Wetsanding Project - 1929 Ford Model A Sedan Delivery Streetrod

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike Phillips
  • Start date Start date

Those taking part in this project will have a chance to use the NEW FLEX Cordless rotary polisher and orbital polisher....

More pictures here,

NEW Cordless FLEX Tools at Autogeek Rotary and Orbital Polishers

Cordless_FLEX_Tools_0001.JPG

:)

Hey Mike, it's with a heavy heart that I'm not going to be able to make it this time around. Family member passed away...double whammy, unfortunately. Both sadden me. :(

Though, I'll keep my spirits high in that I sure hope there is a next time. :)

MC.

Hey Mike, it's with a heavy heart that I'm not going to be able to make it this time around. Family member passed away...double whammy, unfortunately. Both sadden me. :(

Sorry to hear of your loss...

There will be more classes and projects here at Autogeek in 2018 and as is my norm, I always post everything to this forum and my Facebook page.

I hope I can make it! Can you put me down as a maybe? I have a "maybe" detail penciled in for Saturday, but if the customers schedule doesn't line up I'd love to join the fun.

P.s. Have you tried Paqui Ghost Pepper chips? If not I'll bring along a sample :)

I hope I can make it! Can you put me down as a maybe? I have a "maybe" detail penciled in for Saturday, but if the customers schedule doesn't line up I'd love to join the fun.

You bet Ray.

P.s. Have you tried Paqui Ghost Pepper chips?

If not I'll bring along a sample :)

Have not tried or even heard of these.... sound yummy!

...P.s. Have you tried Paqui Ghost Pepper chips?

I've tried them Ray and man are they HOT!!!

My niece gave them to me (kind of as a joke) since my nickname is "Paqui".

Make sure you have some water nearby. You can feel them burn all the way down your throat!

Will wet sand for food

I'll see if Mike (the owner), will spring for La Forchetta Gourmet Pizza

:hungry:

***Bump***

The car will be arriving on Friday, that's tomorrow.

When it arrives I will take some fresh pictures and share them in this thread.

I've tried them Ray and man are they HOT!!!

My niece gave them to me (kind of as a joke) since my nickname is "Paqui".

Make sure you have some water nearby. You can feel them burn all the way down your throat!

That's right you are Paqui! Lol I'm addicted to these chips.I like them because I just take tiny nibbles and only end up eating a few chips at a time before my mouth is on fire.

I trained the kids to call it "sweet cherry chips". So when a guest comes over they ask them if they want to try a "sweet cherry chip. They got my mother-in-law....proudest moment of my life. :)

***Update***

Our wetsanding project has arrived....

1929_Pan_Dev_0101.JPG

1929_Pan_Dev_011.JPG

We start at 9:00am tomorrow...

Another cool car to work on. Mike, you always bring the good stuff (cars)!

PLEASE take good pics showing how you work them curves on the front fenders (and rears).

Another cool car to work on. Mike, you always bring the good stuff (cars)!

It all comes down to relationships and earning other people's trust.

PLEASE take good pics showing how you work them curves on the front fenders (and rears).

For sure.

Elliot our SMG will be here until noon to take some FB Live videos so maybe we'll be working the fenders while here's here. And of course, I will take some pictures too...

***Update***

Here's a few BEFORE pictures of this cool streetrod....

1929_Pan_Dev_020.JPG

1929_Pan_Dev_021.JPG

1929_Pan_Dev_022.JPG

Later after Mike the owner finishes assembling the car inside and out, we'll have it back, park it in the same place and take the after pictures. Probably be sometime in January as he still needs to put the interior in.

The tip or lesson to everyone reading this... when working on epic projects....

Take great before pictures!

You can never go back in time and get the before shots after all the work is over. That is unless Sheldon Cooper, Leonard Hofstadter, Rajesh Koothrappali and Howard Wolowitz will let you borrow their time machine.

time-machine.jpg

Probably faster and easier just to take pictures...

But that's not all!...

Moved the Model A into the garage and took a few pictures to show the orange peel. If you're new to wet sanding, that's okay - we were all new at one time. While most people gravitate towards swirl finder lights to look for swirls - for orange peel what works GREAT is normal florescent lights.

Here's a few pictures...

Orange Peel
I opened the garage bay door as it puts a strip of sunlight shining through the garage onto the large flat panel on the side and highlights the orange peel texture common to new/custom paint jobs.

1929_Pan_Dev_012.JPG

Here you can see the garage bay door open...

1929_Pan_Dev_013.JPG

Here you can see the orange peel...

1929_Pan_Dev_014.JPG

1929_Pan_Dev_015.JPG

1929_Pan_Dev_016.JPG

I adjusted a camera setting to darken the shot...

1929_Pan_Dev_017.JPG

Looks like the texture on the peel of an orange - See the yellow pole in the reflection?

1929_Pan_Dev_018.JPG

It's this pole - if we do the job right, when the Model A comes back we'll take after shots and we should see dramatically more clear and defined reflections.

1929_Pan_Dev_019.JPG

Yet more....

There's a lot of thin panels and intricate areas on these old body designs so to work these small areas we're going to get small to quote Steve Martin...

1929_Pan_Dev_023.JPG

1929_Pan_Dev_024.JPG

1929_Pan_Dev_025.JPG

1929_Pan_Dev_026.JPG

1929_Pan_Dev_027.JPG

1929_Pan_Dev_028.JPG

Time to shut down the Show Car Garage!

I'll be here tomorrow morning around 8:00am

See everyone tomorrow...

Car looks cool but I wouldn't want to be in any kind of car accident in these things. Looks like its as strong as a lunchbox.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Looks like a real awesome project. Looking forward to seeing those pictures!

Back