ONR: The Definitive Thread

ONR is some great stuff, I have used it on some of the nastiest cars I have ever worked on and it has never let me down. On top of this, it cuts down on work time as well since you can wash and dry quickly. It also makes one of the best QDs in terms of cleaning ability.

ONR RULEZ!

This is my only gripe with Optimum No-Rinse. There is no good way to clean the fender wells, especially if there is not enough room to get a brush up in the fender wells.

For this I use terry cloth rags at the end of the wash... I spray QD strength ONR on wheel and well... and wipe with the rags... I am much less afraid of damaging and will scrub the well if needed with the rag... I also will use other cleaners like tar/bug remover, APC's and degreasers then go over with ONR as a final wash if needed. I usually clean/polish wheels as a separate step if they are really bad.

Chris

Since this is an ONR thread, i decided to just seek for your experience with the product here as well.

ONR as a QD

how would you guys rate the ONR as a QD? Does it really assist in the longevity of a wax/sealant on succeeding washes after the wax/sealant has fully cured? How would you rate its performance in 1-10? Thanks!!!

Sorry for a lot of questions lately on the forum, it's my first time to try a lot of specialty products, i just settled for OTC stuff before i ordered the XP.

One of my favorite combos is to use ONR as a wash and spray on Duragloss Aquawax during the drying process. Great wash and wax in minimal time.

Revised thread location
Alternate Method w/Presoak (Thanks SUPERBEE364 and EXCELDETAIL)
1. Spray down each panel with QD strength ONR. (pump type garden sprayer)
2. Wipe each panel down gently with a dripping wet MF from the ONR bucket.
3. Rinse and squeeze out the MF, get it dripping wet again, and redo the same panel.
4. Dry the panel with a clean MF followed by a second MF
(Sup prefers to use distilled water exclusively, too.)
No Rinse Guide With Pics by:Excel Detail

Well, decided to order some ONR. Have high expectations after reading this thread lol Looked on amazon, then on the AG site. AG has a deal right now if anyone hasn't noticed. 2 32oz bottles for the price of one.

...The polymers in No Rinse have reactive groups that bond and trap dirt particles making the dirt particles virtually non-abrasive. They also bond to oily particles and emulsify them into water...

That later statement interests me. There is no arguing how well ONR cleans, and I've used it a number of times with great success. Maybe its just me, though but it seems that after only a couple of washes my wax had lost its luster and smoothness. Has anybody else noticed this? Maybe its my wash media, or something else, but all I know is if I wanted to sacrifice my wax that quickly I'd be just as well off to go through a pray'n'spray wash or the like.

I'm not trying to troll, just looking for a effective and safe way to maintain a clean car during winter months without a garage to wash in. Thanks for any advice!

HGmCZj-vdXk
http://youtu.be/HGmCZj-vdXk

That later statement interests me. There is no arguing how well ONR cleans, and I've used it a number of times with great success. Maybe its just me, though but it seems that after only a couple of washes my wax had lost its luster and smoothness. Has anybody else noticed this? Maybe its my wash media, or something else, but all I know is if I wanted to sacrifice my wax that quickly I'd be just as well off to go through a pray'n'spray wash or the like.

I'm not trying to troll, just looking for a effective and safe way to maintain a clean car during winter months without a garage to wash in. Thanks for any advice!

Switch to Pinnacle Rinseless or Duragloss Rinseless. Either is better than ONR.

Looks like scratch city with his technique. Better off not touching the paint before rinsing the sponge after each pass.

The guy that posted that video helped design the sponge. He is practically the rinseless guru to professional detailer`s. He operates many detail shops in Canada and they are only rinseless.

Chris; Thank you for the information. I always use ONR to clean the car. I think it is a great product and when bought by the gallon is very cost effective. Thank you for answering the question about a dirtier wash media. This has been bothering me. I do what you suggest I soak it in MF detergent and then wash it. It releases so much dirt when soaking I was beginning to think I wasn't cleaning it good enough before using it.

The guy that posted that video helped design the sponge. He is practically the rinseless guru to professional detailer`s. He operates many detail shops in Canada and they are only rinseless.

Re-swiping before rinsing is a recipe for streaks, right?

^exactly, he doesn't rinse the sponge, unless you consider the re-dunk and squeeze as the rinse.

Not to dis the man that made the video or ONR, but I thought the same thing as expdetailing about not flipping and not rinsing(the sponge).

Also thought the same thing when I watched the CB method video. First thought there was "wow, that must be a pretty clean car for him not to be flipping to a new side of the towel much."

Does ONR really do such a great job of encapsulating dirt and providing slickness that it makes it less necessary?

I'm typically afraid to make one full swipe on a panel with out flipping but I use traditional surfactant car wash soap. I have not tried any rinseless or waterless washes though.

^exactly, he doesn't rinse the sponge, unless you consider the re-dunk and squeeze as the rinse.

Not to dis the man that made the video or ONR, but I thought the same thing as expdetailing about not flipping and not rinsing(the sponge).

Also thought the same thing when I watched the CB method video. First thought there was "wow, that must be a pretty clean car for him not to be flipping to a new side of the towel much."

Does ONR really do such a great job of encapsulating dirt and providing slickness that it makes it less necessary?

I'm typically afraid to make one full swipe on a panel with out flipping but I use traditional surfactant car wash soap. I have not tried any rinseless or waterless washes though.

yeah man. exactly as Yvan did it in that vid is exactly what you can do with the sponge and ONR.

it makes people really uncomfortable. they will tell you no way. they will make up all kinds of ancillary things you need to do in order to do it "right". i've had people tell me that rinseless will, without a doubt, instill damage and that's all there is to it...and thus, don't do it. interestingly, i'm not sure how many of them have actually done rinseless in the first place to even know!!!

while a lot of that extraneous stuff can't necessarily hurt, it's just flat out unnecessary with the technology. will things happen? are certain paints susceptible? yes, of course. nothing is perfect. but it's a tried and true process and because it runs in the face of what we are used to, SO many people still can't believe that if you follow the directions on the bottle as prescribed, it will work as it says.

inb4 Kyle says "a few drops per panel" hahaha

Back