RUPES Mille Review by 2black1s

Hi - looking for some Mille advice.

Does the new line of DA course / fine pads and polishes superseed the Mille specific pads and compounds from a couple of years ago?

Have you considered the Uno Protect for the AOI steps?

Is the Mille capable of performing one step processes on the average auto-car wash damaged paint whilst still returning a finish on par with its DA counterpart?

Thanks.

Does the new line of DA course / fine pads and polishes superseed the Mille specific pads and compounds from a couple of years ago?

Yes. The Mille specific products and pads have been discontinued. I think there's a RUPES video that explains this in detail.

I've only used it once and the car in question only had light defects - but it worked perfect. See my review here,

Review: RUPES UNO PROTECT - AIO or All-in-One with Synthetic Protection

The Mille capable of performing one step processes on the average auto-car wash damaged paint whilst still returning a finish on par with its DA counterpart?

Thanks.

Yes with the exception of "some" cars with soft paint. Gear-driven orbital is more aggressive than free spinning orbital. Sometimes on soft paint, a free spinning orbital, all other factors kept the same, will finish out nicer.

This is where experience comes in handy.

Because this is your FIRST post to this forum,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

And I'm sure John aka 2black1s will chime in with his thoughts...

:cheers:

Because this is your FIRST post to this forum,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Thank you and hello!

I usually lurk over on detailing world but after watching some of your longer youtube videos whilst locked down in the UK I thought I would join up here!

I have a bulky old rotary and a lhr75e mini DA copy and have been looking at maybe adding the Mille to the mix so all the info provided by yourself and this thread has been very interesting.

Is the Mille capable of performing one step processes on the average auto-car wash damaged paint whilst still returning a finish on par with its DA counterpart?

Thanks.

I have nothing to add to Mike's response except that I have not used the Uno Protect AIO.

As for pads, I haven't determined my favorites yet but you can read my pad experiences up to this point-in-time in my previous posts.

Built a bracket to add the Rupes Mille to the wall rack that holds my polishers...

View attachment 72651 View attachment 72652 View attachment 72654 View attachment 72653

This weekend I'll be putting the Mille to work on an AIO project. I'll post some comments once completed.

This is awesome! In the process of building a home with my fiance (soon to be wife in June). Will def take this idea to the father in law who is quite handy with wood crafts. This would be perfect for my soon to be detailing garage.... :)

Navigated over to your article. It was on the Rupes blue wool pad. Did I miss something?

Was hoping to get some insight on how to control the product slinging, other than low speed.

Navigated over to your article. It was on the Rupes blue wool pad. Did I miss something?

Is this directed at John aka 2black2s? Or me?

From what thread did you navigate to here from? Can you copy and paste the link?

Was hoping to get some insight on how to control the product slinging, other than low speed.

I hate to assume, (see above comments), but assuming you mean the RUPES blue wool pad on the RUPES Mille?

When starting out, place the product on the inside area of the face of the pad. Spread out over the area you're going to work and then bring your speed up.

The only RUPES pad I notice product sling is their blue foam cutting pads?

:)

Ha ha no worries. I forgot to hit the "quote" button.

Mike Phillips recommended foam pads for the FLEX Family of BEAST 8mm Gear-Driven Orbital Polishers

Yes I was looking for (in that article) info on blue foam but got blue wool.

Now I understand. :cheers:

To date, I'm not a user of the NEW RUPES coarse blue foam CP pads. The pads I show here,

Review: RUPES NEW Contour Profile DA Foam Pads

Profile_Countour_001C.JPG

I love the yellow and white foam pads. I just find the "new" blue foam cutting pads are just a tick too hard and tend to sling splatter. I must admit that I have not spend enough time using these new RUPES blue foam pads with the RUPES DA Compound and this could change everything.

Currently, if I need good cutting power - I use these from RUPES.

7 inch RUPES Coarse Wool Polishing Pad

RUPES_COARSE_Wool_Polishing_001.JPG

RUPES_COARSE_Wool_Polishing_002.JPG

Here's the links to get them on the AG Store

7 inch RUPES Coarse Wool Polishing Pad

:)

Ah, thanks.

I have all of the above and I, too, like the yellow and white ones.

These are SUPA pads!

I'll have to figure out a way to incorporate the blue, since I'm stuck with it now...

:laughing:

My confidence is so high in the RUPES TEAM of people and the quality of all their products PLUS the time and hard work they as a team invest into doing all the right research into developing new products that I know this pad works. It's just likely just a matter of using it the way it was intended to be used and that's with the compound RUPES intentionally formulated for it.

My bad for not spending more time with the RUPES DA Course Compound and this pad with their tools. I'll have to revisit.

I did like their original coarse blue foam pads. I know a lot of people didn't like them for the same characteristic this pad exhibits and that is it tends to sling splatter dots when buffing with it. It's like the pad doesn't hold the product in well against the paint? I do tend to overuse product, so that could be part of the problem. If I get around to re-testing with their dedicated compound and the new blue CP pad I'll share my results.

Like I've posted in other places, I have not given up on this pad, I just need to invest more time behind it.

:buffing:

For the times that I will be using the Rupes pads here's a quick and easy way to center the pad without any wasted effort or time eyeballing the pad into place. A simple yet effective guide pin...

View attachment 72603 View attachment 72604 View attachment 72605 View attachment 72606

View attachment 72607 View attachment 72608

My guide pin is a 3/4" wooden dowel with a couple coats of urethane to smooth and seal the wood fibers. It could be made of any material but this is what I had on hand. A nylon dowel would be the perfect material but I didn't have any of that laying around.

You could also try a deep-well socket in the 9/16s or 14mm range to use as the guide. Then you don't have to make anything.
Autogeek also sells a pad centering post, though not as ingenuitive as your idea. I got one with my rotary polisher when I purchased it, and I use it all the time! It's a very useful tool.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

I never got in the groove with the blue pad either. The only time I really put them through there paces was on a friends boat and they felt much better on gelcoat.

Rupes has a video on how to prime with and apply polish to the blue, as well as how to warm it up. Once I did that, I had no more problems. The new one is nice - smaller foam cells. I used it the other day on a Duetto to correct some of the lower quarter panels on my vehicle before ceramic application and the results were amazing. I stuck to the Rupes "system" for that one - blue and blue, yellow and yellow, etc...

Going forward, I'll be paying attention to how much of this disturbance is attributable to the product and how much is attributable to the gear-driven nature of the Mille.

Their website actually states that you should expect more vibration as compared to an RO due to the gear-driven of the machine.

If I get around to re-testing with their dedicated compound and the new blue CP pad I'll share my results.

Please do! I'm enjoying mine so far, paired with a Duetto.

I'm all ears if you're going to do a re-test!

Their website actually states that you should expect more vibration as compared to an RO due to the gear-driven of the machine.

I wasn't referring to vibration... I was referring primarily to the "sticky" nature of the product I was using.

I wasn't referring to vibration... I was referring primarily to the "sticky" nature of the product I was using.

I have used mine on probably 40 vehicles now and experience zero grabbing no matter the pad like when I first started out and we talked about a bit earlier in this thread.

It actually flows very nice, just a slight learning curve in the beginning.

I'm using the Supa Beast myself and really am loving the force rotation..... How are you liking the force rotation and the Rupes Mille?

I have used mine on probably 40 vehicles now and experience zero grabbing no matter the pad like when I first started out and we talked about a bit earlier in this thread.

It actually flows very nice, just a slight learning curve in the beginning.

I'm using the Supa Beast myself and really am loving the force rotation..... How are you liking the force rotation and the Rupes Mille?

I haven't had another opportunity to use the Mille yet.

In late April I had a hernia surgery that put me out of commission for a bit. Then I went on a cross-country motorcycle trip in June. Since, the only polishing I've done has been motorcycles using my 3-inch Griot's Rotary and DA polishers.

Here's a link to a thread documenting the detailing of my bike when I returned from the road trip... https://www.autogeekonline.net/foru...-road-trip.html?highlight=after+the+road+trip

Hopefully the Mille's next usage will occur in the next few weeks.

Back