New PORTER-CABLE 7424XP from Amazon - Power switch problems?

MasterBlaster

Reaction score
Hi everyone... I ordered a new PORTER-CABLE 7424XP from Amazon last week. Got it in the mail Thursday and when I finally had a chance to test it out last night, I realized it had a major issue: the thing doesn't switch on very well...

What happens is that I'll plug it into a wall socket, slide the switch to the on position, but nothing happens. If I switch the thing on-and-off-and-on again a few times (like 3-6 times), it sometimes comes on but sometimes doesn't. It's really a flip of a coin as to whether it turns on or not.

The Amazon order indicates that it's eligible for returns until January 31st, so I'm hoping I can just get a refund for it and get a different brand polisher because it seems like this thing is a piece of junk. Being built in Mexico doesn't give one much confidence, either, though according to many, this isn't a major problem. Either way, I'm really ticked-off about this. The order cost about $120, so it's not like it broke a bank or anything but it was the 1 thing I was hoping to have by X-mas. Ugh...

Have any of you experienced this with this model? If so, what did you do about it? I'm afraid to get it "repaired" as that can not only cause refunding issues but also lead to temporary fixes to situations being repaired by people that don't normally know what they're even doing, especially in small towns or places that are supposed "licensed repair centers."

There is definitely something wrong with that unit. Send it back for a refund and buy a new one on Autogeek during one of their sales or a price match with free shipping.

Thanks, guys. That's what I was thinking, too. I'll return the thing first thing Monday. Hopefully I don't run into anymore headaches from all this.

Have you tried posting on the Amazon auto detailing forum?

Have you tried posting on the Amazon auto detailing forum?

Yeah, yer new but its kinda crappy to buy something that AG sells from somewhere else and then come use their free forum to get help with it. You probably didnt realize that being so new. Just think about that next time.

Do you think it would be better to post about this over there?

You dislike my post when I was trying to explain the sarcasm in the post from derass. THERE IS NO DETAILING FORUM AT AMAZON. Maybe now you get it? I tried to be nice. SMH

hi masterblaster, and :welcome: to AGO.
since you're new (judging by your posts) you probably didn't know (or were aware) the etiquette (or forum rules to add / Forum Rules ) on here which is understandable (many of us have been there). in regards to your concern about the pc7424xp, i would return it and get a refund. after that, i would highly recommend the GG6 (Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital) which can be bought here at AG. plenty of torque/power and the lifetime warranty is icing on the cake. it can handle most anything you throw at it. here's a list of items i would recommend to go with it as well. if you need anymore help, just reach out. also, below is a great article by Mike that is very informative. if you haven't read it, please do...

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher

Griots Garage 5 Inch Vented Orbital Backing Plate

Griots Garage 3 inch HD Backing Plate

Griots Garage 5.5 inch BOSS Foam and Microfiber Pads

Griots Garage 3 inch BOSS Foam and Microfiber Pads

OR (for pad selection)

Lake Country ThinPro Foam Pad System 3.5 Inch

Lake Country ThinPro Foam Pad System 5.5 Inch

MasterBlaster,

"Visitor" just gave you some million dollar advice. I would have given you the same advice, but he did it first, complete with links. Now get your butt in gear and order the new stuff from AG while you can get 25% off most or all of it.

With that shopping list you'll be a long time before you outgrow the purchase, if ever. And if the Griot's breaks down the road you'll still be covered.

You can justify the entire purchase by the money you will save doing your own detailing.

Welcome to the world of the obsessed!

I wouldn't sweat it too much.
By contacting Amazon, they'll put the ball in motion that they'll send you a return shipping label free of charge, pack it all back up best you can, and I believe it will be your choice of refund, or replacement.

Commonly, the PC7424XP is a pretty reliable solid unit.

Returning stuff from Amazon is the easiest thing you will ever do. They even have UPS come to your door to take the item from you. Doesn’t get any easier. AG uses Fedex and the support in my area is ZERO. I’ve got some stuff to return and I’m dreading it as I may have to drive 70 miles round trip. Be very thankful you used Amazon.

And so is it beginning?

I read a year or two ago that Black and Decker had purchased Porter Cable. My experience with B&D is they like to make/take a great reputation and ride it for profits as they trash the quality.

We'll see

And so is it beginning?

I read a year or two ago that Black and Decker had purchased Porter Cable. My experience with B&D is they like to make/take a great reputation and ride it for profits as they trash the quality.

We'll see

B&D does not have the greatest reputation, but it was Rockwell that did the most damage to the PC brand after they purchased it. Ironically they wanted to create a consumer brand to compete with B&D. They ran PC into the ground and eventually eliminated the PC name totally. PC was brought back to life when the name changed hands several times. It is now owned by B&D who produces nearly all the PC tools in Mexico and China. That does not make B&D part of an exclusive club!

B&D does not have the greatest reputation, but it was Rockwell that did the most damage to the PC brand after they purchased it. Ironically they wanted to create a consumer brand to compete with B&D. They ran PC into the ground and eventually eliminated the PC name totally. PC was brought back to life when the name changed hands several times. It is now owned by B&D who produces nearly all the PC tools in Mexico and China. That does not make B&D part of an exclusive club!

Rockwell has a tendency to do that with all companies that they purchase. They also nearly destroyed Baldor and Reliance motors along with Dodge gearboxes. They wanted to concentrate on their core business which is factory automation products.

All the more reason to go with the Griot's 6.

Yes, it is manufactured in China, but so is the iPhone. You get what you pay for.........

I'm looking at the box of the PC 7424xp (found a brand new one on Craigslist for $60.00!! Came with a brand new 5" Lake Country plate too!)

It says on the box that it comes with a 3 year limited warranty, 1 year free service, and 90 day money back guarantee. I'm assuming all of which are offered through Porter Cable.

I've had super good luck with mine.

One of the guys I work with regularly has used his in both production detailing, and in his own business. He got it in 2011, and I just replaced the brushes a few months ago.

I found a used 1st gen 7424 from 2006 for cheap on eBay, and it has become the first at bat for me. I replaced the cords couple months ago, so things that typically wear out with these tools are pretty easy to remedy. Amy of the switches I think I wouldn't personally have a problem repairing myself. And I'm no master mechanic.

Back