of the glass that is created by the coating...whatever would of happened to the glass is now happening on top of the coating INSTEAD OF the glass... By creating this barrier, it makes cleanup much easier as well as water beeding. My longest car that has the glass coating on it is a little over 100 days and it still works like the day it was put on. Hope that helps.

I understand your point . My thinking was in a different direction . Spotless used on CQuartz does not remove the coating . Hence the conclusion that pinnacle coating is not immune to spotless.

Here are a couple of facts and a few thoughts

#1 Fact: CarPro Spotless is an acidic mineral deposit remover (off the top of my head I believe the pH is around 4)
#2 Fact: Acidic or alkaline based product will strip waxes and sealants (some easier than other) and extreme acidic and alkaline products (pH <2 or>12) will disrupt/kill coatings.
#3 Fact: Coatings do not "proof" against water spots but merely protects and retards the process (some better than others)
#4 Anecdotal: I've used spotless on a variety of coatings (OPT, CQuartz etc..) and on variety of surfaces (paint, glass etc..) and it does work as intended on "deposits" but not on the physical damage (etching)
#5 Anecdotal: I've used spotless on a variety of sealants and variety of surfaces (sealed paint, glass etc..) and it does work as intended but did kill the hydrophobicity, even after repeated washes to neutralize the product

I would love to speculate on why PBL would be susceptible to Spotless, but having no intimate knowledge of the chemistry behind the product everything suggested would be purely speculative and most likely detrimental to the product line. Nick's suggestion to reapply after using the Spotless seems logical especially if the Spotless kills PBL

In case the PBL coating is not immune against compositions such as spotless,it would be better if the same is mentioned in the product description so that customers are aware of what they use on coatings. Since there are so many coatings available in the market currently people take some of their resistance properties as common across coatings which does not look the case to be

Back