Looking to buy a Rotary. Question on constant speed maintainer function?

Buracho

Reaction score
Hey fello detailers:laughing: Its been a while since I've posted. Anyway, I'm in the market for a rotary polisher. I've noticed that only top tier polishers have the constant speed maintainer function. My question is for you experienced guys out there what is the real world difference with ones with this function and ones that dont have it? Is it a deal breaker? Thanks for the help in advance as always :laughing:

Are you speaking about the speed dial which is normally 1-6? If so, I wouldn't want to polish without it. Also a must have is a variable locking trigger.

If you are talking about the trigger lock, my advice would be: DO NOT buy a machine without one.

I do not use a rotary on vehicles, but I have hundreds and hundreds of hours of time on them in the marine industry.

Like Ron said above, trigger lock is a MUST have.

I think what he is referring to is the machine being able to maintain the speed setting when you apply a load to the machine. Say you set it for 900 RPM and you put a load on the machine it will maintain the 900 RPM setting. I could see this feature useful when grinding and pushing down on the material. I have never used a rotary for polishing but I don't think you would be applying the same amount of down force when polishing as you do when grinding that would slow it down enough to notice.

:iagree: Correct. I apologise if i wasn't clear enough. I'm talking about when polishing when you apply down ward pressure to the machine it doesn't bog down and the RPM remains constant. BTW547 Got it right.
So is it absolutely necessary to have this function in a rotary polisher or its just something high end polishers just have built in? Thanks guys.

:iagree: Correct. I apologise if i wasn't clear enough. I'm talking about when polishing when you apply down ward pressure to the machine it doesn't bog down and the RPM remains constant. BTW547 Got it right.
So is it absolutely necessary to have this function in a rotary polisher or its just something high end polishers just have built in? Thanks guys.
Aren't all rotaries gear driven and thus does not have the ability to slow down with a load? A clutch would accomplish this, but I don't know of any rotaries that have this and if even needed.

Aren't all rotaries gear driven and thus does not have the ability to slow down with a load?

Of course you can slow the motor down under load. Here's something I copied from the Flex PE-14 specs: "No-load speed: 380-2100 rpm". If the load didn't affect the speed, it would just say "speed"

Of course you can slow the motor down under load. Here's something I copied from the Flex PE-14 specs: "No-load speed: 380-2100 rpm". If the load didn't affect the speed, it would just say "speed"

Aren't all speed settings based on "no load"?

I don't know where you're going with this, if you load a motor up, it slows down. When you say it's "gear driven so it doesn't have the ability to slow down", that's like saying if you have a manual trans car and you step on the brakes the engine won't stall.

Yes so Makita and Dewalt rotary machines state that in their product descriptions. Each manufacturer has a different name for it. Makita calls it constant speed control and Dewalt calls it "Electronic module maintains specified speed under load" so its definitely a phenomenon. But my question here remains, is it a mandatory function for paint correction?

I guess it depends on what you are doing, etc. If you are just a hobbyist, and you don't want to spend top dollar for a machine that isn't going to get a lot of use, then don't. If you are a pro or a budding pro, you might want to spend the money for the best machine you can afford. I would agree with one of the previous comments that car polishing doesn't generally require as much power as some other rotary activities. Might be a different story if you are compounding gelcoat on the side of a boat as previously mentioned.

Back