Compound coverage on pad

mchandler

Reaction score
I could use some advice on how to better distribute compound/polish on my pads.

For today's session I went with a flat orange Lake Country pad (5.5") and Meg's M105 compound. I spritzed the pad with Adam's exterior detail spray and applied 5 pea/dime-sized drops of product.
"Stamped" the pad over a 1.5' x 2' section, and distributed product with my G9 set to 1. Correction was done at setting 5. After a couple of passes I added a few more drops of compound.

View attachment 75958

The blue tint you see on the pad is where I accidentally went over some masking tape.

I start with four drops.

I'm more concerned about how the film of product orients itself over the area. I want a nice, thin film of product over the surface. From there I feel confident I have enough polish to begin my process. Also, the pad should self prime as I work the paint.

I reload with two drops.

I like to prime my pad with a thin layer of product across the entire face of the pad; and around the edges of the pad if I will be polishing into contours. Spread the product around with a finger or spreader, and then wipe the pad with a terry cloth towel to remove any excess and prevent any premature pad saturation.

There are many opinions whether priming is necessary or not, but that is the way I do it.

The pattern of compound shown on your pad is actually quite typical, especially so when you start with only a few drops on a dry pad.

Regardless of whether a pad is primed or not, when adding additional product to the pad, more often than not I will do so nearer the outer circumference of the pad, as the product will tend to migrate to the center when using random orbital polishers.

As for spritzing the pad with a liquid detail spray or pad conditioner, I have found that to be completely unnecessary, and even detrimental, as it relates to pad saturation.

I always start off by applying a circles worth of polish/compound around the pad and never bother to “stamp” the panel prior to starting. I feel that just diminishes the amount of product I need in order to get started and defeats the purpose of me just having applied enough product to prevent dry buffing.

That’s just my 2 cents though and I’ve got a pet peeve against stamping the panel. I’ve also got a pet peeve against burritos that are cut in half with a knife… If you ever want to ruin a perfectly good burrito, cut it in half! Lol.

If it ain’t a circle it just doesn’t feel right.

69c196b07420ec40ad0a312d99230bc2.jpg

157d563d7995949a8605b329f064a9ac.jpg

4c15e8668e30410f34885c387573cfbb.jpg

Microfiber pads are the lone exception. I do prime those.

Those circles look like way too much product to me.

7” pad… But I do tend to use more product than less when it comes to just about everything. You should see how much Beadmaker I spray on a vehicle. Lol

But it’s only 3 dots thereafter.

I always start off by applying a circles worth of polish/compound around the pad and never bother to “stamp” the panel prior to starting. I feel that just diminishes the amount of product I need in order to get started and defeats the purpose of me just having applied enough product to prevent dry buffing.

That’s just my 2 cents though and I’ve got a pet peeve against stamping the panel. I’ve also got a pet peeve against burritos that are cut in half with a knife… If you ever want to ruin a perfectly good burrito, cut it in half! Lol.

Looks like a ELZETTA flashlight there?

I start with four drops.

I'm more concerned about how the film of product orients itself over the area. I want a nice, thin film of product over the surface. From there I feel confident I have enough polish to begin my process. Also, the pad should self prime as I work the paint.

I reload with two drops.
This^ is my process as well.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Looks like a ELZETTA flashlight there?

There’s no name brand on it, just the typical “CREE Led” flashlight with an absurd amount of lumens that are sold on Ebay. I forgot how many lumens they claim it is, but it’s crazy bright and when at full zoom can illuminate an object a couple of blocks away. Lol.

I’ve had it for a few years and have come to the conclusion that the only real thing that sets these flashlights apart are the rechargeable batteries you put in them.

I agree with this.

Back