Removing double-sided tape

DetailKitty

Reaction score
Well there were these crappy, plastic guards on the bottom of the Jeep door sills.
Pulled those off, but now there is all the double-sided tape left.

First attempt to remove it has not gone well…
Plastic flat blade doesn’t really work, and using my finger nails doesn’t either… already broke 2 nails.

Any advice would be appreciated.

GooGone from drug store…let it soak in for 30-45 min-works perfectly….Keep it wet every 10 min with an eyedropper

After you get it all off, re-wash and wax the area.

GooGone from drug store…let it soak in for 30-45 min-works perfectly….Keep it wet every 10 min with an eyedropper

After you get it all off, re-wash and wax the area.

Yup, got the Goo Gone.
I managed to get the off… man that one one of the toughest of those jobs I’ve had to date.
GEEZ!

Thx for the response :xyxthumbs:

The 3m adhesive remover wheel works great on the tough stuff along with their adhesive remover.

When you say, "plastic flat blade", what exactly are you using?

I've found a plastic razor blade is really good for removing the majority of the foamy, sticky material, and I then resort to the products mentioned above by others for "phase 2" of the removal.

3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover.

Done. Call it a day.

Sit back with a nice bourbon, and enjoy the dogs and hubby with the free time that would have been spent. :)

When you say, "plastic flat blade", what exactly are you using?

I've found a plastic razor blade is really good for removing the majority of the foamy, sticky material, and I then resort to the products mentioned above by others for "phase 2" of the removal.

Yes, it was a plastic razor blade... this time it didn't work worth a crap.

Done. Call it a day.

Sit back with a nice bourbon, and enjoy the dogs and hubby with the free time that would have been spent. :)

Definitely going to have to invest in this stuff.
Was a tough little job. GEEZ!

Done. Call it a day.

I'm with Paul.

At work, when I'm removing wheel weight tape residue, I'll:
Get a rag wet with adhesive remover, then apply it over the offending residue and allow it to soak it in. This will have softened up the bulk of the tape/foam, so it's much easier to physically scrape off. Then a pass with another rag soaked in adhesive remover (some scrubbing likely required) and you're good to go.

Just talking about wheel weight goo removal - For 90% of our wheels we do, the brake cleaner we have on hand works perfectly and has no ill effect on wheel paint. But it's not an over the shelf product, so I wouldn't go recommending brake cleaners I haven't used personally. Those other 10% are wheels where your spidey-senses say "let's play it safe" and you go the 3M route out the gate. :) For anything on a painted surface, it's 3M for me.

I can't believe Mineral Spirits has not been mentioned to this point.

I use Mineral Spirits for multitudes of off-label uses and the residues discussed here are one of those uses.

Mineral Spirits is one of the most versatile, cost-effective, and safe solvents out there.

The professional strength Goo Gone in the aerosol can is AWESOME.

But you have to be careful.

One of our summer help used it on a new Lambo Hurrican, and messed up the paint. I was able to fix it, but we learned an important lesson. I use ONR 256:1 in a trigger bottle to remove the residue.

I can't believe Mineral Spirits has not been mentioned to this point.

I use Mineral Spirits for multitudes of off-label uses and the residues discussed here are one of those uses.

Mineral Spirits is one of the most versatile, cost-effective, and safe solvents out there.

Agreed, John.

But in my 30 years in the marine industry, there were plenty of times where I tried mineral spirits, acetone, goo-gone, and the like with no success.

Then, the 3M GPAR stepped in and did the job. I don't know what's in that stuff, but it just plain works where others do not.

Back