CG Leather Serum vs Conditioner?

joebrez

Reaction score
Does anyone know the difference between the two. The product descriptions read very similar...

Not much difference. The Leather Serum is nice - but it ain't no coating as advertised. I'm not really sure what it is. With CG's - we may never know.

Good, at least I can still read :). It's actually the part about the coating that made me nervous.
Leather itself has an inherent natural barrier, which as long as it's kept up with conditioners should last for a long long time.

Good, at least I can still read :). It's actually the part about the coating that made me nervous.
Leather itself has an inherent natural barrier, which as long as it's kept up with conditioners should last for a long long time.
•I never knew about that inherent natural barrier.

•It'll last even longer if you use "Protectors",
instead of "Conditioners".

Bob

The CG's Leather Serum is a nice product. It likely offers some protection, but it seems to me to be short lived. It's my favorite smelling leather product and leaves the seats silky smooth. I use it on top of a leather coating as needed. The product reminds me of Leather Master's Vital.

I would definitely use a protectant for a negligent user. I've done 20 year old leather seats that look great with only conditioners.
I think we can all agree that the quality of the leather has EVERYTHING to do with how the leather wears.

I know it's not exactly what's asked, but I liked the appeal on Leather Serum and tried to get it, but couldn't grab some. I was looking for improvement on leather conditioning I do.

That said, I went for the Mother's Leather Tech
Mothers Leather Cream Moisture-Rich Conditioner

I'm in love with it.

I use the CG leather cleaner which is very effective and can be diluted ~6:1 (very cost effective).

After that, Leather Tech is like 'applying wax on leather', work part by part and remove excess right on before moving to next section. A pleasure to work with, instant results and gratification. Use the provided applicator, a little goes a long way. Worth every cent.

It's a game changer on leather appearance and feel in my opinion. And soooo easy to apply.

If you can, give it a try.

Kind Regards.

I think we can all agree that the quality of the leather has EVERYTHING to do with how the leather wears.
I would rather not be included as one that agrees with your above, seemingly all-encompassing statement.

TO WIT:
What if it's "coated/protected" leather?

Then:
Wouldn't the quality (and maintenance) of this top-coating have everything to do with how the top-coating wears---not the underlying, (and thusly coated/protected), leather itself?

Bob

I would rather not be included as one that agrees with your above, seemingly all-encompassing statement.

TO WIT:
What if it's "coated/protected" leather?

Then:
Wouldn't the quality (and maintenance) of this top-coating have everything to do with how the top-coating wears---not the underlying, (and thusly coated/protected), leather itself?

Bob

Cheap leather is still cheap leather...

You can tell. The Leather in a early Hyundai is not as nice as say a Benz.

You can tell. The Leather in a early Hyundai is not as nice as say a Benz.
99.1% (or there about) of automotive cabin-leather is "coated" with some type/grade of a urethane.

Hard to tell the total outlay that an OEM spent, on this "type" of leather.

What about Pleather, MB-Tex, NuBuck, etc...
"Coated", or not?

Bob

I don't think leatherette would need to be coated since it's a man made material.

Leather is coated to preserve it.

I don't think leatherette would need to be coated since it's a man made material.
•IMHO:
-Maybe yes; maybe no.
-Depends on the OEMs' engineering specs for their vehicle models that are to receive this "type" of leather.

Leather is coated to preserve it.
^^^Kinda my point all along.^^^l
•So how can the "quality of the leather" be readily known if it's coated?

•OH Yea...I must not forget that:
Not all "types" of leathers are coated, though,

Bob, I hope you're f*cking with me!
^^^ :dunno: ..."full circle"? ^^^ :D :eek:

Bob

Wouldn't the leatherette be designed with a coating, so technically it's not a coating, it's just as designed :)

Wouldn't the leatherette be designed with a coating, so technically it's not a coating, it's just as designed :)
Using your above analogy, then;
The "real" leather, (that comprises the outermost component of my truck's auto-seats' total architectural-structure), although and by design: having been "coated for protection", is not really technically coated---it's just as designed.

Correct?

Bob

No, not at all. Leather is a natural surface that is protected for longevity. Leatherette is engineered to not need a coating or protectant for longevity. Huge difference.

Check out the maint requirements for a VW with leatherette, it's basically maintenance free. Their leather equipped cars are not.

I got the leather cleaner and conditioner........dislike the fact that it leaves a greasy feeling when someone sits on it.

Back